OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 01:44:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic Church sold to Orthodox  (Read 556 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish45

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin

« on: February 04, 2014, 01:00:44 AM »

Hello all! 

I was driving last week and I was in a part of Attleboro, MA that I hadn't been in before.  I noticed a Catholic Church on the right but it looked like it was beat up.  I thought it had possibly closed down recently.  I have a sick disease where if I drive by a Catholic or Orthodox Church I haven't seen before, then I have to go home and look it up and see pictures of it and read about it.  This occasion was no different, and to my surprise it was sold to a Coptic Orthodox community.  I had to see a Churches closed, especially when they were built on the blood and sweat of underpaid, overworked immigrants.  This pleases me to see it go to a communion of Christians who know sacrifice all too well.  I realize this is a new article but I judged it to be more appropriate here, but if I am wrong sorry!

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news/local_news/egyptian-church-opens-at-former-st-joseph-s-site/article_251ea6c7-4dbb-537b-8764-de47a594f4ec.html
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 01:07:32 AM »

Pictures of Pope Francis of Rome and Pope Tawadros II of Alexandria, the head figures of the new and old church faiths, are on each side of the altar.
"We're going to keep the church the way it is," Gobran said, adding there would only be minor changes to the majestic brick building.

Neat article, but this bit seems somewhat strange. I also wonder if this means they have no plans to add an iconostasis, or if it's one of the minor changes.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 01:29:20 AM »

Copts working miracles:

How often do you see a Roman Catholic priest looking like a Roman Catholic priest in the United States (e.g., wearing cassock, surplice, cope, and biretta)?  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:29:38 AM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 01:31:27 AM »

Copts working miracles:

How often do you see a Roman Catholic priest looking like a Roman Catholic priest in the United States (e.g., wearing cassock, surplice, cope, and biretta)?  Smiley

Maybe it was a Latin Mass parish?

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Irish45

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 03:14:20 AM »

I don't think it was a Latin Mass parish.  I think it was a show of respect for this holy occasion.  The Latin Mass doesn't do to well up here.
In case anyone missed the link on the article, here is the photo gallery for the article.
http://www.thesunchronicle.com/gallery/attleboro/ceremony-of-transfer-at-st-joseph-s/collection_476ac426-4d9f-11e3-b484-0019bb2963f4.html
Irish45

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 10:42:14 AM »

Sorry to revive an old threat, but I wanted to share the Facebook page of this Church because they have hundreds of pictures and they have renovated the Church.  I think it looks beautiful, although I am Roman Catholic and would not be able to tell if they did a good Job from a Coptic perspective.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Holy-Family-Coptic-Orsozox-Church-Of-Attleboro-MA/620134264744258

If the link doesn't work then search google for "Holy Family Coptic Orthodox Church Attleboro, MA".  It's "unofficial" Facebook page is listed on the first page.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 12:00:21 PM »

Orsozox!  I've often heard it pronounced that way, but never have I seen it spelled that way...how cute!

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 12:17:43 PM »

Someone needs to tell them...

Shocked

xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 01:26:07 PM »

Orsozox!  I've often heard it pronounced that way, but never have I seen it spelled that way...how cute!

lol Now I can get behind those who are critical of Arabism.  laugh
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 01:28:10 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: