OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 02:35:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comparative Religions in the U.S  (Read 383 times) Average Rating: 0
Raylight
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian.

« on: February 02, 2014, 08:52:36 PM »

The source is http://religions.pewforum.org/comparisons#

Social issue :

1/ On the issue of Abortion.

Legal in all cases
: Orthodox 24% - Catholics 16% - Evangelicals 9% - Jews 40% - Muslims 13% - Unaffiliated 29% .

Illegal in all cases : Orthodox 10% - Catholics 18% - Evangelicals 25% - Jews 5% - Muslims 13% - Unaffiliated 8% .

2/ On the issue of Homosexuality.

Homosexuality should be accepted : Orthodox 48% - Catholics 58% - Evangelicals 26% - Jews 79% - Muslims 27% - Unaffiliated 71%.

Homosexuality should be rejected : Orthodox 37% - Catholics 30% - Evangelicals 64%  - Jews 15% - Muslims 61% - Unaffiliated 20% .

Beliefs and Practice :

1/ Believing in God :

Believe in God for certain : Orthodox 71% - Catholics 72% - Evangelicals 90% - Jews 41% - Muslims 82% - Unaffiliated 36%.

Do Not Believe in God
: Orthodox 4% - Catholics 1% - Evangelicals 0% - Jews 10% - Muslims 5% - Unaffiliated 22%.

2/ Importance of Religion in One's life
:

Very important : Orthodox 56% - Catholics 56% - Evangelicals 79% - Jews 31% - Muslims 72% - Unaffiliated 16% .

Not at all : Orthodox 12% - Catholics 9% - Evangelicals 3% - Jews 28% - Muslims 9% - Unaffiliated 57% .

Good bye OC.net. I will not post in this forum anymore. I'm thankful to several members here who helped me so much and stood by me. God Bless You All Smiley
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:10:17 PM »

Those are some sad stats.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:31:07 PM »

I like statistics. Interesting how close Catholics and Orthodox are on many of these.

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:36:39 PM »

I like statistics. Interesting how close Catholics and Orthodox are on many of these.
And yet Muslims are more Christian than both according to those answers.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 09:50:46 PM »

What I have noticed is that Evangelicals are better on the issue of believing in God, I mean how could someone call himself/herself Orthodox or Catholic and yet doesn't believe in God!!?? And also worst that than that, 71% of Orthodox believe in God for certain while 72% in Catholics, that means more than 25% of Catholics and Orthodox don't believe in God for certain!! Orthodoxy/Catholicism for some people become cultural thing and that is it, we must do something about it or in few decades Orthodoxy/Catholicism will be just something you born with and that is it.

Good bye OC.net. I will not post in this forum anymore. I'm thankful to several members here who helped me so much and stood by me. God Bless You All Smiley
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 10:11:08 PM »

You have a strange notion of what makes someone a Christian. But hey, that's pretty much par for the course around here.

Some openly advocate genocide and support genocidal leaders, so why not toss out Christ along with Christ.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 10:13:23 PM »

We find in the writings of the Church Fathers complaints that the Christians of their time didn't abide by the moral teachings of the Church, didn't read the Bible, cared about celebrities or their appearance more than spiritual matters, etc. Cheer up, we'll make it Smiley

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:15:57 PM »

We find in the writings of the Church Fathers complaints that the Christians of their time didn't abide by the moral teachings of the Church, didn't read the Bible, cared about celebrities or their appearance more than spiritual matters, etc. Cheer up, we'll make it Smiley

Not likely, but some others others might.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 01:55:44 AM »

Indeed distressing. Sad

Some openly advocate genocide and support genocidal leaders
Really? Who? That would be disappointing if true. Almost as disappointing as posters who support maniac rebels that behead Christians and desecrate Churches.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:01:35 AM by Severian » Logged

"What on Earth was I smoking?"

-My personal reaction when re-reading half of the c**p I've written on this forum.
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 02:16:14 AM »

Oh oh!!  I kind have a feeling that something is going to happen on this thread. so no matter what it is, let us keep civil Smiley

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 02:17:23 AM »

Oh oh!!  I kind have a feeling that something is going to happen on this thread. so no matter what it is, let us keep civil Smiley
Don't worry, I am intent on keeping the peace. Smiley

"What on Earth was I smoking?"

-My personal reaction when re-reading half of the c**p I've written on this forum.
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 02:18:09 AM »

That is good then  Wink

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 02:34:37 AM »

Sad if accurate, but interesting to contrast with the statistics touched on in this this AFR special:

Theologically, Orthodox parishes are much more conservative—that’s fact number two—than Roman Catholic and old-line Protestants. So one of the questions in this survey Faith Communities Today asked: How would you describe theological outlook of the majority of your regularly participating adults? By the way, we asked the questions of these clergy, so each congregation or Roman Catholic parish was providing information based on responses of clergy. In case of Eastern Orthodox parishes, 70% of our clergy said, “You know what? I would say that a majority of my parishioners have conservative theological outlook.”

So you might say we are in the same boat with the Evangelical Protestants. Of course, being theologically conservative for Evangelical Protestants and for us are different things, different theology, but we think of ourselves similar to Evangelical Christians as being theologically conservative. There is huge difference in this regard between us and Roman Catholics and old-line Protestants, who tend to think of themselves as being theologically moderate or even liberal, in case of old-line Protestants. So we are in the same boat with Evangelical Christians with our perception of being conservative theologically.

But perhaps, since the quote above is dealing with pastors and I'd imagine their active parishioners, the OP's survey is wider to include nominal affiliates.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 08:51:15 PM »

That is good then  Wink

Then I come along.  Smiley

It does not surprise me that Evangelicals are heavier in faith.  This is because most evangelicals try to accept and follow the scriptures & the commandments of God.  When you inbreed "church tradition" including "pagan influenced church tradition" over the very words and commandments that Christ gave us, make excuses for it, and the bishops allow people to usurp the scriptures with tradition, it renders a weaker faith.

When people adhere to the "pagan Christians" and allow them to be recognized as saints, along with claiming Saints (absorbing) that practiced worship unlike your own faith, it proves an entirely weak foundation.

I wish the Anabaptists were included on this, as the stats would probably be shocking.

I am married to a moderately conservative Mennonite.  I have been to their churches and know their families.  I have not seen any evidence that one supports homosexual behavior or does not believe in God.  They all abhor abortion and keep religion fully in their life.  Even the school curriculum they use - every lesson revolves around God.   The group varies yes, and I'm sure there are exceptions, but generally I find very heavy faith within that people.

When you allow church tradition to let you disobey God, what else can you expect but for people to become less faithful, but rather let their tradition become their idol.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 07:45:03 PM »

Oh oh!!  I kind have a feeling that something is going to happen on this thread. so no matter what it is, let us keep civil Smiley

That is good then  Wink

Then I come along.  Smiley

It does not surprise me that Evangelicals are heavier in faith.  This is because most evangelicals try to accept and follow the scriptures & the commandments of God.  When you inbreed "church tradition" including "pagan influenced church tradition" over the very words and commandments that Christ gave us, make excuses for it, and the bishops allow people to usurp the scriptures with tradition, it renders a weaker faith.

When people adhere to the "pagan Christians" and allow them to be recognized as saints, along with claiming Saints (absorbing) that practiced worship unlike your own faith, it proves an entirely weak foundation.

I wish the Anabaptists were included on this, as the stats would probably be shocking.

I am married to a moderately conservative Mennonite.  I have been to their churches and know their families.  I have not seen any evidence that one supports homosexual behavior or does not believe in God.  They all abhor abortion and keep religion fully in their life.  Even the school curriculum they use - every lesson revolves around God.   The group varies yes, and I'm sure there are exceptions, but generally I find very heavy faith within that people.

When you allow church tradition to let you disobey God, what else can you expect but for people to become less faithful, but rather let their tradition become their idol.

You are calling the Saints "pagans", calling us Orthodox and Catholics pagans ?! How dare you !! WE are the ones who gave you the Bible, the CHURCH is the one that gave you the faith. Where were you when the Church stood against the heretics ? Tell where were you ?!

Saying the classes in your schools revolves around God ? You don't mean God, you mean revolves around creationism BS.

I've been one of you guys, and I know how you think.

When I read about the history of the Church and the early Fathers writings I can't but wonder how much you Evangelicals are missing.

I went to your churches and sorry but clapping and dancing and jumping and crying out loud and falling on the ground and speaking with languages even Aliens themselves can't understand, is NOT worshiping. that is a party rock. But NOTHING compares to the real worshiping that only find it in the Catholic and the Orthodox Churches.

These 'pagan saints' as you called them DIED for their faith, they gave up all the money and fame for the glory of God. Please, go learn some history instead of sticking with rednecks BS.

Peace.

Oh one more thing,with all due respect Wink
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:01:20 PM by Raylight » Logged

Rambam
High Elder

Faith: Check
Jurisdiction: I'm color blind

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 07:58:48 PM »

creationism BS

Well, the good book does say, "There was evening and there was morning. One day."

XOXO!
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 08:00:05 PM »

creationism BS

Well, the good book does say, "There was evening and there was morning. One day."

XOXO!

Okay, I can't tell if you are serious or joking ? Sorry, m,y fault  Cheesy

Rambam
High Elder

Faith: Check
Jurisdiction: I'm color blind

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 08:08:21 PM »

Actually. I'm totally serious, but in aid of playing the rodeo clown. You were comin' in hot on mah boy yeshuilialialaiamiaia.

creationism BS

XOXO!

Jovan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 08:09:10 PM »

Oh oh!!  I kind have a feeling that something is going to happen on this thread. so no matter what it is, let us keep civil Smiley

That is good then  Wink

Then I come along.  Smiley

It does not surprise me that Evangelicals are heavier in faith.  This is because most evangelicals try to accept and follow the scriptures & the commandments of God.  When you inbreed "church tradition" including "pagan influenced church tradition" over the very words and commandments that Christ gave us, make excuses for it, and the bishops allow people to usurp the scriptures with tradition, it renders a weaker faith.

I am married to a moderately conservative Mennonite.  I have been to their churches and know their families.  I have not seen any evidence that one supports homosexual behavior or does not believe in God.  They all abhor abortion and keep religion fully in their life.  Even the school curriculum they use - every lesson revolves around God.   The group varies yes, and I'm sure there are exceptions, but generally I find very heavy faith within that people.

There is always a tradition linked to the faith you´re following. It is both self-destructive and contradictory to scripture to not follow or even utter that you don´t have any kind of tradition accompanying the scripture, faith or works.

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 08:14:34 PM »

Actually. I'm totally serious, but in aid of playing the rodeo clown. You were comin' in hot on mah boy yeshuilialialaiamiaia.

creationism BS

XOXO!

Okay, I can't tell if you are serious or joking ? Sorry, m,y fault  Cheesy

Sorry, I'm not English native speaker. Could you explain what you mean by what you said ?

About the creationism BS. Yes, it is, let's not insult the Bible by saying things it didn't say, even Jews themselves understood the story in Genesis symbolically. Anyway, I'm not going to give you a lesson in theology, I've already talked so many times about the whole creation vs evolution things and I'm kind sick of it. If you want to know more about how to understand the creation story, you could go to the early Church history and writings.

Please again explain to me what you meant above.

Peace.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:37:13 PM by Raylight » Logged

Jovan
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 08:16:02 PM »

Tradition nr1: Go to Mennonites for their church convinces my own will.

Nr 2: Bash other church traditions without even taking the tradition for what it really is.

Nr 3: The church is a idea, not a real place that the gates of hell could prevail against. And because the Lord contradict himself as the one body of Christ seemed to be corrupted in history. We see ideas like this taking place, where someone can choose and make up their own church tradition without even noticing it:

"Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together"

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Jovan
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 08:18:24 PM »

And just by scratching on the surface creates problems, when these turns into detailed discussions about doctrines, prayer, fasting and all kind of different topics, then we definitely will see church tradition fly out from every corner.

Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 09:27:52 PM »

creationism BS

XOXO!

Changed my mind, don't explain to me what you meant, as it doesn't matter to me what you think, after what you said about teaching your kids that creationism BS and dinosaurs never existed!! WOW!!

Peace.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: