Author Topic: Orthodox Prayer Books & Horologion  (Read 852 times)

Offline antonypaul

• Canamorthodox Blog
Orthodox Prayer Books & Horologion
« on: February 10, 2014, 03:59:34 AM »
+

Peace and grace!

I was reading a post here that discussed differences between the Jordanville Prayer book, the Holy Transfiguration Monastery Prayerbook (HTM) and a few others.

As an Oriental Orthodox, I'm used to using the Coptic rite horologion. I recently picked up Fr. John McGuckin's collections of prayers and really enjoyed the EO services of hours that were in his compilation.

My question is - what exactly are these prayerbooks? I thought that they contained the hours in them, but then someone said they prefer the horologion because it uses the psalms. That confused me because i thought any service that had the hours in them contained the psalms!

So, can someone help me with:

What's the difference between the Horologion and any of those two prayerbooks?
What are the liturgies of the hours in the EO tradition?
How are the prayerbooks used?
What do the EO consider 'canon' prayers?
When is Akathist prayed and is there any relation between the Akathist and canons and Horologion?

Pray for me,
ap

Offline frjohnmorris

• OC.net guru
Re: Orthodox Prayer Books & Horologion
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 02:22:07 PM »
+

Peace and grace!

I was reading a post here that discussed differences between the Jordanville Prayer book, the Holy Transfiguration Monastery Prayerbook (HTM) and a few others.

As an Oriental Orthodox, I'm used to using the Coptic rite horologion. I recently picked up Fr. John McGuckin's collections of prayers and really enjoyed the EO services of hours that were in his compilation.

My question is - what exactly are these prayerbooks? I thought that they contained the hours in them, but then someone said they prefer the horologion because it uses the psalms. That confused me because i thought any service that had the hours in them contained the psalms!

So, can someone help me with:

What's the difference between the Horologion and any of those two prayerbooks?
What are the liturgies of the hours in the EO tradition?
How are the prayerbooks used?
What do the EO consider 'canon' prayers?
When is Akathist prayed and is there any relation between the Akathist and canons and Horologion?

Pray for me,
ap

A prayerbook contains prayers said as part of one's private devotions. The Horologion contains the unchangeable parts of the daily services  such daily Vespers, Matins and the Hours. It is a book for the chanter. It is basically an outline of the services containing the parts that are always chanted with indications that the blanks are filled in with selections from other books such as the Book of the 8 Tones (Oktoechos), (the changeable parts of the services in the 8 tones for every day of the week), the Lenten Triodion (the services for Great Lent and Holy Week), the Pentecostarion (the services for the period between Pascha and Pentecost)
A canon is a long hymn made up of 9 Odes each of which is based on one of the 9 Biblical Odes or Canticles. However, except during Great Lent, we do not chant the 2nd ode of a canon because the 2nd ode is to penitential being based on Deut. 32:1-43.
The original Akathist Hymn was a mediation on the Annunciation and Incarnation. It is chanted on  Fridays during Great Lent in the Greek and Antiochian tradition. It is divided into 4 sections. One section is chanted on each of the 4 Fridays of Great Lent as part of Little Compline. On the 5th Friday the entire Akathist Hymn is chanted. The word Akathist literally means not sitting because not only the Priest, but the entire congregation stands during the chanting of the Akathist Hymn. This is because the people of Constantinople gathered to for the Akathist Hymn to celebrate the victory over the victory over the Persians who attacked Constantinople in 629. There are also Akathist Hymns for many Saints.

Fr. John W. Morris
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:29:32 PM by frjohnmorris »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 04:54:31 PM »
Fwiw, you can look at this page for an idea of what is in such prayer books. With a few exceptions I think the Jordanville there is probably not much different than the other editions (though they sometimes add or subtract a thing or two).

Offline antonypaul

• Canamorthodox Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 04:53:07 AM »
+

peace and grace!

thank you very much to you both!

pray for me,
ap