OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 08:56:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In General what are the opinions of the Orthodox on English NT Translations ?  (Read 281 times) Average Rating: 0
Jude1:3

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: USA

« on: February 01, 2014, 08:47:33 PM »

I guess this is a pretty broad question and I'll try to break it down to a few sections. * Are there any valid translations even if they are not made by the Orthodox ?

1.  What do the Orthodox think of the original 1582 Rheims New Testament made from the Latin Vulgate ?

2. What do the Orthodox think of the King James Version New Testament ?

3.  Are there any NT translations that the Orthodox think are horrible or corrupt ?

I own the EO Study Bible printed by Thomas Nelson and the EOB New Testament.

Thanks for your input.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 08:48:48 PM by Jude1:3 » Logged
Incognito777
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 01:30:20 AM »

I guess this is a pretty broad question and I'll try to break it down to a few sections. * Are there any valid translations even if they are not made by the Orthodox ?

1.  What do the Orthodox think of the original 1582 Rheims New Testament made from the Latin Vulgate ?

It's not good. Latin does not capture subtle nuances in the Greek language.

It is the best version in English today.

3. Are there any NT translations that the Orthodox think are horrible or corrupt ?

Most definitely. For example, the New World Translation (NWT) produced by the Jehovah's Witnesses. And in the Orthodox realm, I think Mother Mariam's (Holy Apostles Convent) NT translation is corrupt. She alone translated it, even though she has no scholarly credentials, and is not a Greek scholar. The Bible should be translated by a team of fully credentialed scholars. When one alone translates the Bible, personal biases can get in the way. I also don't think women should have this kind of scholarly ministry in the Church, pursuant to Saint Paul's admonition that women keep silent.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 02:38:39 AM »

It's not good. Latin does not capture subtle nuances in the Greek language.

It is the best version in English today.

3. Are there any NT translations that the Orthodox think are horrible or corrupt ?

Most definitely. For example, the New World Translation (NWT) produced by the Jehovah's Witnesses. And in the Orthodox realm, I think Mother Mariam's (Holy Apostles Convent) NT translation is corrupt. She alone translated it, even though she has no scholarly credentials, and is not a Greek scholar. The Bible should be translated by a team of fully credentialed scholars. When one alone translates the Bible, personal biases can get in the way. I also don't think women should have this kind of scholarly ministry in the Church, pursuant to Saint Paul's admonition that women keep silent.

Thank you very much for your response.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 02:46:13 AM »

Let me search for the definitive response.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 02:54:21 AM »

Let me search for the definitive response.

There are like 12 different posts of mine dealing with this, but the most simple is:

As said before there is only one correct answer here:

A paragraphed NKJV for daily use.

The Oxford RSV for more serious study now and then.

The KJV its cultural significance.

I can post others with more infos, but you would do well with just the first two. A paragraphed Bible is a relief for reading. And the best I've seen is the NKJV which is one of the better more contemporary translations into English.

There are a lot of other translations of the Bible into English I would recommend as well, as much for their faults as for their virtues.

But two is a great place to start. Just one will do.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 02:57:00 AM »

Thank you also.
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 07:21:17 AM »

I also don't think women should have this kind of scholarly ministry in the Church, pursuant to Saint Paul's admonition that women keep silent.

Then you would have a problem with St Kassiane the Hymnographer, a nun and abbess, who wrote many hymns, several of which are part of the permanent liturgical deposit, including in Holy Week services, and the Nativity feast.  police
Cackles
Warned
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (Canada)

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 12:53:49 AM »

1.  What do the Orthodox think of the original 1582 Rheims New Testament made from the Latin Vulgate ?

The Wycliffe Bible is better.

Junk. Comlete junk. I like to reference the king James just so i can laugh at the translation and their political slants. I'd say the King James is the biggest 'sham' in Christianity today.

There is no best Bible, but heres what I think:

Best Overall Bible (modern English readability, a 'go to' Bible): The Voice
Best Bible for reference, accuracy, comments, footnotes: The Knox Bible
Most accurate Bible on earth to use as the final authority: The Wycliffe Bible
Most accurate, AND easiest reading bible: ESV for the Deaf (i think free PDF online for this)
Most accurate NT for thos serious about disecting verses, debating others, bible study, exact meanings, and getting all information possible... Hands down best: John Mitchell New Testement.
Most easy reading and accurate NT to get the whole story and context: The Voice

Regardless, anything you quote needs to be backed by the Wycliffe as a double check, with the exeption of The Knox Bible as it's often accurate and reliable enough not to be checked to the Wycliffe. The Knox is a masterpiece and the most slept on Bible version there is. If anyone doesnt mind something a bit harder to read, and shuns easy-reading for full accuracy and comments/footnotes, then Knox would be a better choice than The Voice. The Knox seriously puts all the KJV to shame.

The absolute WORST translation of ANY BIBLE is the King James without a shadow of doubt. Its a horrible, horrible translation in my opinion. I'm simply amazed it's taken seriously and saddened that the Orthodox community uses this bible given the comtex of why it was created. Either way, its simply not adcurate in my opinion and should be avoided at all costs.

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: