Author Topic: On Lilies and Icons  (Read 261 times)

Offline Ioannis Climacus

• High Elder
  • "There is no religion higher than TRUTH"
On Lilies and Icons
« on: January 29, 2014, 11:34:29 PM »
I would pose a question to those familiar with the history of iconography. In the art of the Christian west, the Annunciation is commonly portrayed in a very particular manner. The angel Gabriel is most often shown bowing before the virgin, whilst presenting her with a white lily (either in hand or in a vase). This is a fair example :

Is this symbolism prevalent in the oldest of icons? Some icons I have seen have lilies while others do not (and I am curious as to when this type of depiction became common).
Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: On Lilies and Icons
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 12:04:06 AM »
Is this symbolism prevalent in the oldest of icons?

No, it is not.

Some icons I have seen have lilies while others do not (and I am curious as to when this type of depiction became common).

Such imagery was not a feature of pre-17th century iconography. It began appearing after this, through the influence of Renaissance art, which led to the increasing use of a naturalistic painting style, and the incorporation of motifs from western religious art.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Ioannis Climacus

• High Elder
  • "There is no religion higher than TRUTH"
Re: On Lilies and Icons
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »
I had a feeling that may have been the case. Thank you, LBK.
Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.