OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 02:46:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was the Western Rite done on Mt. Athos?  (Read 639 times) Average Rating: 0
Joseph Hazen

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« on: January 26, 2014, 02:09:40 AM »

I've heard repeatedly that there was a Western monastery on Mt. Athos for much longer than any other Orthodox land. I was curious - do we not have the texts from the monastery describing the liturgy and other mysteries? If so, did these in any way influence the current Western Rite practices?
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 08:05:12 AM »

Are you referring to Morphonou Monastery?  I saw it listed as a "western monastery" on a map but don't know anything about it.  Good question.
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:13:52 AM »

So I did a google books search and found references to this monastery in Mount Athos: Renewal in Paradise by Graham Speake on page 58.

It was established by Benedictine monks from Amalfi in 985 and endured into 1287.  It even survived the Great Schism.  

My assumption is that because the monastery was founded by Benedictines from Italy that it followed rites and rules of that house.  Of course, I'm no expert.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:16:16 AM by Hinterlander » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 08:24:38 AM »

Fr. Aidan has wrote sort of history of that monastery. I haven't read it myself though but anyway, here you are:

http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/Liturgy/Amalfion%20Oct%202002.pdf
Joseph Hazen

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 02:58:20 PM »

Thank you both! I hadn't considered it being Benedictine and so probably following the Benedictine use, and the history was very interesting.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: