OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 01:46:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On Lilies and Icons  (Read 191 times) Average Rating: 0
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« on: January 29, 2014, 11:34:29 PM »

I would pose a question to those familiar with the history of iconography. In the art of the Christian west, the Annunciation is commonly portrayed in a very particular manner. The angel Gabriel is most often shown bowing before the virgin, whilst presenting her with a white lily (either in hand or in a vase). This is a fair example :

Is this symbolism prevalent in the oldest of icons? Some icons I have seen have lilies while others do not (and I am curious as to when this type of depiction became common).

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 12:04:06 AM »

Is this symbolism prevalent in the oldest of icons?

No, it is not.

Some icons I have seen have lilies while others do not (and I am curious as to when this type of depiction became common).

Such imagery was not a feature of pre-17th century iconography. It began appearing after this, through the influence of Renaissance art, which led to the increasing use of a naturalistic painting style, and the incorporation of motifs from western religious art.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »

I had a feeling that may have been the case. Thank you, LBK.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: