OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 08:32:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A new look for a dour old Boston cathedral  (Read 442 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 30, 2014, 10:26:24 PM »

Until now, [the Cathedral Church of St. Paul, the seat of the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts], with its stately sandstone columns and recessed granite facade, has not had a very interesting exterior, said The Very Rev. John “Jep” Streit, dean of the Episcopal church, as he watched the installation from the sidewalk.

“People think it’s a bank or a courthouse,” said Streit, who wore a Red Sox baseball cap with his khaki suit and clerical collar. “We wanted something that would say, ‘What’s going on in there? Let’s go see.’ We wanted to invite people inside.”

The sculpture, titled “Ship of Pearl,” resembles a crosscut view of a chambered nautilus, its shell spinning outward. Designed by noted artist Donald Lipski, it borrows its title from the opening line of a poem by Oliver Wendell Holmes celebrating the nautilus as a symbol of constant change and spiritual growth.
Lipski said his biggest challenge was choosing an appropriate symbol or image. He wanted one spiritual in nature yet not narrowly or specifically Christian, he recalled, in keeping with the church’s all-inclusive mission.
Like the nautilus, Christianity is constantly growing and changing, he continued. A more conventional work might have pleased traditionalists, and quieted objections from those preferring a representation of Jesus Christ instead, not an abstract form drawn from nature.

“I understand that,” said Streit. “But to me that doesn’t capture the provocative nature of Christ. Putting his image on a cathedral would be an old story, in some sense. This is a new story. ‘Come in and see,’ it says.”

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:26:51 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:49:06 PM »

He wanted one spiritual in nature yet not narrowly or specifically Christian, he recalled, in keeping with the church’s all-inclusive mission.

Whenever I see "all-inclusive" used in such pronouncements, the Aesop's Fable of the man, his son, and their donkey comes to mind ....
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 10:54:19 PM »

So, a nautilus is a new story? Pfft...like those haven't been around for 500 million years.

Can someone please fire this very reverend idiot...I mean in a rocket aimed at the sun, or from a catapult, or something similar that would guarantee that he is unable to give any more interviews? The world does not need more post-modernist garbage masquerading as interesting. You want people to come to your church? Offer them timeless Christian truth, not gaudy abstract nonsense. Good job, now your phony baloney church looks like a rejected MOMA installation. That's soooo much better than a bank, for some reason. Roll Eyes

p.s.- Lipski is Jewish. Maybe that's why he didn't want anything too Christian for his contribution to a Church...? Ugh. Morons.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:00:02 PM by dzheremi » Logged

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 11:26:24 PM »

So, a nautilus is a new story? Pfft...like those haven't been around for 500 million years.

Can someone please fire this very reverend idiot...I mean in a rocket aimed at the sun, or from a catapult, or something similar that would guarantee that he is unable to give any more interviews? The world does not need more post-modernist garbage masquerading as interesting. You want people to come to your church? Offer them timeless Christian truth, not gaudy abstract nonsense. Good job, now your phony baloney church looks like a rejected MOMA installation. That's soooo much better than a bank, for some reason. Roll Eyes

p.s.- Lipski is Jewish. Maybe that's why he didn't want anything too Christian for his contribution to a Church...? Ugh. Morons.
Uh, I kinda empathize, but I don't think you get it. Those "timeless truths" that produced quite a bit art too, are long gone now. But they only produced what they did because of the patronage of the secular authorities. Christianity is now almost just an option among many, especially around here (urban west). all "christian art" produced today, especially visual, like painting or sculpture, is just kitschy  and ghetto. So, the Copts won't come upwith anything smarter than the nautilius.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 07:18:39 AM »

The nautilus' spiral seems like a pretty good symbol of the unending, infinite process of theosis.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 07:23:23 AM »

“We wanted something that would say, ‘What’s going on’

It worked.

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 07:24:51 AM »

The world does not need more post-modernist garbage masquerading as interesting.

A 21st century American convert to Coptic Orthodoxy is a postmodern phenomenon par excellence.

“We wanted something that would say, ‘What’s going on’

It worked.

No, it didn't. We sure know what's going. The shadow of Innsmouth is spreading.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 07:33:14 AM by Alpo » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 07:42:11 AM »

I prefer blues that are a bit more greyish, but otherwise very nice.

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 02:28:42 PM »

I like it a lot, but, if anything, it says 'museum' even more than it did before. Certainly not 'church'.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 10:35:21 AM »

If there were such a thing as  wandering ghosts like Dickens portrayed with Jacob Marley, would that they torment the idiots who desecrated this once venerable House of God. We didn't need commisars to do the dirty work here. Bah.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:35:43 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 11:30:48 AM »

I prefer the old pointy-looking European cathedrals. Now those are churches.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 03:35:14 PM »

Makes sense to have an image of sea-shell based on the Golden Ratio on a building associated with a proponent of the Golden Rule

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 03:38:23 PM »

Makes sense to have an image of sea-shell based on the Golden Ratio on a building associated with a proponent of the Golden Rule
Yup, Fibonacci strikes again. Grin
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:38:42 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: