Author Topic: What do you think of Yoga ?  (Read 6023 times)

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: What do you think of Yoga ?
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2016, 11:21:58 AM »
I recently started doing yoga with my wife. I always jokingly made fun of her for "worshipping Satan" every time she did it, but I gave it a whirl because I was having some anxiety over some health issues. It made me feel a lot better actually.

The girl who hosts the classes on the DVD's we are using doesnt make it all spiritual and weird. Its like you're just stretching. None of that "become one with the universe" stuff.

Its surprisingly difficult too. I thought yoga is exercise in the same way that cheerleading is a sport (zing!) but ive been sore for several days now.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 11:23:58 AM by Timon »
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2016, 12:15:13 PM »
mental

physical

These are the same thing...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2016, 01:14:17 PM »
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2016, 01:18:09 PM »

Natural body flexibility exercise.
Learn meditation.

Offline christiane777

• Elder
  • and drinketh water of the raine of heauen
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: God
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2016, 01:30:41 PM »
I recently started doing yoga with my wife. I always jokingly made fun of her for "worshipping Satan" every time she did it, but I gave it a whirl because I was having some anxiety over some health issues. It made me feel a lot better actually.

The girl who hosts the classes on the DVD's we are using doesnt make it all spiritual and weird. Its like you're just stretching. None of that "become one with the universe" stuff.

Its surprisingly difficult too. I thought yoga is exercise in the same way that cheerleading is a sport (zing!) but ive been sore for several days now.

I love it, absolutely love it.  Have done it for years. 

And it is just stretching.  (unless you are "new age" and choose to make a spiritual thing of it; though I do pray to the Holy Trinity and sometimes say the Jesus Prayer or Hail Marys when I do more relaxed yoga; I also do that exactly the same way when walking or running)  Mine is at a gym.  In addition to improving circulation, sleep, and helping with weight loss/control, it is surprisingly good for balance, muscle toning and strengthening; also calming, mood improving.  The other good thing about it is that you get benefits from it whether you are a total pro pretzel kind of person or just a 75 old barely doing it at all, lifting your leg or arm a little here and there.  Works with the body, with what you have in terms of balance, muscle and builds from there.  Low impact.  You improve quickly.

It amazes me how superstitious people get about it.  I think people who regularly exercise and already do a wide form of stretching exercises, pilates, etc., approach yoga from such a different viewpoint and background than new agers - the two lines of thought don't really meet.  Also I think the yoga thing as religion in the West is frankly a little dated - 90s, 80s, 70s, even.  It has kind of passed as a phase, at least with mainstream folks.  Today, 'consciousness' or whatever, is the last thing on anybody's mind when doing yoga.  You basically just don't want to do too much damage or fall down.   :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:44:14 PM by christiane777 »
I was in the spirit on the Lords day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2016, 01:37:21 PM »

And you haven't even got started on the arm balances! :police:
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2016, 01:41:48 PM »
mental

physical

Yeah...
If a person thinks he is the king of France or has the highest state of consciousness in Nirvana it does not mean that this is physical reality.

The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2016, 01:59:51 PM »
mental

physical

Yeah...
If a person thinks he is the king of France or has the highest state of consciousness in Nirvana it does not mean that this is physical reality.

True. But if you think your severed limb hurts, you can still be in pain. The brain plays weird tricks on the rest of the body sometimes.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2016, 02:14:12 PM »
mental

physical

Yeah...

True. But if you think your severed limb hurts, you can still be in pain. The brain plays weird tricks on the rest of the body sometimes.
Yes, due to physically injured nerve endings.
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2016, 02:18:43 PM »
http://orthodoxinfo.com/general/yoga-and-orthodoxy.pdf

I know there are many here who may dismiss the above article; not least of all because it comes from orthodoxinfo.com. I think it should still be read and considered.  I am not dismissive of this article.  The personal experiences of the author obviously shape his perspective and warnings which can be a reason to heed the article - and for others of you perhaps dismiss it.

To those who think yoga is "done" in the west. There are plenty of people still in the west dabbling into the meditative side of yoga in addition to the body movements.  I know plenty of people in their 30s and younger exploring these practices.  They may not be going to ashrams but they are certainly attempting to "dissolve the self" through whatever hackneyed Easternesque practice.

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2016, 02:24:38 PM »
We accept yoga as sport or relaxing the body, controlling the breathing, we don't accept yoga as religion.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:25:00 PM by Indocern »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2016, 02:39:48 PM »
mental

physical

Yeah...

And if you look in a $5 contraption that shows a mirrored image of your other limb (the one still there), it 'tricks' your brain into thinking that both limbs are present, abd then the phantom limb pain goes away or is at least minimized in many people. Mental trickery = less physical pain. But of course it's not mental insofar as it's your physical nervous system doing the work, and it's not physical insofar as there is no 'physical' reality to a hurting limb being present. Your original question was not about the power of thought physically making you the king of France, or some such, it was can 'mental' stuff "create epilepsy, physical pain, and physical symptoms?" The answer is yes, and the 'how' of it is partly explained by my answer--that there is not as sharp a division between material and what we think of as immaterial as we often think.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2016, 02:40:44 PM »
mental

physical

Yeah...

And if you look in a $5 contraption that shows a mirrored image of your other limb (the one still there), it 'tricks' your brain into thinking that both limbs are present, abd then the phantom limb pain goes away or is at least minimized in many people. Mental trickery = less physical pain. But of course it's not mental insofar as it's your physical nervous system doing the work, and it's not physical insofar as there is no 'physical' reality to a hurting limb being present. Your original question was not about the power of thought physically making you the king of France, or some such, it was can 'mental' stuff "create epilepsy, physical pain, and physical symptoms?" The answer is yes, and the 'how' of it is partly explained by my answer--that there is not as sharp a division between material and what we think of as immaterial as we often think.

+1

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2016, 02:50:34 PM »
If the practitioner suffers from a spiritual void, that dimension of yoga can definitely fill it, but it won't force itself where there is no space for it. No amount of Sun Salutations will make one a Hindu or Buddhist, just like no amount of prostrations will, in and of themselves, make one a Christian. I've practised with other Christians, agnostics and atheists, and even more who didn't even bother to share their spiritual affiliations. There's no such thing as rallying under the eight-spoked banner. ;D

The article dwells a lot on the concept of kundalini, which, as I mentioned further up, is incompatible with Orthodoxy. Not all yoga styles are esoteric like that. A lot will also depend on one's relationship with their instructor, and how much influence they allow him or her to have on their life. The average BWY-certified instructor who teaches a class at a different town hall every day of the week is unlikely to have any gurulike aspirations, let alone go for spiritual domination through discipleship.

If, at any time during practice, things become in any way uncomfortable (physically, sexually, mentally or spiritually), just stop. If you can't keep working under the particular circumstances, look for different ones. There are plenty of options.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Jude1:3

• I Believe The Apostles'/Nicene Creed
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2016, 01:59:20 PM »
I would personally stay away from Kundalini Yoga.

This video shows the similarities of Charismatic Nonsense and Kundalini Yoga:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmaYLIvuV6k
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:59:46 PM by Jude1:3 »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2016, 09:39:43 AM »
It's okay to do yoga purely for the exercise

Something that most of us home practitioners have been saying forever.

Offline DanielBodnar

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2016, 11:57:33 AM »

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2017, 09:31:24 PM »
Elderly yoginis have greater cortical thickness

"In the same way as muscles, the brain develops through training," explains Elisa Kozasa of Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein in São Paulo, Brazil, a researcher involved in the study, which was recently published in Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience. "Like any contemplative practice, yoga has a cognitive component in which attention and concentration are important."

Previous studies have suggested that yoga can have greater health benefits than similar aerobic exercises, and yoga practitioners have shown improved awareness, attention and memory. Older adults with mild cognitive impairment have also shown improvements after a short yoga training program.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2017, 03:10:38 PM »
It seems to have resemblance to hesychasm and to calisthenics. I guess you could just do secular calisthenics and Orthodox hesychasm separately and get the same benefits, couldn't you?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 03:11:15 PM by rakovsky »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2017, 03:29:28 PM »
It seems to have resemblance to hesychasm and to calisthenics. I guess you could just do secular calisthenics and Orthodox hesychasm separately and get the same benefits, couldn't you?

What are the benefits of each?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Online Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2017, 03:45:31 PM »
Just worship Christ in your mind and cast the incense into the fire in front of Apollo do the Downward Dog anyway!
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2017, 04:02:50 PM »
do the Downward Dog anyway!

Best shoulder opener out there.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2017, 04:11:47 PM »
I would think so.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2017, 05:09:31 PM »
I would think so.

What are the benefits of each? How can you make a comparison without knowing the benefits of each?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2017, 05:29:44 PM »
I would think so.

What are the benefits of each? How can you make a comparison without knowing the benefits of each?
If Hesychasm involves increasing one's attention and memory (as yoga seems to do), then it would also lead to greater thickness in the left prefrontal cortex.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2017, 05:49:44 PM »
I doubt too many folks western or Hindu have a goal of macho-ing up their brain membranes, but thanks for at least trying to describe the benefits of hesychasm.