OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 01:58:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christianity and Islam  (Read 2319 times) Average Rating: 0
andrewlya
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christianity is not a religion,it is a relationship with God

Christian all my life and still learning

« on: January 27, 2014, 09:18:30 AM »

Hi dear all, I would just like to share my experience and maybe there are some people on this forum who was also in my position.I used to date a girl who was a Muslim and we had been together for 3 years. When it came to marriage that's when we started debating about how we could reconcile out faith differences.She gave me Quran to read and I was quite scared reading it as I love my Christian faith a lot and I was scared in case this Quran would convert me..but Glory to God the Quran had sent me in the opposite direction because I did not feel the loving and kind G-d that we have in Christianity. Actually, this Quran is so anti Semitic that I'm surprised that it's not banned on racial or anti Semitic reasons.Also, I could not believe that G-d would order to fight the People of the Book I.e. Jews and Christians when these people of G-d. Also, reading the Quran as a non Muslim is not appealing to convert as it really is volatile to not just People of the Book but to non Muslims.There are plenty of other reasons that I did not agree with Islam. I also had a dream about my Granny who I loved so much and who had brought me to G-d and Christ when I was small.Now she's gone to our Father, a few years ago, and I had a dream about her telling me that she believes in Jesus Christ.So for me it was like a confirmation that I was right to have chosen to stay with Christianity. Needless to say, that we split up with that Muslim girl. I've now found a Christian girl who's the best girl I had ever dreamt of. Would be interesting if people can share similar stories or if you came to Christianity from Islam,G-D bless you all:)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:22:40 AM by andrewlya » Logged

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
Cackles
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (Canada)

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 01:14:03 PM »

Hi dear all, I would just like to share my experience and maybe there are some people on this forum who was also in my position.I used to date a girl who was a Muslim and we had been together for 3 years. When it came to marriage that's when we started debating about how we could reconcile out faith differences.She gave me Quran to read and I was quite scared reading it as I love my Christian faith a lot and I was scared in case this Quran would convert me..but Glory to God the Quran had sent me in the opposite direction because I did not feel the loving and kind G-d that we have in Christianity. Actually, this Quran is so anti Semitic that I'm surprised that it's not banned on racial or anti Semitic reasons.Also, I could not believe that G-d would order to fight the People of the Book I.e. Jews and Christians when these people of G-d. Also, reading the Quran as a non Muslim is not appealing to convert as it really is volatile to not just People of the Book but to non Muslims.There are plenty of other reasons that I did not agree with Islam. I also had a dream about my Granny who I loved so much and who had brought me to G-d and Christ when I was small.Now she's gone to our Father, a few years ago, and I had a dream about her telling me that she believes in Jesus Christ.So for me it was like a confirmation that I was right to have chosen to stay with Christianity. Needless to say, that we split up with that Muslim girl. I've now found a Christian girl who's the best girl I had ever dreamt of. Would be interesting if people can share similar stories or if you came to Christianity from Islam,G-D bless you all:)

Wow thats VERY rare that a muslim family let you date their daughter. i've only seen one imterfaith marriage in all my years. Even then she was Ismali muslim which are much less strict.

Islam also believes in Christ and believes in the virgin birth from God to Marry. But they dont believe in Jesus as a God or Diety. They also dont believe he died on the cross. They are also from the line of Ishmael.

If you like schollarly works and nitpicking rules, Islam is FILLED with scollars, rullings, schools. Etc. there is no religion that has more 'faith culture' than Islam. Nothing else even compares. The songs, dances, practices.

For instance they have tons of Holy grave sites they visit. They have traditions where they recite prayers that are word of mouth only. Like 'oral Torah' that gets passed down. They have strange stuff that goes on in the mosques that most dont realize. Like they'll have nights where they are yelling and jumping around praising God. Then the Shia's are well hated and considered a cult by many muslims. Then there's TONS of sects and unfortunately cults that get political funding. They do all the healing stuff too. They have TONS of cults and sects. You would think they are all the same but their not.

The Quran has so much war stories and fighting though. The Muslims are God fearing and monotheist.

And ultimately, 1.5 Billion people later must mean that God allowed this to happen. Maybe they really did meed this social reform for that region because before then was prostitues, idol worship, immoralism, etc. till this day strange stuff goes on in places like Saudi Arabia, Qutar, Oman, these kinds of places.. Weird stuff youd never ever think muslims do cause keep in mind how recent they are. Many countries are still new to Islam in context. It was Islam that kept the germanics out of the middle east. They did serve a pupose.

From experience Muslims are are 'schollars' more than 'workers'. Lazy. They stuff into Univerities. They love Govt jobs, immigration.. Those are always bad signs to me.

Orthodox are workers and business owners. They dont do well in University and Gov't jobs. They are similar to Jews in that regard but get their hands a bit more dirty doing honest work as compared with the Jewish community who often have more posch jons albiet in the private sector.

Yes and the Quran and muslims hate Jews man.. Wow... They're Imams always have to bring up something about jews.

I just get offended whem they call us 'polytheists'. That offends me. Its like they call Jews as is, then call us 'polytheists'. Im like whaa??

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
andrewlya
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:33:23 PM »

Wow thats VERY rare that a muslim family let you date their daughter. i've only seen one imterfaith marriage in all my years. Even then she was Ismali muslim which are much less strict.

Islam also believes in Christ and believes in the virgin birth from God to Marry. But they dont believe in Jesus as a God or Diety. They also dont believe he died on the cross. They are also from the line of Ishmael.

If you like schollarly works and nitpicking rules, Islam is FILLED with scollars, rullings, schools. Etc. there is no religion that has more 'faith culture' than Islam. Nothing else even compares. The songs, dances, practices.

For instance they have tons of Holy grave sites they visit. They have traditions where they recite prayers that are word of mouth only. Like 'oral Torah' that gets passed down. They have strange stuff that goes on in the mosques that most dont realize. Like they'll have nights where they are yelling and jumping around praising God. Then the Shia's are well hated and considered a cult by many muslims. Then there's TONS of sects and unfortunately cults that get political funding. They do all the healing stuff too. They have TONS of cults and sects. You would think they are all the same but their not.

The Quran has so much war stories and fighting though. The Muslims are God fearing and monotheist.

And ultimately, 1.5 Billion people later must mean that God allowed this to happen. Maybe they really did meed this social reform for that region because before then was prostitues, idol worship, immoralism, etc. till this day strange stuff goes on in places like Saudi Arabia, Qutar, Oman, these kinds of places.. Weird stuff youd never ever think muslims do cause keep in mind how recent they are. Many countries are still new to Islam in context. It was Islam that kept the germanics out of the middle east. They did serve a pupose.

From experience Muslims are are 'schollars' more than 'workers'. Lazy. They stuff into Univerities. They love Govt jobs, immigration.. Those are always bad signs to me.

Orthodox are workers and business owners. They dont do well in University and Gov't jobs. They are similar to Jews in that regard but get their hands a bit more dirty doing honest work as compared with the Jewish community who often have more posch jons albiet in the private sector.

Yes and the Quran and muslims hate Jews man.. Wow... They're Imams always have to bring up something about jews.

I just get offended whem they call us 'polytheists'. That offends me. Its like they call Jews as is, then call us 'polytheists'. Im like whaa??

Yes, her family was very liberal even though they are Sunni, the strictest branch. Her dad is very westernised and her mum is very traditional, but they were fine with us, but the only thing was that I had to convert to Islam in order to marry her, so I read the Quran and also some Hadiths, and found that it is not a a sequence of Judaism/Christianity...Ive studied it in great details, some of it makes sense, a lot of it doesn't like their belief that Prophet Muhammad will marry Mary, the mother of Jesus.
Also, I can't believe that God's chosen people i.e. would be so much hated by G-d as they are described the most bitter enemies of Muslims and this Hadith, is apparently,taught in Madrasas in Saudi Arabia, and probably, in other Islamic countries as Hadith is taught in Islamic as well as Quran.

Sahih Muslim,
Book 041, Number 6985:

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: The last hour would not come unless the Muslims will fight against the Jews and the Muslims would kill them until the Jews would hide themselves behind a stone or a tree and a stone or a tree would say: Muslim, or the servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me; come and kill him; but the tree Gharqad would not say, for it is the tree of the Jews.

Also,ive noticed that they have one version of Quran for Muslims and one for non Muslims that is translated less violent i.e. they use different translations, words, to one that's taught to Muslims so it appears more appealing to non Muslims.

And they say that Bible,Torah are distorted and corrupted but at the same time they refer to our Scriptures to justify the prophesy of prophet Muhammad,which is, clearly, not there...

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:39:01 PM »

wOW.

This is some thread. Cackles, keep up the fine work.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 07:50:07 PM »

Non-Muslim men are not allowed to be with Muslim women in Islam. Very few exceptions. One such exception is the adoption of Islam on the part of the men.

Here's one tradition I like to share.

Quote from: Sahih al-Bukhari 6819
Narrated Ibn `Umar:

A Jew and a Jewess were brought to Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) on a charge of committing an illegal sexual intercourse. The Prophet (ﷺ) asked them. "What is the legal punishment (for this sin) in your Book (Torah)?" They replied, "Our priests have innovated the punishment of blackening the faces with charcoal and Tajbiya." `Abdullah bin Salam said, "O Allah's Messenger (ﷺ), tell them to bring the Torah." The Torah was brought, and then one of the Jews put his hand over the Divine Verse of the Rajam (stoning to death) and started reading what preceded and what followed it. On that, Ibn Salam said to the Jew, "Lift up your hand." Behold! The Divine Verse of the Rajam was under his hand. So Allah's Apostle ordered that the two (sinners) be stoned to death, and so they were stoned. Ibn `Umar added: So both of them were stoned at the Balat and I saw the Jew sheltering the Jewess.

Quote from: St. John 7:53-8:11
53 Then they all went home, 8 1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.

2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11 “No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 07:51:55 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 07:55:17 PM »

]
Narrated Ibn `Umar:

A Jew and a Jewess were brought to Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) on a charge of committing an illegal sexual intercourse. The Prophet (ﷺ) asked them. "What is the legal punishment (for this sin) in your Book (Torah)?" They replied, "Our priests have innovated the punishment of blackening the faces with charcoal and Tajbiya." `Abdullah bin Salam said, "O Allah's Messenger (ﷺ), tell them to bring the Torah." The Torah was brought, and then one of the Jews put his hand over the Divine Verse of the Rajam (stoning to death) and started reading what preceded and what followed it. On that, Ibn Salam said to the Jew, "Lift up your hand." Behold! The Divine Verse of the Rajam was under his hand. So Allah's Apostle ordered that the two (sinners) be stoned to death, and so they were stoned. Ibn `Umar added: So both of them were stoned at the Balat and I saw the Jew sheltering the Jewess.

It's seems very Pauline to me. Live by the law, die by the law.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 07:57:49 PM »

]
Narrated Ibn `Umar:

"For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God."

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 08:18:06 PM »

]
Narrated Ibn `Umar:

This comment seems very Meccan to me.

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 08:33:41 PM »

Anything with "Christianity" and "Islam" in it means one thing

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Incognito777
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 12:52:48 AM »

The Islamic conception of God is not of the highest conceivable being, as he is in Christianity. Islam also denies the death and resurrection of Christ. There are several debates on Youtube featuring people like William Lane Craig (my favorite Evangelical Apologist) debating Muslims. See also the debates with James White.

The Islamic view that Jesus never died on the cross, goes against the consensus of all of modern scholarship. Jesus' death on the cross is considered an historical fact by about 100 percent of New Testament scholars, whether they are conservative or liberal. Islam takes a non-historical approach, which is ludicrous. Also, the Journal of American Medical Society did a study and confirmed in 1985 that Jesus did in fact die by crucifixion. For more on this, read, "The Case For the Resurrection of Jesus," by Habermas and Licona.
andrewlya
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 03:40:28 AM »

Non-Muslim men are not allowed to be with Muslim women in Islam. Very few exceptions. One such exception is the adoption of Islam on the part of the men.

Here's one tradition I like to share.

Narrated Ibn `Umar:

Quote from: St. John 7:53-8:11
53 Then they all went home, 8 1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.

2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11 “No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”
Yes, men are allowed to marry non Muslim women...Men get preferential rights unlike their the women..

andrewlya
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 06:16:49 AM »

The Islamic conception of God is not of the highest conceivable being, as he is in Christianity. Islam also denies the death and resurrection of Christ. There are several debates on Youtube featuring people like William Lane Craig (my favorite Evangelical Apologist) debating Muslims. See also the debates with James White.

The Islamic view that Jesus never died on the cross, goes against the consensus of all of modern scholarship. Jesus' death on the cross is considered an historical fact by about 100 percent of New Testament scholars, whether they are conservative or liberal. Islam takes a non-historical approach, which is ludicrous. Also, the Journal of American Medical Society did a study and confirmed in 1985 that Jesus did in fact die by crucifixion. For more on this, read, "The Case For the Resurrection of Jesus," by Habermas and Licona.
Thats a very good post! Apart from historical facts that confirm Jesus's suffering for us ,Quran contradicts the prophesy of the Messaih which in Psalms 22.1. Also, I don't believe that apostates are ordered to be killed like according Islamic law as then there is no chance of that person to revert back...Islam is more of an ideology than a religion which is controlled with an iron fist.

Incognito777
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 01:20:19 PM »

Actually, I mean, the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), not the Journal of the American Medical Society.
Cackles
Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 01:20:19 PM »

]
Narrated Ibn `Umar:

If you think the Arabs do crazy things now, just imagine before Islam. Thats something to keep in mind.

The Torah has verses to actually stone your son to death in the courtyard infront of all your neighbours if he disobeys his parents or something along those lines.

The Rabbi's have the authority to make up stories and add fabrications to scriptures. It was nothing unusual for the time, and it was also common to have stories cooked up to scare kids and young couples. The Rabbi's acknowledge this universally about these stories.

Stoning was likely a 'harsh' punishment, but it would hard to have it be fatal from pebbles on the ground. To kill somone you would likely hang them to death which was done through most of history, even in the US till recently.

The message of Jesus was a good one - dont pass judgement. If God allowed the Muslims to happen, there must be a reason. It could be, that the middle east would be too peaceful and great if it was all Christians. So God gave us muslims hehehe..

Its POSSIBLE that Mohammed was sent as a profit to get Muslims established for many reasons. But before the Messiah comes, all of humanity must be aware of who he is. We're at a point of the world where they all know the story. Many just within the last 10 years due to the Internet.

He sent Jesus as his son wich eventually started off Islam. Everyone believing in God the creator. The rest dont. God knew how to speak to these people and keep them in line. After all, they were from the line of Ishmael. Go see what the Torah has to say about them you wont believe it they were able to predict this 2000 years before Islam was created.

God wants laypeople to have families and believe in him as the one God the creator above all else. He wants us to excersize free will.

The facts are, Orthodox Christians, Muslims, amd Jews are all in the same boat as far as theology. We're closely related. Its possible God used Mohammed as a profit. They are more monotheist than us and have a WAY LESS dovorce rate over all. Muslims have marriage regardless of looks. They really are closer to God to a large extent.

My beef is I dont like being called polythesit and excluded from the Jewish/Islam circle. The two of them think their both closer to one another because of circumscision, pork, and God. But theres a hate on both sides for one another that neither have for Christians. They think our 'born sinner' theology is blasphomous as well as our Holy Trinity Kabahlla style concept of God which doesnt sit well with me an millions of others pushing for reform.

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
Cackles
Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 01:20:19 PM »

wOW.

This is some thread. Cackles, keep up the fine work.

You mentioned Pauline.. We're a product of that... But...

Well did you ever wonder where the earliest middle eastern Christians went as they fled persacution?

WOW!!!! I dont want to get into heresys or have people get mad at me heheh!!

As I said, when you know the whole story and possibilities, Gods hand must have been at work so now I no longer curse-out Islam and have reserved Judgment on possibilities that I could be cursing Gods will.

Just like how many.. I'd wager MOST Jews secretly hold a 'beleif' that he could have been the Messiah. They'd be silly not to. I too now hold a belief that yes its possible that this Mohommad could have been used by God to setup that empire and keep the germanics and asians out of his oil blessed lands. They also supposedly needed social reform badly.

Only God knows. He had his reasons. And FWIW, theres way more murders in a big city in North/South America than there is in these Muslim countires. Over here you see a movie shots can break out. You honk at the wrong person you can get shot.

andrewlya
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 10:14:28 AM »

]
Narrated Ibn `Umar:

If you think the Arabs do crazy things now, just imagine before Islam. Thats something to keep in mind.

The Torah has verses to actually stone your son to death in the courtyard infront of all your neighbours if he disobeys his parents or something along those lines.

The Rabbi's have the authority to make up stories and add fabrications to scriptures. It was nothing unusual for the time, and it was also common to have stories cooked up to scare kids and young couples. The Rabbi's acknowledge this universally about these stories.

Stoning was likely a 'harsh' punishment, but it would hard to have it be fatal from pebbles on the ground. To kill somone you would likely hang them to death which was done through most of history, even in the US till recently.

The message of Jesus was a good one - dont pass judgement. If God allowed the Muslims to happen, there must be a reason. It could be, that the middle east would be too peaceful and great if it was all Christians. So God gave us muslims hehehe..

Its POSSIBLE that Mohammed was sent as a profit to get Muslims established for many reasons. But before the Messiah comes, all of humanity must be aware of who he is. We're at a point of the world where they all know the story. Many just within the last 10 years due to the Internet.

He sent Jesus as his son wich eventually started off Islam. Everyone believing in God the creator. The rest dont. God knew how to speak to these people and keep them in line. After all, they were from the line of Ishmael. Go see what the Torah has to say about them you wont believe it they were able to predict this 2000 years before Islam was created.

God wants laypeople to have families and believe in him as the one God the creator above all else. He wants us to excersize free will.

The facts are, Orthodox Christians, Muslims, amd Jews are all in the same boat as far as theology. We're closely related. Its possible God used Mohammed as a profit. They are more monotheist than us and have a WAY LESS dovorce rate over all. Muslims have marriage regardless of looks. They really are closer to God to a large extent.

My beef is I dont like being called polythesit and excluded from the Jewish/Islam circle. The two of them think their both closer to one another because of circumscision, pork, and God. But theres a hate on both sides for one another that neither have for Christians. They think our 'born sinner' theology is blasphomous as well as our Holy Trinity Kabahlla style concept of God which doesnt sit well with me an millions of others pushing for reform.
What reform? What I don't like about Islam is that this is the most Christian prosecuting religious group in the world (http://m.christianpost.com/news/report-9-out-of-10-top-christian-persecution-countries-due-to-islamic-extremism--112255/) they kidnap and kill Christian priests, kill Christian civilians and even Christian nuns have been kidnapped in Syria! You will say that they are radicals, I say some of them follow the verse literarily I.e. To fight Christians and that Jesus will destroy the Cross etc That's in their Scripture, that's why I don't believe they are G-d sent religion because G-d would not have revealed such a verse as He knows it will create conflicts between so called People of the Book. I don't believe the fact that G-d chose Jews as His people, then changed His mind and ordered Muslims to fight and kill them...There were not supposed to be any more Prophets after the Messaih, apart from the false prophets as according to Jesus.Statisticaly,Christians are the most persecutied religion in the world because we are meant to love our enemy and Muslims are meant to fight and kill the enemies of Islam.On the face of it at 1st Islam may make sense I.e.the way they interpret the Trinity, but the rest is Just a volatile and, in some places,is even immoral. One thing to say there are peace loving Muslims, which most are, another is to say that Islam is a religion of peace, which is clearly not after studying the Quran and some Hadiths.It doesn't exactly promote peace in the world does it?You recognise a tree by its fruits and the fruits are what we see nowadays. Just in my city Volgograd/Stalingrad there were 3 suicide bombings by Muslim terrorists, in a such a civilised city those atrocities are more than shocking.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:41:12 AM by andrewlya » Logged

RehamG
Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 10:30:05 AM »

I met my fiance while still Muslim and living in Egypt, and became engaged to him while I was Muslim as well. It happens. Thankfully I am no longer a follower of Islam now.

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
andrewlya
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 11:02:16 AM »

I met my fiance while still Muslim and living in Egypt, and became engaged to him while I was Muslim as well. It happens. Thankfully I am no longer a follower of Islam now.

I really admire people like you! Please, share why you left Islam and joined Orthodoxy, I'd love to know:) G-d bless you!

RehamG
Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 11:18:17 AM »

I really admire people like you! Please, share why you left Islam and joined Orthodoxy, I'd love to know:) G-d bless you!

I posted my little spill about that a while back. I'll look through my old posts in a bit and give a link versus re-typing the whole thing. Smiley

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
andrewlya
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 11:56:19 AM »

I posted my little spill about that a while back. I'll look through my old posts in a bit and give a link versus re-typing the whole thing. Smiley
Thats great! Thanks a lot, I love reading stories like yours!:)

Cackles
Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 06:31:05 PM »

Praise God. A marriage and a conversion. so many women now cant find men at all. They arent getting married and learning to love themselves. God wants to see you both become one. You arent complete umless you are married and especially have kids. Be a wife and him be a husband in your roles and God will look after you through turbulent times.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 01:34:57 PM »

]
Narrated Ibn `Umar:

"Pebbles"?!?  Stoning someone wasn't/isn't done with pebbles.  It still happens on this planet and the victim (often a woman) is  killed by having rocks/bricks/large pieces of stone thrown at her.  Yes, this is a harsh and cruel capital punishment.  It is meant to end a life. 
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/special-report-the-punishment-was-death-by-stoning-the-crime-having-a-mobile-phone-8846585.html

Go see what the Torah has to say about them you wont believe it they were able to predict this 2000 years before Islam was created.

Would you please tell us which part of the Old Testament you think "predicts" Islam?  Thank you.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 01:40:37 PM »

I'd wager MOST Jews secretly hold a 'beleif' that he could have been the Messiah. They'd be silly not to.

On what basis would you make that wager?  Do you know any Jewish people personally and have asked them?
Why would they have been "silly" to not believe that Jesus could have been the Messiah?

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 01:45:26 PM »

Yes, her family was very liberal even though they are Sunni, the strictest branch.

There is nothing especially strict about Sunnis versus other parts of Islam. But then there are about a zillion other factual errors and absurdities in this thread, so why bother?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 01:55:59 PM »

I'd wager MOST Jews secretly hold a 'beleif' that he could have been the Messiah. They'd be silly not to.

On what basis would you make that wager?  Do you know any Jewish people personally and have asked them?
Why would they have been "silly" to not believe that Jesus could have been the Messiah?

Yeah well, 'Jews' mean anything from Atheist to Hasidic hard-heads.

andrewlya
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 05:15:54 PM »

]
Narrated Ibn `Umar:

"Pebbles"?!?  Stoning someone wasn't/isn't done with pebbles.  It still happens on this planet and the victim (often a woman) is  killed by having rocks/bricks/large pieces of stone thrown at her.  Yes, this is a harsh and cruel capital punishment.  It is meant to end a life. 
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/special-report-the-punishment-was-death-by-stoning-the-crime-having-a-mobile-phone-8846585.html

Go see what the Torah has to say about them you wont believe it they were able to predict this 2000 years before Islam was created.

Would you please tell us which part of the Old Testament you think "predicts" Islam?  Thank you.

Muslims contradict themselves when they say Islam overrides all previous religions and scriptures because they are distorted and corrupted but then use Torah and Injeel verses to show proof of the coming of Islam...

andrewlya
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 05:19:31 PM »

Yes, her family was very liberal even though they are Sunni, the strictest branch.

There is nothing especially strict about Sunnis versus other parts of Islam. But then there are about a zillion other factual errors and absurdities in this thread, so why bother?
What factual errors?

Revelation_1:7

Faith: Christ

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 09:41:47 AM »

My brothers and sisters, i want that you put attention on this.
We all know that moslems use a massive amount of forgeries and i want to show one of these forgeries that i recently came across.

One moslem i debated with quoted me "Gospel of the Nazorenes, Lection 33, verses 1-2" negating the atonement of Christ and blaming Saint Paul of having corrupted the teachings of Jesus Christ.  He took these bogus infos from imam Abdullah Smith and his article on answering-christianity.com called "the Anti-Christ Paul" (May God forgive them for what they are saying against Saint Paul). 

On internet there are many islamic forums quoting this.
Abdullah Smith says he was a christian who converted to Islam.
In other sources i read that he was a "nominal christian".

Making some research i found that this quotation of the "Gospel of the Nazorenes" is in reality a quote from the "Gospel of the Holy Twelve".  The author of it is the former reverend Gideon Jasper Richard Ouseley (1834–1906).
Ouseley said that he found this essene gospel, written in aramaic, in a buddhist temple in Tibet, preserved from corruption by buddhist monks.
Also this book promotes vegetarianism, as another well known hoax, Szekely's "Essene Gospel of Peace".

Scholar Richard Alan Young, a Professor of New Testament Studies said :

"It appears that Ouseley CREATED The Gospel of the Holy Twelve in support of animal welfare and vegetarianism."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gospel_of_the_Holy_Twelve
www.thenazareneway.com/ght_table_of_contents.htm

So, beware of these mohammedan liars. They are wolves in sheep clothes.

May you all be "wise as serpents and harmless as doves"  Wink

"Whosoever, therefore, declares that there is but one God, only so as to take away the divinity of Christ, is a devil, and an enemy of all righteousness"

St. Ignatius - Epistle to the Antiochians
Nektarios_In_E.S.

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church Diocese of Buenos Aires, Central and South America

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:52 AM »

What reform? What I don't like about Islam is that this is the most Christian prosecuting religious group in the world (http://m.christianpost.com/news/report-9-out-of-10-top-christian-persecution-countries-due-to-islamic-extremism--112255/) they kidnap and kill Christian priests, kill Christian civilians and even Christian nuns have been kidnapped in Syria! You will say that they are radicals, I say some of them follow the verse literarily I.e. To fight Christians and that Jesus will destroy the Cross etc That's in their Scripture, that's why I don't believe they are G-d sent religion because G-d would not have revealed such a verse as He knows it will create conflicts between so called People of the Book. I don't believe the fact that G-d chose Jews as His people, then changed His mind and ordered Muslims to fight and kill them...There were not supposed to be any more Prophets after the Messaih, apart from the false prophets as according to Jesus.Statisticaly,Christians are the most persecutied religion in the world because we are meant to love our enemy and Muslims are meant to fight and kill the enemies of Islam.On the face of it at 1st Islam may make sense I.e.the way they interpret the Trinity, but the rest is Just a volatile and, in some places,is even immoral. One thing to say there are peace loving Muslims, which most are, another is to say that Islam is a religion of peace, which is clearly not after studying the Quran and some Hadiths.It doesn't exactly promote peace in the world does it?You recognise a tree by its fruits and the fruits are what we see nowadays. Just in my city Volgograd/Stalingrad there were 3 suicide bombings by Muslim terrorists, in a such a civilised city those atrocities are more than shocking.

You are correct on everything you say here.  I remember once I asked a muslim woman if she could sum-up islam in one word, what would it be(?) and she said: "peace."  I almost vomited as I could not believe how cynical such a statement was. 

I bought a copy of the koran a while back and finally began to read it.  From the get-go, it speaks about hatred and punishing those that don't believe.  If I could could sum-up islam more properly in just a few words, I would say: "hate, violence, totalitarianism and war-friendly."

One point I would like to correct.  Muslims/Arabs are also semitic.  It really bothers me how nowadays the phrase "anti-semitic" is wrongly used exclusively for jews.  The Fact is that: Semites are people who speak arabic, hebrew and Aramaic/Syriac.  The word is not exclusively owned by jews.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 11:59:11 AM »

You are correct on everything you say here.  I remember once I asked a muslim woman if she could sum-up islam in one word, what would it be(?) and she said: "peace."  I almost vomited as I could not believe how cynical such a statement was. 

I bought a copy of the koran a while back and finally began to read it.  From the get-go, it speaks about hatred and punishing those that don't believe.  If I could could sum-up islam more properly in just a few words, I would say: "hate, violence, totalitarianism and war-friendly."

One point I would like to correct.  Muslims/Arabs are also semitic.  It really bothers me how nowadays the phrase "anti-semitic" is wrongly used exclusively for jews.  The Fact is that: Semites are people who speak arabic, hebrew and Aramaic/Syriac.  The word is not exclusively owned by jews.

True, but another thing I'd like to correct from your post is that most Muslims are not Arabs, and not Semitic. Most Muslims live in South and Southeast Asia.

Most Arabs are Muslims, most Muslims are not Arab though.

andrewlya
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 04:53:06 PM »

You are correct on everything you say here.  I remember once I asked a muslim woman if she could sum-up islam in one word, what would it be(?) and she said: "peace."  I almost vomited as I could not believe how cynical such a statement was.  

I bought a copy of the koran a while back and finally began to read it.  From the get-go, it speaks about hatred and punishing those that don't believe.  If I could could sum-up islam more properly in just a few words, I would say: "hate, violence, totalitarianism and war-friendly."

One point I would like to correct.  Muslims/Arabs are also semitic.  It really bothers me how nowadays the phrase "anti-semitic" is wrongly used exclusively for jews.  The Fact is that: Semites are people who speak arabic, hebrew and Aramaic/Syriac.  The word is not exclusively owned by jews.
Correct me if Im wrong but prophet Muhammad was a warrior. Initially, he preached Islam peacefully to Meccan pagans,Christians and Jews and when they did not convert all he used force to conquer Mecca and Medina. Muslims used to pray in the direction of Jerusalem, but when Jews did not convert, Muhammad changed the prayer direction towards the Kaaba, the most Holy place of then- pagans.Muhammad also expanded his wealth by raiding caravans and also ordered to kill a few people because they offended him in some way or another as according to the Hadiths. I mean is it really a God's messenger who raided caravans and preached Jihad towards non Muslims? There is so much hatred towards the kuffar in Qur'an, again correct me if im wrong, People of the Book i.e. Christians and Jews in Islam, are also kuffar...

Ive always believed that God is love, and you do come across a lot of love in the Bible, but when I read the Qur'an I didnt feel any love at all...it's based mainly on fear, no asking questions, and also if God has really given us a free will to sin or not to sin then why does Islamic Law say that apostates should be killed? Should not they then be Judged in the after life for changing their religion?Who are men to judge? Also, I also wondered why Qur'an is so repetitive? I mean you can come across the same stories and the same verses so many times in the book over and over again...I think if the same stories had not been repeated themselves, the book would have been a lot smaller,too.

Anjem Choudary (The UK's leader of Sharia for UK campaign) said himself that Islam is not a religion of peace...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eoHMicqnz8
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:01:50 PM by andrewlya » Logged

Cackles
Elder

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 12:53:49 AM »

Well.........

It should be known that placing faith in most of the writings of the NT are not a determing factor of being a Christian of getting into heaven. Forma long tome know schollars have known there are many inserted stories that prove likely not to have happened (and most are in John unfortunetly as that Gospel has been an age old problem child for church amd theologans alike).

Whether Jesus died on the cross at that time specifically, or later on is splitting haris and isnt important to the schollar or someone that knows faith very well. But these evangelicals of late have made the whole NT infallible and it was NEVER supposed to be like that. The names of the boos are called 'the gospels ACCORDING to ___'. Now if you try to derive a meaning from a story and you arent absolute literal, people get all emotional and angry. This is a sign people are holding on to idols. Why? Infallibility LEADS TO Idoltary.

So since I know I cant even discuss a topic which has nothing to do in the greater scheme of things, I can say, that for Christianity to have spread the way it did, he must have risen and seen his appostles. They must have been freaked out. We're living proof that Jesus rose from the dead.

Now the question of whether he really didnt die doesn't change anything exept put a lot of egg on our face and change around our view of the story. Does this make Jesus a sinner because he lied? No ot doesnt. The Torrah says nothing about lying. Its only if you lie to sin. If someone asks you for money, you are allowed to lie and say 'oh i dont have any money right now'.

Anyhow I wont finish because people get emotional over this and i could go on and on but it doesnt make him a sinner, doesnt change the fact he was the Messiah, a prophet like Abraham, Moses, and a sinnless 'son' of God. The reserection was required for 2.5 billion people later to become Christians. We know that must have happened. But was he really dead and his body vanished and reapeared, well thats a small technicality. But it does lead people to say he was God himself, which opens up a whole HUGE can of worms which we're still dealing with.

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2014, 01:05:43 PM »

Correct me if Im wrong but prophet Muhammad was a warrior. Initially, he preached Islam peacefully to Meccan pagans,Christians and Jews and when they did not convert all he used force to conquer Mecca and Medina. Muslims used to pray in the direction of Jerusalem, but when Jews did not convert, Muhammad changed the prayer direction towards the Kaaba, the most Holy place of then- pagans.Muhammad also expanded his wealth by raiding caravans and also ordered to kill a few people because they offended him in some way or another as according to the Hadiths. I mean is it really a God's messenger who raided caravans and preached Jihad towards non Muslims? There is so much hatred towards the kuffar in Qur'an, again correct me if im wrong, People of the Book i.e. Christians and Jews in Islam, are also kuffar...

Sounds about right...   Mohammed is the sole author of the Koran claiming he was given this revelation by one of Allah's Angels...    OTOH, the Bible is a compilation of numerous authors who for the most part agree on their written accounts of Christ's life. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:08:16 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2014, 01:34:04 PM »

He probably is referring to Genesis 21:17-18:

God heard the boy crying, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, “What is the matter, Hagar? Do not be afraid; God has heard the boy crying as he lies there. Lift the boy up and take him by the hand, for I will make him into a great nation.”

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
andrewlya
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2014, 01:50:16 PM »

So to what does this verse refer to, then?

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2014, 01:52:11 PM »

God heard the boy crying, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, “What is the matter, Hagar? Do not be afraid; God has heard the boy crying as he lies there. Lift the boy up and take him by the hand, for I will make him into a great nation.”

The problem with that, is that the idea that Arabs are Ishmaelites (from my understanding anyway) originated with al-Tabari in the 9th century. Al-Tabari based his genealogy on a completely fabricated and baseless chain of events. The historicity of whether the Arabs are related to the Hagarites/Ishmaelites is very weak.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:53:17 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

andrewlya
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2014, 01:58:33 PM »

Biblically, which nation is this verse referred to?

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2014, 02:08:21 PM »

Would you please tell us which part of the Old Testament you think "predicts" Islam?  Thank you.

The historicity of whether the Arabs are related to the Hagarites/Ishmaelites is very weak.
Undoubtedly, but Ishmael's 12 sons are associated with northern Arabian regions, like Havilah (Gen. 25:9-8).

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:08:56 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »

Genesis 25:13-18:

"This is the account of the family line of Abraham’s son Ishmael, whom Sarah’s slave, Hagar the Egyptian, bore to Abraham. These are the names of the sons of Ishmael, listed in the order of their birth: Nebaioth the firstborn of Ishmael, Kedar, Adbeel, Mibsam, Mishma, Dumah, Massa, Hadad, Tema, Jetur, Naphish and Kedemah. These were the sons of Ishmael, and these are the names of the twelve tribal rulers according to their settlements and camps. Ishmael lived a hundred and thirty-seven years. He breathed his last and died, and he was gathered to his people. His descendants settled in the area from Havilah to Shur, near the eastern border of Egypt, as you go toward Ashur. And they lived in hostility toward all the tribes related to them."

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
andrewlya
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »

"This is the account of the family line of Abraham’s son Ishmael, whom Sarah’s slave, Hagar the Egyptian, bore to Abraham. These are the names of the sons of Ishmael, listed in the order of their birth: Nebaioth the firstborn of Ishmael, Kedar, Adbeel, Mibsam, Mishma, Dumah, Massa, Hadad, Tema, Jetur, Naphish and Kedemah. These were the sons of Ishmael, and these are the names of the twelve tribal rulers according to their settlements and camps. Ishmael lived a hundred and thirty-seven years. He breathed his last and died, and he was gathered to his people. His descendants settled in the area from Havilah to Shur, near the eastern border of Egypt, as you go toward Ashur. And they lived in hostility toward all the tribes related to them."
so what religion were they then, Jews?And what are they now, Muslims right?

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »

Would you please tell us which part of the Old Testament you think "predicts" Islam?  Thank you.

They weren't ethnically Jews, because they weren't sons of Jacob/Israel. They were ethnically "Abrahamites". Religiously, at the time, they may have worshipped the same deity Abraham worshipped. Today, their descendants are probably mostly Muslim.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:39:38 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
andrewlya
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2014, 03:37:23 PM »

They weren't ethnically Jews, because they weren't sons of Jacob/Israel. They were ethnically "Abrahamites". Religiously, at the time, they may have worshipped the same deity Abraham worshipped. Today, their descendants are probably mostly Muslim.
So, they could have been so called Hanifs then...Also, if what you are saying is true then Muslims have really been prophesied as a "great nation" in the Old Testament?

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2014, 03:53:42 PM »

So, they could have been so called Hanifs then...Also, if what you are saying is true then Muslims have really been prophesied as a "great nation" in the Old Testament?
True, they could be called Hanifs. I think it is a distinct possibility that the Islamic phenomenon was prophesied in the Old Testament.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
andrewlya
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2014, 04:06:32 PM »

True, they could be called Hanifs. I think it is a distinct possibility that the Islamic phenomenon was prophesied in the Old Testament.
Wow, so there is a good possibility our Creator has really intended to create three biggest religions who had got three different views on Abrahamic religion?
But that would mean that the Prophet Muhammad was actually God's sent messenger??
If that's the case, then it may sound unfair then to give the order to Muslims to fight their brothers i.e. Jews and Christians...this sounds too complicated.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 04:28:44 PM by andrewlya » Logged

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »

Wow, so there is a good possibility our Creator has really intended to create three biggest religions who had got three different views on Abraham religions?
But that would mean that the Prophet Muhammad was actually God's sent messenger??
If that's the case, then it may sounds unfair then to give the order to Muslims to fight their brothers i.e. Jews and Christians...this sounds too complicated.
I would distinguish these two ideas, as not being identical: (1) the Islamic phenomenon being prophesied in the OT; and (2) God inspiring the prophet Muhammad. The first could be true, without the second being true.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: