OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 03:23:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bible for Evangelicals vs Orthodox.  (Read 1241 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 12:57:27 PM »

Uhh... It's kinda what Christianity teaches. Islam teaches it too.  Wink Hell, even Hellenistic Judaism believed in the idea of the human Logos before Christianity.

Okay, so you know that word of God is a person because the Christianity and Hellenistic Judaism teaches it. How does Christianity and Hellenistic Judaism know?
Divine revelation
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2014, 12:58:53 PM »

Are you guys seriously challenging whether Scripture is the Word of God? Scripture being the word of God does not negate Jesus or Tradition from being the word of God, it is only Protestants who view Scripture exclusively as the word of God (and Jesus). Also, why are you guys treating Raylight like a SS Protestant when he clearly is not? This seems kinda anti-Protestant to me.

I am concerned about that survey. Though it's probably because Protestants and Orthodox have different views on what and what isn't the word of God.

Scripture is the words of men inspired by God. God didn't literally say every word of Scripture.
And yet because it's inspired by God, it is possible and even right to call Scripture the word of God (while also calling Christ the Word of God).
Rambam
High Elder

Faith: Check
Jurisdiction: I'm color blind

"If you like your Ebola, you can keep your Ebola."

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2014, 01:10:40 PM »

Scrolling through this thread, I had a question pop into my mind:

What's the purpose of the Bible? (I don't think anyone's spoken on this yet.)

Honestly, after reading the posts collected here, it sounds like the Bible may just be more trouble than its worth -- with all these protestants running around and reading it on their own and whatnot.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2014, 01:13:10 PM »

Scrolling through this thread, I had a question pop into my mind:

What's the purpose of the Bible?

How one person answered this:

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Laird
Not yet able to attend an Orthodox church
Elder

Faith: Inquirer (Catechumen soon hopefully)
Jurisdiction: Baptist

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2014, 02:21:50 PM »

Are you guys seriously challenging whether Scripture is the Word of God? Scripture being the word of God does not negate Jesus or Tradition from being the word of God, it is only Protestants who view Scripture exclusively as the word of God (and Jesus). Also, why are you guys treating Raylight like a SS Protestant when he clearly is not? This seems kinda anti-Protestant to me.

I am concerned about that survey. Though it's probably because Protestants and Orthodox have different views on what and what isn't the word of God.

Scripture is the words of men inspired by God. God didn't literally say every word of Scripture.

Yes... but that doesn't mean we can't call Scripture the word of God.

The Scriptures both are the word of God and are about the Word of God, Jesus Christ. They are God's revelation of himself, the word of God in the words of men.http://orthodoxwiki.org/Holy_Scripture
systratiotes

Faith: Primitive Christian
Jurisdiction: Universal

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2014, 02:02:46 PM »

That is an interesting survey.  Thanks for posting it.

One thing I will say, of whatever evils we might accuse the Protestants; please realize that without them first publishing Bibles that people could posses as their very own, neither Orthodox nor Catholic faithful would own personal copies of the Bible today.   

Personally I take a very high view of scripture because very much stands upon it's authority.  I'm not able to explain how God inspired the men who wrote the first manuscripts.  Nobody can.  But I think we have to accept as a matter of faith that the Bible has authority for our lives because it is the product of God's mind given to communicate truth to feeble persons as me.

I am convinced the Apostle Paul wrote the epistle we call Second Timothy and in 3:16 when he wrote that "all scripture is God-breathed", he meant what we call the "Old Covenant According to the Seventy."  That would have been the scripture that Greek speaking Timothy would have known from a child.  Paul's own writings show that he personally was thoroughly saturated with the text according to the Seventy.  That was the Bible the Apostle Paul and Timothy knew.

The writers of the New Testament being inspired by the Holy Spirit cited the Seventy as the authority behind their teaching.  So did the earliest Church Fathers.  The earliest Church Fathers clearly believed the Holy Writings of the Seventy and the the New Testament are inspired scripture. Since the Apostles and they were witnesses closest to the biblical events, I think it appropriate to give their faith them some credit.

I take a high view of scripture and that is why I pursue a seminary education, that I might learn to handle scripture well.  I am not a professional theologian but I am working toward a doctorate.  As an academic I have seen modern theological agendas along with liberal theology destroy many student's high view of scripture.  I think that has some bearing on the increasing degree of heterodoxy and heresy espoused by professional theologians from every denomination today.

M. Kostas, ThM
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2014, 05:59:08 AM »

I object to both options. The bible is divinely inspired while being written by Men.

Thank you.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: