OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 07:44:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coherence  (Read 261 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« on: February 02, 2014, 04:56:04 PM »

In what way does the world make sense to you? Preferably in a non-religious way, but if not that, then at least perhaps in a non-standard religious way?

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 07:41:01 PM »

I'm not sure the world does make sense to me  Undecided.  Even when I look to my faith, what little of it there is, and to Christ, well...I'm still at a loss, to be perfectly honest.  I don't know how else to answer the question.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Jovan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 08:04:44 PM »

From a non-religious view I only see machinery, a piece of metal being printed with standards and musts so that it later can go off for a life-time of worthless work.

To put is harshly ;P

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 08:18:52 PM »

In a non-religious sense - it makes absolutely no sense. 

To be honest, if not for my Faith, and faith, I think I would go insane.

Without knowing that God is there to help me, and the fact that my religious beliefs help me put things in proper perspective...I would not be able to function.  I would be overly stressed, under huge pressure, and constantly struggling to make sense of it all.

Even so, too often I see the cruelties of the world, the injustices, the judgmentalism of others, the lack of morals of society, the huge egos, and selfishness, pride, greed, etc...and it gets me down.  If not for my belief in God, I would be completely broken by what I see happening around me.

However, my Faith teaches me that all this is transitory.  I am only here for a given amount of time.  I am not to wallow in self pity or desolation....but, I am to take it one day at a time, one step at a time, with a prayer on my lips, and go forth and make the corner of the world in which I find myself at the moment, a little better.  Ease someones grief, pain, hardship.  Bring a smile to someone who is sad.  Feed someone who is hungry.  Touch someone who is lonely.

With God to help me, I can get through almost anything...and if things don't go my way...I need to realize that it's not over....God has something else planned for my future.

I can't imagine living in this world, without the knowledge and love of God to bolster and support my daily efforts.

Thank God, there is God.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:40:33 AM »

The world has sense always. There is a deeper spiritual meaning behind the world which will be perfectly obvious in the age to come. Everything happens for a reason and the world has continuity and coherence from its beginning until its end both on a macro and micro scale, even though apparently it may not seem so. In other words, God organizes everything, even if we don't believe it. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:41:06 AM by IoanC » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »

Without knowing that God is there to help me, and the fact that my religious beliefs help me put things in proper perspective...I would not be able to function.  I would be overly stressed, under huge pressure, and constantly struggling to make sense of it all.

Even so, too often I see the cruelties of the world, the injustices, the judgmentalism of others, the lack of morals of society, the huge egos, and selfishness, pride, greed, etc...and it gets me down.  If not for my belief in God, I would be completely broken by what I see happening around me.

However, my Faith teaches me that all this is transitory.  I am only here for a given amount of time.  I am not to wallow in self pity or desolation....but, I am to take it one day at a time, one step at a time, with a prayer on my lips, and go forth and make the corner of the world in which I find myself at the moment, a little better.  Ease someones grief, pain, hardship.  Bring a smile to someone who is sad.  Feed someone who is hungry.  Touch someone who is lonely.

With God to help me, I can get through almost anything...and if things don't go my way...I need to realize that it's not over....God has something else planned for my future.

I can't imagine living in this world, without the knowledge and love of God to bolster and support my daily efforts.

Thank God, there is God.

+1

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »

Thank God, there is God.

I am the opposite.  Looking at it from a sociological, political, point of view, it makes a whole lot of sense.  It is all about power.  You have power blocs, alliances, trade, stratification of wealth, etc.  We have been doing this from the Sumerians on and have been using the same brain (in essence) from Cro-Magnons on.  I look at the world and I see a bunch of monkeys arguing over who get the most bananas, and a bunch of them have sticks. 

Then again, from a religious point of view it still makes sense, it's just a lot quicker to explain.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 03:01:39 PM »

I agree with Liza. The world does not make sense to me, without a religious pov.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 05:02:02 PM »

So, Asteriktos...in what way does the world make sense to you?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 08:57:50 AM »

It doesn't make sense to me. Whether that's because the world doesn't make sense, or I have something obstructing my ability to see it, or both, I don't know.

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 09:01:50 AM »

It doesn't make sense to me. Whether that's because the world doesn't make sense, or I have something obstructing my ability to see it, or both, I don't know.

Maybe it makes sense, but you just don't want to believe how dumb it is.
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 09:06:07 AM »

Probably both.

The tension that arises from our perception of the "cracks" in the world that are senseless are related to the fact that you also perceive those cracks should not exist and sense should be everywhere, every second.

We sort of understand that either the world should make sense all the time or never. And, the trouble is, it sometimes does, it sometimes doesn't.
This is the sheer fact. An important consequence of that is that if sense in the world exists but not in a homogeneous way in time and space, then "sense" and "world" are different things that sometimes intersect and sometimes they don't. It also means that "sense" is its own thing. Even if I think in a strictly materialistic view, this sense is in me, and that would make humans the most unlikely unique miracle in the universe, the only material phenomena that has "sense" in them. The only problem is that there is no place for uniqueness or phenomena that happens only once in a materialistic universe.

To cut it short, I believe that if one presses this concept of sense, he will inevitably get to the concept of a living and personal God in relation to Whom, the world is sometimes in Him and sometimes not. That looks an awful lot like the "shattered icon" concept that is the idea of a "Fallen World", a world that was created good, but is not exactly good any longer because it is "broken" in some parts. It was created as full of meaning, but cracked and in these cracks there is no meaning, no sense.

And that makes sense to me. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:09:15 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 10:21:06 AM »

Probably both.

The tension that arises from our perception of the "cracks" in the world that are senseless are related to the fact that you also perceive those cracks should not exist and sense should be everywhere, every second.

We sort of understand that either the world should make sense all the time or never. And, the trouble is, it sometimes does, it sometimes doesn't.
This is the sheer fact. An important consequence of that is that if sense in the world exists but not in a homogeneous way in time and space, then "sense" and "world" are different things that sometimes intersect and sometimes they don't. It also means that "sense" is its own thing. Even if I think in a strictly materialistic view, this sense is in me, and that would make humans the most unlikely unique miracle in the universe, the only material phenomena that has "sense" in them. The only problem is that there is no place for uniqueness or phenomena that happens only once in a materialistic universe.

To cut it short, I believe that if one presses this concept of sense, he will inevitably get to the concept of a living and personal God in relation to Whom, the world is sometimes in Him and sometimes not. That looks an awful lot like the "shattered icon" concept that is the idea of a "Fallen World", a world that was created good, but is not exactly good any longer because it is "broken" in some parts. It was created as full of meaning, but cracked and in these cracks there is no meaning, no sense.

And that makes sense to me. Smiley
Makes sense to me too. Smiley

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Cackles
Warned
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (Canada)

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 12:53:49 AM »

In what way does the world make sense to you? Preferably in a non-religious way, but if not that, then at least perhaps in a non-standard religious way?

The world easily makes sense for most people. Get married, have kids, try to have a career. You know. Thats typically what our world is cased on. The worls is about 'ruuning the rat race of life' for most people. People with ASD can not comprehend the world they are in. Its like another planet to them.

Trying to 'figure out' what makes people 'tick' is easy - selfish motivation for more jost of the people on earch, amd for about 15%, selfless motivation. Christ tought selfless motivation, but regardless, selflish motivations make up the majority of religious pleople IMO.

The above things really are at the core of making sense of the world. It explains all the ills on oir world.

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
Cackles
Warned
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (Canada)

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 12:53:49 AM »

The world has sense always. There is a deeper spiritual meaning behind the world which will be perfectly obvious in the age to come. Everything happens for a reason and the world has continuity and coherence from its beginning until its end both on a macro and micro scale, even though apparently it may not seem so. In other words, God organizes everything, even if we don't believe it. Smiley

The problem is when the above sentiment begins to become Hindu philosohpy.

The bible clearly suggests that God doesnt plan everything in advance when it comes to humanity. Its part of having free choice. If everything is predetermined (which is actually a Hindu philosophy), then living life is pointless and theres no free choice. You are trapped like an animal in the Trueman show.

I personally think God lets us be and have free will. He only intervenes and uses his Hand to have major things happen. When we fail again as humans, then he'll come in and intervene. But I dont believe in predeterminism of all outcomes as that leads to Paganism and Idoltry.

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: