OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 12:43:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anglican Church in North America Develops New Catechism  (Read 444 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 01, 2014, 09:21:53 AM »

The Anglican Church in North America [ACNA] is pleased to announce the release of To Be a Christian: An Anglican Catechism produced by the provincial Catechesis Task force.
The Most Reverend Robert Duncan, Archbishop of the Anglican Church in North America, noted the global impact of this work: “This Catechism assumes a post-Christian world where the basic foundations of the faith cannot simply be assumed.  It begins by outlining the faith for those who have no Christian background, or were never fully discipled. This production is a landmark offering, both for North Americans and for the whole Anglican world. Our Christian brothers and sisters from other provinces who saw advanced copies have enthusiastically begun translating the Catechism into their native languages.  So far we know of translation work in Spanish, Mandarin, Farsi, and Urdu.  We are excited to see this work expand in the days ahead.”

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 09:42:53 AM »

From the catechism:

Nicene Creed:
We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father [and the Son]1,
who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.
---- -----
1 The filioque [and the Son] is not in the original Greek text. Nevertheless, in the Western Church the filioque [and the
Son] is customary at worship and is used for the explication of doctrine [39 Articles of Religion]. The operative resolution
of the College of Bishops concerning use of the filioque is printed with the General Instructions at the end of the Holy
Communion, Long Form.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 09:46:23 AM »

From the catechism:

Nicene Creed:
---- -----
1 The filioque [and the Son] is not in the original Greek text. Nevertheless, in the Western Church the filioque [and the
Son] is customary at worship and is used for the explication of doctrine [39 Articles of Religion]. The operative resolution
of the College of Bishops concerning use of the filioque is printed with the General Instructions at the end of the Holy
Communion, Long Form.

Whats with the Brackets?  You either believe in the Filioque or you don't .........Neither hot or cold.....I spew thee out.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 09:59:11 AM »

Whats with the Brackets?  You either believe in the Filioque or you don't .........Neither hot or cold.....I spew thee out.
The brackets mean you can leave them in or leave them out.

College of Bishops Resolution Concerning the Nicene Creed (Epiphany, 2013, adopted unanimously)
Resolved,

The normative form of the Nicene Creed for the Anglican Church in North America is the original text as adopted by the Councils of Nicaea (325 A.D.) and Constantinople (381 A.D.). This form shall be rendered in English in the best and most accurate translation achievable.
Resolved,

The Anglican Church in North America acknowledges that the form of the Nicene Creed customary in the West is that of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer, including the words “and the Son” (filioque), which form may be used in worship and for elucidation of doctrine.
Resolved,

Because we are committed to the highest level of global unity possible, the College of Bishops of the Anglican Church in North America seeks advice of the Theological Commission of the Global Fellowship of Confessing Anglicans concerning implementation of the recommendation of the Lambeth Conference of 1978 to use the normative form of the Nicene Creed at worship.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:22:28 AM »

The brackets mean you can leave them in or leave them out.

College of Bishops Resolution Concerning the Nicene Creed (Epiphany, 2013, adopted unanimously)
Resolved,

The normative form of the Nicene Creed for the Anglican Church in North America is the original text as adopted by the Councils of Nicaea (325 A.D.) and Constantinople (381 A.D.). This form shall be rendered in English in the best and most accurate translation achievable.
Resolved,

The Anglican Church in North America acknowledges that the form of the Nicene Creed customary in the West is that of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer, including the words “and the Son” (filioque), which form may be used in worship and for elucidation of doctrine.
Resolved,

Because we are committed to the highest level of global unity possible, the College of Bishops of the Anglican Church in North America seeks advice of the Theological Commission of the Global Fellowship of Confessing Anglicans concerning implementation of the recommendation of the Lambeth Conference of 1978 to use the normative form of the Nicene Creed at worship.

Hopeless....
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »

From the catechism:

Nicene Creed:
---- -----
Communion, Long Form.

Anglicans, Episcopalians and Lutherans regularly do this.  They will render it as [and the Son] in their official books.  At dialogues with the Orthodox, they will agree that it should not be included in the creed because of the "unilateral" manner in which it was placed in there, but will still defend it theologically.  It's nothing to get anyone's hopes up.  The Western churches will never be rid of the Filioque.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 12:59:36 PM »

FWIW, I have a high church Episcopalian professor that doesn't recite the filioque, opposes its use, and seemingly wants to see the West abandon it. No doubt a minority position, but I find it interesting.
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 01:07:21 PM »

I found out that the Catholic Church believes that the origin, the first source of the Holy Spirit is the Father. Adding the Son is like when the Eastern Churches says that the Holy Spirit process from the Father through the Son. I never accepted that until I lately read more about it and many Catholics understand it that way, even some Orthodox here accept that, some said that the only objection is the way the Catholic Church added the filique.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »

I found out that the Catholic Church believes that the origin, the first source of the Holy Spirit is the Father. Adding the Son is like when the Eastern Churches says that the Holy Spirit process from the Father through the Son. I never accepted that until I lately read more about it and many Catholics understand it that way, even some Orthodox here accept that, some said that the only objection is the way the Catholic Church added the filique.
The main problem I see with the Roman Catholic position is that, if one can say that the H.S. proceeds from the Father and the Son "as from one principle and through one spiration" (CCC 246) -- because the Father and the Son share the same Divinity -- then one should also be able to say that the Son is begotten of the Father and the H.S. "as from one principle and through one begotting" as well.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 02:02:20 PM »

From the catechism:

Nicene Creed:
---- -----
Communion, Long Form.

Anglicans, Episcopalians and Lutherans regularly do this.  They will render it as [and the Son] in their official books.  At dialogues with the Orthodox, they will agree that it should not be included in the creed because of the "unilateral" manner in which it was placed in there, but will still defend it theologically.  It's nothing to get anyone's hopes up.  The Western churches will never be rid of the Filioque.

So much for unity......
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 02:09:12 PM »

All this talk about the RCC believing "through the Son" rather than "And the Son" would make one think that the wording would be changed officially, but even this addition would STILL be considered unauthorized and unapproved by the Church.  We all know the history of the why's of why it was added but that does not absolve the way in which it was installed into the western church.  Why not admit that it was a temporary fix at the time to explain the divinity of the Son to Arians in Spain and other locales in Europe and just eliminate it totally....?   Its NOT needed anymore.....
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:10:49 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
Mockingbird
Mimus polyglottos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Anglican (Episcopal Church)

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »

You lot are like kids at Christmas complaining about the gifts they didn't get.  Western Christianity is slowly moving in your direction on the filioque.  Why not be happy about it?

Forþon we sealon efestan þas Easterlican þing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, þaet we magon cuman to þam Easterlican daege, þe aa byð, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.--Byrhtferth of Ramsey
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 02:22:24 PM »

You lot are like kids at Christmas complaining about the gifts they didn't get.  Western Christianity is slowly moving in your direction on the filioque.  Why not be happy about it?

Sadly from what I see, is whenever a Catholic or Western Christian talk about reuniting, some of the members be negative on that and act as if this never going to happen !! Why not just be more humble and help each other to get closer and reunite and make Jesus's prayers come true ?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:25:53 PM by Raylight » Logged
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 03:17:10 PM »

You lot are like kids at Christmas complaining about the gifts they didn't get.  Western Christianity is slowly moving in your direction on the filioque.  Why not be happy about it?

Sadly from what I see, is whenever a Catholic or Western Christian talk about reuniting, some of the members be negative on that and act as if this never going to happen !! Why not just be more humble and help each other to get closer and reunite and make Jesus's prayers come true ?

lol We cannot 'reunite' if we just ignore the differences that exist between each other.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 03:22:29 PM »

lol We cannot 'reunite' if we just ignore the differences that exist between each other.

Much water has passed under the bridge since the Schism...
Mockingbird
Mimus polyglottos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Anglican (Episcopal Church)

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 05:07:45 PM »

We cannot 'reunite' if we just ignore the differences that exist between each other.

I don't see anyone ignoring differences.   In the preface to the Cyprus Agreed Statement of 2006, the co-Chairmen wrote
The results of the Commission’s deliberations are made available here in the hope that Anglicans and Orthodox will come to appreciate the things they have in common and to understand the nature of their disagreements.

The whole statement can be found at

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/ministry/ecumenical/dialogues/orthodox/docs/pdf/The%20Church%20of%20the%20Triune%20God.pdf

Those who are alert to the danger of ignoring differences should equally be alert to how hatred, bigotry, xenophobia, and self-satisfaction can disguise themselves as piety.

Forþon we sealon efestan þas Easterlican þing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, þaet we magon cuman to þam Easterlican daege, þe aa byð, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.--Byrhtferth of Ramsey
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 05:19:50 PM »

Those who are alert to the danger of ignoring differences should equally be alert to how hatred, bigotry, xenophobia, and self-satisfaction can disguise themselves as piety.

I was kind of happily suprised to read something this sensible regarding ecumenism around here but then I noticed it was written by an Anglican. Oh well.

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 01:30:20 AM »

There is another thread entirely dedicated to the word choices.  I won't recap that here but ex does not equal per.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: