OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 09:10:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beautiful Passion Week!  (Read 1047 times) Average Rating: 0
desertrose

Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me .

« on: March 21, 2005, 03:14:24 PM »

Ohmygosh! How incredible passion week is! The Palm Sunday procession yesterday at our parish was so beautifull! It was my first in an Orthodox church!
I am being Chrismated next Sunday and have an all day retreat on Holy Saturday with my fellow Catechumen, it is my first confession to God with my preist present! Any ideas, suggestions, comments?
Desertrose

Split to keep topics separate.  ~ Pedro
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 06:00:26 PM by Pedro » Logged

O Lord, baptize me with love,
Jesus teach me gentleness
Gracious Master remove my fear.
Holy Spirit reveal my sin.
Lord Jesus, help me feel loved.
Sabbas
Drink from your own wells
High Elder

St. Glicherie True Orthodox Church of Romania

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 06:10:58 PM »

desertrose can you explain to me why the Indian church you belong to uses the Gregorian Paschalion? I am just curious because I have never heard this. The Coptic church in America still uses the Alexandrian Paschalion like the Orthodox.

I am glad you had a Good Passion week! I would be interested in hearing what the service is like in the Indian church.

www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 06:29:43 PM »

The Indian Church adopted the Gregorian Paschalion and Menaion in 1953, partly due to influence from the Indian government.

The Armenian Church adopted the Gregorian Paschalion and Meanion sometime this century.

The Syriac Orthodox Church in the Middle East adopted the Gregorian Menaion but kept the Julian Paschalion, in imitation of the New Calendar Byzantine Orthodox Churches.

The Coptic and Ethiopian Churches never changed their calendar.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 06:07:58 PM »

The Indian Church adopted the Gregorian Paschalion and Menaion in 1953, partly due to influence from the Indian government.

The more I learn about it, the more I realise it was not "partly" but mostly due to secular concerns.  It was deemed better to change the calendar and allow as many as possible the chance to have days off for holy days and go to church for divine worship and the sacraments rather than stick with the old calendar and not allow a considerable amount of people this privilege (the government wasn't going to give everyone every religious holiday they wanted, and wanted to "streamline" the Christians).  Although I would prefer the old calendar, I wouldn't criticise the decision to change in this instance. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: