I'm going to try to respond to the article you posted by "Stephen Schwartz". I've read many other articles from "Mr. Schwartz", and I think many are familiar that he is an Islamicist that supports the spread of Islam world wide. Yes, he does condemn wahhabism, but I've read articles of his, much like that of Alija Izetbegovic, advocating the gradual "take over" of Islam on the theory of only the strong shall survive.
1. "There have never been muslim militants in Kosovo". The KLA was classified a terrorist organization by Washington as late as 1998, because their "militant" activities are well known. This is just ridiculous. The KLA is funded by drugs, prostitution and connections to Saudi Arabia, this is not a secret. Oh, and one last thing.... I guess the Muslim Albanians that murdered my Great Grandfather, cut him into pieces, scattered his body across a field (in the 50's), weren't militant... they were just celebrating Ramadan.
2. Talk to Albanian Catholics and Orthodox Albanians, you'll find out in a hurry that they would rather stay with Serbia and Serbs. In fact, even Amnesty International has reported that "centrist" Albanians have been murdered by the KLA, because of wanting to remain with Serbia.
3. Haradinaj is not an muslim extremist. Okay, lets accept this false premise for second. So, he's not, than he is a secular extremist who raises the religious cause in times of convenience. Yes, I see how this is much better.
4. Dare I quote Noam Chomsky, but he has documented (at length), expulsions of Albanians DID NOT occur until after bombing. This has been proven time and again. So called "ethnic cleansing" took place as a result of NATO bombs, not Serbs.
5. If 190 Orthodox Churches destroyed or descecrated is not "organized" what is?
6. See #4.
7. He never talks about who killed who. Most foresenic experts agree that the MAJORITY of killings in Kosovo was done at the hands of Albanians.
8. Racak did happen. I am not a Serbian apologist. It shouldn't have. It gave the west a false pretext to do what they did to Serbia (ie: bombing with depleted uranium etc...). Racak is insignificant compared to more than 60 years of systematic expulsion and intimidation against Serbs in Kosovo.
9. Bosnia is not Kosovo, Bosnian Serbs are not Kosovo Serbs. This is the shell game people like Suleyman oops I mean Schwartz like to play. The photo was never shown to be conclusive either way.
10. Cizinec already made one point, spot on. Also, the Serbian role in WWII is well documented and one only need to do a search on a place called Jasenovac to know the truth.
11. Jews in Israel were generally split along religious vs. secular lines. The religious Jews generally siding with Serbs.
12. He misses the point. They bombed Serbs on Pascha. They didn't bomb muslims during Ramadan. It shows a general disrespect for Orthodoxy.
13. Iranians are not involved in Kosovo. Hmmm, I wonder why dead Mujahdeen kept turning up during the war. Maybe they were doing peaceful missionary work for Osama.
14. He dances around this one. Take a look at the demographics of Serbia vs. Croatia and Slovenia, you'll find it startling to see the ethnic composition of Serbia is much more multi-ethnic than other areas of the former Yugoslavia.
15. Milosevic is a criminal, but does not belong in the Hague. I've done work there, the case against him is a joke. It is built on the backs of liars who were forced into false testimony for plea bargains. I think if you look at the plea bargain of Biljana Plavsic you'll see the truth. She was one of the highest ranking politicians in the Bosnian Serb parliament, but would not testify against Slobo, because she said it would be a lie. She also said she had NO affinity toward him, but that she could not betray her conscience. She got 8 years. Slobo should have been tried in Belgrade for defrauding his own people.
16. Again, dancing around the issue. I once read an article (many years ago... I think from the Guardian in England) about an investigtive journalist going to Bosnia to investigate the mass rapes. She said that when she was in England, she was told the number was 20,000 rapes. As she got within 500 miles of Bosnia, the number was dropped to 2000. When she got to within 50 miles of the Bosnian border, the number dropped to 200. Once inside Bosnia, the number dropped to 20 and when she went to interview the women, she could only find 2 that would say they were raped. In my books, that is two to many, and the animals who committed rape (on all sides) should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. However, the exaggerations of rape did represent a systematic propoganda campaign used to demonize the Serbs in the eyes of a relatively uniformed public.
17. He say Rugova is not like Arafat. He follows this by saying, neither were religious and it is clear from their actions, both were opportunists for western involvement. Right, no similarities at all.
18. He says in one breath "no fundamentalist minorities" then contradicts his own statement by saying "Saudi and other Gulf Arab agents had been, to repeat, investigated, arrested, and expelled, or their activities otherwise seriously limited". It is the last part that tells all. What doe seriously limited mean? Now the Mujahadeen are limited to recruiting rather than carrying out systemtic murder against Serbs?
19. I recenlty told someone I was Serbian, they responded by telling me, "they didn't know Siberia was its own country". Enough said.
In sum, Mr. Islam Schwartz's article is full of holes. I've written to him personally several times, of course, he has never responded. Empty rhetoric without challenge is what has fueled the demonization of Serbs and Serbia.
I'd also like to say (as I did earlier), I'm not a Serbian apologist. I don't deny that "some" Serbs have done wrong in the Balkans. However, nothing that us Serbs have done, warrant the destruction of our Churches, murder of our people and the theft of our land.