Author Topic: On Lilies and Icons  (Read 252 times)

Offline Ioannis Climacus

• High Elder
  • "There is no religion higher than TRUTH"
On Lilies and Icons
« on: January 29, 2014, 11:34:29 PM »
I would pose a question to those familiar with the history of iconography. In the art of the Christian west, the Annunciation is commonly portrayed in a very particular manner. The angel Gabriel is most often shown bowing before the virgin, whilst presenting her with a white lily (either in hand or in a vase). This is a fair example :

Is this symbolism prevalent in the oldest of icons? Some icons I have seen have lilies while others do not (and I am curious as to when this type of depiction became common).
Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: On Lilies and Icons
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 12:04:06 AM »
Is this symbolism prevalent in the oldest of icons?

No, it is not.

Some icons I have seen have lilies while others do not (and I am curious as to when this type of depiction became common).

Such imagery was not a feature of pre-17th century iconography. It began appearing after this, through the influence of Renaissance art, which led to the increasing use of a naturalistic painting style, and the incorporation of motifs from western religious art.
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.

Offline Ioannis Climacus

• High Elder
  • "There is no religion higher than TRUTH"
Re: On Lilies and Icons
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »
I had a feeling that may have been the case. Thank you, LBK.
Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.