OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 04:53:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pray for Terri  (Read 2074 times) Average Rating: 0
Kizzy

« on: March 20, 2005, 11:36:09 PM »

Please Pray for Terri Schiavo and her family who are going through a very difficult time.

In XC, Kizzy
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 12:40:08 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Kizzy

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 11:16:57 PM »

It is amazing not more people responded in prayer here....May God have mercy on us all...

In XC, Kizzy
Kizzy

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 11:46:45 PM »

The issue of her technical condition is irrelevant to me... the only relevant issue is that she is not dying, she can breathe and digest nutrition on her own. She is severely disabled.   I have seen numerous retarded children who require incredible aid from their parents. If they were to let them starve to death, they would be guilty of neglect.  If Terri was home with an illness or disability that  required spoon feeding and her husband let her starve, he would be guilty...Nursing homes are guilty if they leave alzheimer's patients in their excrement and don't feed them...  The fed judge in Florida is a pro-choice Clinton appointee.  Everyone sees the link between this and abortion from the political side.  What about the link between this and wrongful death in care of disabled people who have been fighting for support.  So if anyone has a child with cerebral palsy or other serious illness.. let them starve... abort babies... play God....  The only reason Terri will die here is because she is being starved, not because she is dying... 

I had an uncle with severe Downs syndrome.  He could walk but barely talk. He had no teeth, could only eat baby food,  and the docs told my Grandparents he wouldn't live passed 16.  He had the last word.  He died at 48... but for all those years, my Grandmother fed him, bathed him, shaved him and wiped his bottom.. and loved him...and that is why he lived. We loved him dearly...I had an Aunt with Lou Gehrig's disease.  She needed to be fed and helped around.  She died in her sleep from natural suffocation,as a result of the disease.  But she was not starved to death. When my father was dying of cancer, he was given morphine and an IV for hydration and nutrition.  The cancer killed him, not starvation...

There are too many unanswered questions in this case regarding the circumstances of her collapse, the details of her inhumane treatment by her husband, and lack of clarity on her wishes.  In fact her husband said on TV he didn't know what she really wanted.... Also apparently the case was first ruled a homicide- the police had been called by the paramedics when she collapsed.  Her husband issued orders that she was to be kept in a dark room with no tv, music, or any stimulation. He didn't even want her bathed... this goes back years.  And he only came forward with a 'her wish' statement after many years... probably so he could get on with his love life.... He did not seek an anullment from the church, which would have been the proper approach were he a decent guy.  The bulk of the money he was awarded was not spent on treatment but on lawyers...  And her nurse has come forward now that the 'gag order' on her was removed and told all.. how her husband would say ' how much money he get when that 'bitch' dies..."

Regardless of all of this, anyone who things this is not an issue for Orthodoxy is mistaken:  It is one thing to remove a feeding tube, another to deny her communion! So who's next guys??? She was even denied an ice cube.  It is not that the feeding tube was removed,  but that they want to assure she dies body and soul... freedom of religion is also at question... We are all dying with her...and rather than 'forget her' during lent, we should all be praying for her and her soul, and her parents....I am amazed and thoroughly disappointed that few on this list  have even said this...  I will post separately a note from a lawyer with her just before they pulled the tube.

In XC, Kizzy
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 12:38:24 AM »

I generally haven't responded in the Prayer Fourm, but for this I shall.

+Ü-ì-ü+¦+¦, +ò+++¡++-â++++.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 01:11:18 AM »

Lord, Have mercy on her.

And Kizzy - be a little more patient with the folks on here - some have either given up the 'Net for Lent, or have scaled back on it (like me).
No matter whether one believes that she should be fed (I do) or not, we should pray God's will be done and His mercy be on her no matter what.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 02:27:39 AM »

Yara Burham

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 12:33:17 PM »

Lord have mercy.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 01:12:22 AM »

May Christ our God have mercy upon Terri Schaivo and her family during this time of difficulty and hardship, and provide strength, comfort and peace to Terri so that no matter what happens, it will be for the greater glory of God.

In Christ,
Aaron
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 02:54:07 PM »

Gospodi Pomiluj
irene

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 04:39:12 PM »

Terri hasn't had food or water since March 18th----unbelievable.   Is it just me, or do others feel God's hand in helping her?   And, now the Pope is in the news with a nasogastric feeding tube.    Think He is trying to tell us all something?   

Am praying for a miracle-----
Kizzy

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 07:59:34 PM »

Terri hasn't had food or water since March 18th----unbelievable. Is it just me, or do others feel God's hand in helping her? And, now the Pope is in the news with a nasogastric feeding tube.  Think He is trying to tell us all something?

Am praying for a miracle-----

Me too!!  May the Lord show us his power by reversing this currently horrific event...and help Terri and her family... and  help everyone to BELIEVE!!

In XC, Kizzy

In XC, Kizzy
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 12:15:04 PM »

Prayers + for Terri's repose, and the comforting of her family. Also pray for the many in a similar situation.

Lord have mercy.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 12:17:41 PM »

Terri Schiavo dies in hospice
PINELLAS PARK, Fla. (AP) — Terri Schiavo, the severely brain-damaged woman who spent 15 years connected to a feeding tube in an epic legal and medical battle that went all the way to the White House and Congress, died Thursday, 13 days after the tube was removed. She was 41.
      Schiavo suffered severe brain damage in 1990 after her heart stopped because of a chemical imbalance.    
Getty Images

Schiavo died at the Pinellas Park hospice where she lay for years while her husband and her parents fought over her in the nation's most bitter — and most heavily litigated — right-to-die dispute. (Related video: Years in the courts)

The feud between the parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, and their son-in-law continued even after her death: The Schindlers' spiritual advisers said the couple had been at their daughter's besides minutes before the end came, but were not there at the moment of her death because Michael Schiavo did not want them in the room.

"And so his heartless cruelty continues until this very last moment," said the Rev. Frank Pavone. He added: "This is not only a death, with all the sadness that brings, but this is a killing, and for that we not only grieve that Terri has passed but we grieve that our nation has allowed such an atrocity as this and we pray that it will never happen again(Related audio: Pavone talks of final moments)

David Gibbs III, a lawyer for the Schindlers, said: "This is indeed a sad day for the nation, for the family. ... God loves Terri more than they do. She is at peace."

Michael Schiavo's attorney, George Felos, announced the death but had no immediate comment beyond that.

A small group of activists sang religious hymns outside the hospice, raising their hands to the sky and closing their eyes.

Dawn Kozsey, 47, a musician who was among those outside Schiavo's hospice, wept. "Words cannot express the rage I feel," she said. "Is my heart broken for this? Yes."

Schiavo suffered severe brain damage in 1990 after her heart stopped because of a chemical imbalance that was believed to have been brought on by an eating disorder. Court-appointed doctors ruled she was in a persistent vegetative state, with no real consciousness or chance of recovery.

The feeding tube was removed with a judge's approval March 18 after Michael Schiavo argued that his wife told him long ago she would not want to be kept alive artificially. His in-laws disputed that, and argued that she could get better with treatment. They said she laughed, cried, responded to them and tried to talk.

During the seven-year legal battle, Florida lawmakers, Congress and President Bush tried to intervene on behalf of her parents, but state and federal courts at all levels repeatedly ruled in favor of her husband. The case focused national attention on living wills, since Schiavo left no written instructions in case she became disabled.

After the tube that supplied a nutrient solution was disconnected, protesters streamed into Pinellas Park to keep vigil outside her hospice, with many arrested as they tried to bring her food and water. The Vatican likened the removal of her feeding tube to capital punishment for an innocent woman. The Schindlers pleaded for their daughter's life, calling the removal of the tube "judicial homicide."

By Evan Vucci, AP
Terri Schiavo's family suffered a final setback in court on Wednesday.

An autopsy is planned, with both sides hoping it will shed more light on the extent of her brain injuries.

Gov. Jeb Bush, whose repeated attempts to get the tube reconnected also failed, said that millions of people around the state and world will be "deeply grieved" by her death but that the debate over her fate could help others grapple with end-of-life issues.

"After an extraordinarily difficult and tragic journey, Terri Schiavo is at rest," Bush said. "I remain convinced, however, that Terri's death is a window through which we can see the many issues left unresolved in our families and in our society. For that, we can be thankful for all that the life of Terri Schiavo has taught us."

President Bush, the governor's brother, was expected to speak on Schiavo's death later Thursday.

Although several right-to-die cases have been fought in the courts across the nation in recent years, none had been this public, drawn-out and bitter.

Six times, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to intervene. Schiavo's fate was debated on the floor of Congress and by President Bush, who signed an extraordinary bill March 21 that let federal judges review her case.

"In extraordinary circumstances like this, it is wise to always err on the side of life," the president said.

But federal courts refused again and again to overturn the central ruling by Pinellas County Circuit Judge George W. Greer, who said Michael Schiavo had convinced him that Terri Schiavo would not have wanted to be kept alive by artificial means.

Described by her family as a shy woman who loved animals, music and basketball, Terri Schindler grew up in Pennsylvania and battled a weight problem in her youth.

"And then when she lost all the weight, she really became quite beautiful on the outside as well. What was inside she allowed to shine out at that point," a friend, Diane Meyer, said in 2003.

She met Michael Schiavo — pronounced SHY-voh — at Bucks County Community College near Philadelphia in 1982. They wed two years later. After they moved to Florida, she worked in an insurance agency.

But recurring battles with weight led to the eating disorder that was blamed for her collapse at age 26. Doctors said she suffered severe brain damage when her heart stopped beating because of a potassium imbalance. Her brain was deprived of oxygen for 10 minutes before she was revived, doctors estimated.

Because Terri Schiavo did not leave written wishes on her care, Florida law gave preference to Michael Schiavo over her parents. But the law also recognizes parents as having crucial opinions in the care of an incapacitated person.

A court-appointed physician testified her brain damage was so severe that there was no hope she would ever have any cognitive abilities.

Still, her parents, who visited her nearly every day, reported their daughter responded to their voices. Video showing the dark-haired woman appearing to interact with her family was televised nationally. But the court-appointed doctor said the noises and facial expressions were reflexes.

Both sides accused each other of being motivated by greed over a $1 million medical malpractice award from doctors who failed to diagnose the chemical imbalance.

However, that money, which Michael Schiavo received in 1993, has all but evaporated, spent on his wife's care and the court fight. Just $40,000 to $50,000 remained as of mid-March.

Michael Schiavo's lawyers suggested the Schindlers wanted to get some of the money. And the Schindlers questioned their son-in-law's sincerity, saying he never mentioned his wife's wishes until winning the malpractice case.

The parents tried to have Michael Schiavo removed as his wife's guardian because he lives with another woman and has two children with her. Michael Schiavo refused to divorce his wife, saying he feared the Schindlers would ignore her desire to die.

Schiavo lived in her brain-damaged state longer than two other young women whose cases brought right-to-die issues to the forefront of public attention.

Karen Quinlan lived for more than a decade in a vegetative state — brought on by alcohol and drugs in 1975 when she was 21; New Jersey courts let her parents take her off a respirator a year after her injury. Nancy Cruzan, who was 25 when a 1983 car crash placed her in a vegetative state, lived nearly eight years before the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that her parents could withdraw her feeding tube.

Schiavo's feeding tube was briefly removed in 2001. It was reinserted after two days when a court intervened. In October 2003, the tube was removed again, but Gov. Jeb Bush rushed "Terri's Law" through the Legislature, allowing the state to have the feeding tube reinserted after six days. The Florida Supreme Court later ruled that law was an unconstitutional interference in the judicial system.

Nearly two weeks ago, the tube was removed for a third and final time.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
irene

OC.net

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 12:27:11 PM »

Seems surreal.....allowing someone to die from withholding water and food------and the police given the job to ensure she doesn't get food or water?Huh   Mind boggling, really.     

Puts the fire under me whereas before i always let others do the work----respecting life no matter what the disability or situation.

How much pain can her husband inflict on her family?   Even taking her to Pennsylvania for burial.    Can't he just give them some say?

I pray for her family, and the repose of her soul.   She will be always remembered.

Irene

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 01:16:01 PM »

(breaking the fast for this)

A la sierva de Dios difunta Terri que duerme en la esperanza de la resurrecci+¦n a la vida eterna, que el Se+¦or Dios la recuerde en Su reino perpetuamente, ahora y siempre y por los siglos de los siglos.  Amen.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
kermeni

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 03:03:08 PM »

In America you have a lot of money. Why did nt gave money in order to stay alive Terri Schiavo ?

ΟΡΙΣΜΕΝΟΙ ΛΕΝΕ ΟΤΙ ΕΙΜΑΣΤΕ ΧΩΜΑ. ΑΛΛÎÅ
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: