OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 11:00:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The hate of the New Atheists  (Read 1441 times) Average Rating: 0
Jonathan Gress
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2014, 06:44:32 PM »

Well the difference is that Christians acknowledge from the start that their dogmas ultimately rest on authority and tradition, which is manifestly not how atheists think of the sources of truth. These "brights" believe they are freethinkers and that they base their truth-claims on reasons and evidence, not authority and tradition. However, I'm sure orthonorm can provide you with the full post-modern, deconstructionist critique of reasons and evidence as guarantors of truth.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2014, 06:49:08 PM »

Cyriĺic: probably, but there are different degrees.

The New Atheists are convinced to be right and that they ought to ridicule everyone disagreeing.

It is fair to call them hateful extremists and anyone having interacted with them knows I am not exaggerating.

If you think the milktoast crowd that are vocal atheists are hateful extremists, you have not yet known hate nor extremity.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2014, 07:04:57 PM »

Cyriĺic: probably, but there are different degrees.

The New Atheists are convinced to be right and that they ought to ridicule everyone disagreeing.

It is fair to call them hateful extremists and anyone having interacted with them knows I am not exaggerating.

If you think the milktoast crowd that are vocal atheists are hateful extremists, you have not yet known hate nor extremity.
Ain't he in Luxembourg for geez' sake.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 07:05:32 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Raylight
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian.

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2014, 02:28:02 AM »

OK, call me an idiot and keep me that way if you feel kind, but do people actually call themselves "new atheists"?

You got to be kidding.

Some of them call themselves Brights.

They are the intellectuals, the free thinkers, the smarter, the defenders of human rights, and are they are the brights!! What is next ?

Don't all adherents of any form of (ir)religion/ideology/whatever believe themselves to be just that?

I don't. I don't think that I'm smarter/ much better / more intellectual than any other person, I don't even think I'm more moral than other religious people. I think I'm like anyone else, a sinner, who have a battle everyday, to be the best version of myself, and to keep myself away from evil, however, there are day when I fail, and ask God for mercy and wisdom.

Good bye OC.net. I will not post in this forum anymore. I'm thankful to several members here who helped me so much and stood by me. God Bless You All Smiley
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2014, 06:37:52 PM »

...Dawkins' understanding of Aquinas' Five Ways is entirely deficient.

Doesn't make any difference either way. Each of these arguments are arguments from ignorance and do nothing to say whether or not Christianity is true. The message of Christianity, contrary to what these lousy apologists claim, is NOT "God created the world," rather, it's "God became man and shattered death."

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2014, 07:33:29 PM »

...Dawkins' understanding of Aquinas' Five Ways is entirely deficient.

Doesn't make any difference either way. Each of these arguments are arguments from ignorance and do nothing to say whether or not Christianity is true. The message of Christianity, contrary to what these lousy apologists claim, is NOT "God created the world," rather, it's "God became man and shattered death."

Did I ever claim that proofs for the existence of God would make people into Christians?
Even St. Thomas Aquinas believes that revelation is necessary to make Christians.
My only point is that whether or not one believes that the Five Ways are demonstrative, one should actually know what these proofs are arguing prior to critiquing them.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Cackles
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (Canada)

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2014, 12:25:09 AM »

The New Atheists (also called anti-theists or militant atheists) are a particular group of atheists who advocate the use of emotional bullying, mockery and ridicule towards every religious believer.

I think we have strong grounds for concluding they are a hate group with a far right ideology.

We also have good evidence that they are people who have had a very bad (often traumatic) experience with religious fundamentalists.

Did you yourself had interactions with them?

If so, do you have advice to share about the best way to handle these bigots?

Friendly greetings from Europe.

The Athiests have been around this whole time and are plentiful on this forum, and even in chuch. They were referred to in the bible as the Amalek. Thesre are people who believe everything is a coincidence and believe there is no God (an easy indicator is beleif in evolutuon as that throws out the bible and believes in the reasoning of coincidence). They are essentially communists/fascists which are actually of the extreme left not right. Right is free will, left is censorship and policing.

The Amalek are anti free will and as the bible says, enemy of the Jews. They are the eternal enemy of the Jews who will attack every genereation (as God says). For instance trying to get circumscision outlawed a couple years back are the Amalek.

The Amalek today are the Athiests which are essentially rebranded Secular Humanists who believe we are all out of control animals that need the blesseing of their authoritarianism. When religion gets in the way, their aim is to squash them out.

The Athiests can be compared to the SS Army in the Nazi's.

And yes the Rabbi's have identified them geographically where they stem from tribe wise and where they settled and I agree with those countires 100%. And no they arent the arabs. But I wont memtion those source countires because people will likely get angry at me.

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
Cackles
Elder

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2014, 12:25:09 AM »

Papist: I entirely agree.

As I pointed it out in posts (linked above), the New Atheists are a shame and an embarrassment for atheism which has a respectable intellectual tradition.

No they don't. All intillectualist formulas of life are age old as the bible and dominate the worlds population. It's Idolatry no what you call it, no matter the system.

The majority of the earth is idolatrous. They believe in polytheism, inner self, or human logic in place of God. This goes for the majority on earth. Likely a large portion in the church. The bible points this out many times. There will always be a secular idolatrist society. The believers are few amongst many.

There is nothing to be gained from the teachings of athiests and other idolatrers... I spent most of my adult life hanging around them and I still have to fight the urge of self idolatry and continually re-submit to God and admit he only knows.

Actually the bible teaches early on in Genesis that one of Adams grandkids walked closely with God and just vanished. God took him away. Schollars say its because the world was already very corrupt. The early Genesis books were extremely sparse in their writting and need extra fill ins to get the whole picture. The men were grabbing any women they wanted. The more inbreeding leads to genetic mutations that carry on as life comtinually gets shorter.

Tribes seperate, certain features become desireable, and people mate in order to pass along those features which identify them. This can happen VERY quickly. Even those fundemental mormons now have their own traits. This creates a diversity in humans. Prince Charles and the royal family inbred quite a bit and ended up with long jaws, strange noses, tall figures, etc. The scottish have a 40% chance of recessive red hair gene that was desireable in their tribe. Also sun and climate play a huge role. The recently found lost tribes of Isreal in Afirca and they DNA tested the tribe back to the unique Kohanine DNA sequence. In our lives, you will be able to DNA test yourself and see if you are the son of Shem. Its coming day by day. And no Judaism has NOTHING to do with race and tribes. Its about God and his laws. Thats it. Tribal racial issues has been taken way out of context by certain people/groups.

So when man falls we mean this in every sense of the word. The we continually live shorter, we can not obey Gods laws, and we are prone to Idolatry most of all. The wish to be in control and be our own Gods. Why? Becayse we're made in his image and its what we're mandated to do! Orthodoxy promotes free will like Judaism. These are two pease of the same pod. It is also the truth.

Be proud to be Orthodox. Be a light onto the nations and maybe they will see the truth and want to convert.

(Btw the Torah or even Mishna says NOTHING about making Judaism difficult to enter. They are supposed to explain what its about, tell you amcouple of commandments, and then convert you on the spot and set up a date for your circumcision. This Judaism 'exclusivity' thing is recent. Actually, God favors converts more than his own people so converts should never feel unwelcome or we should never imply that we're exclusive or we turn sheeps away over to the wolves.. The Idoltarers.. God does not want this from us).

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
Cackles
Elder

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2014, 12:25:09 AM »

"God became man and shattered death."

Hmmmm.. I wonder if theres exactly 2 people that agree the same thing on this issue. It seems to be a Christian only problem. It does make us look bad in the eyes of other religions.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2014, 11:30:47 PM »

The New Atheists (also called anti-theists or militant atheists) are a particular group of atheists who advocate the use of emotional bullying, mockery and ridicule towards every religious believer.

I think we have strong grounds for concluding they are a hate group with a far right ideology.

We also have good evidence that they are people who have had a very bad (often traumatic) experience with religious fundamentalists.

I believe they work for the anti-Christ mentality.

I have an uncle who is an atheist.  He simply doesn't believe in God and that's that.  But he leaves others alone and lets them believe as they believe - and respects them for their belief.

Then I come across ones who constantly attack Christianity, like some agenda.  It's a HATRED towards the faith.  One said "F_ _ _ Jesus" to me once, and I asked "What did Jesus do to you"?

He had a blank look.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2014, 11:51:46 PM »

I have an uncle who is an atheist.  He simply doesn't believe in God and that's that.  But he leaves others alone and lets them believe as they believe - and respects them for their belief.

This sentiment is common on threads here, and I always find it odd. It's one of the reasons I laughed at the thread title, which can be taken in two different ways--is it speaking of atheists who have hate, or Christians hating the atheists? It's hard to tell, even after reading the entire thread (of course I do not mean "hate" in the strong sense, though apparently some others use it in that way).  But back to the sentiment expressed in the quote. If an atheist thinks that belief in a God, or gods in general, is harming society, why would it be disrespectful to speak up? And why is it wrong for an atheist to discuss a philosophical viewpoint or position that will undoubtedly have a significant impact on their life? If your uncle thought "that's that" and didn't bother people then that's fine--but why do you try to force the same approach onto everyone? Your uncle shows himself to be a better man than you in that regard, and better than me as well.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2014, 12:30:08 AM »

This sentiment is common on threads here, and I always find it odd. It's one of the reasons I laughed at the thread title, which can be taken in two different ways--is it speaking of atheists who have hate, or Christians hating the atheists? It's hard to tell, even after reading the entire thread (of course I do not mean "hate" in the strong sense, though apparently some others use it in that way).  But back to the sentiment expressed in the quote. If an atheist thinks that belief in a God, or gods in general, is harming society, why would it be disrespectful to speak up? And why is it wrong for an atheist to discuss a philosophical viewpoint or position that will undoubtedly have a significant impact on their life? If your uncle thought "that's that" and didn't bother people then that's fine--but why do you try to force the same approach onto everyone? Your uncle shows himself to be a better man than you in that regard, and better than me as well.

Not forcing anybody, I hope that didn't convey.

When an atheists were to say F Jesus, they are insulting something that they believe you hold dear.  It is disrespectful completely.  Basically an Atheist doesn't have to burn a bible or cuss the Lord in order to open a dialog.  They do this to insult.

If they say it for the reasons you cited, such as having a bad impact on society and are open for dialog, then sure if you want to dialog with them, that's fine.   There are a lot of Christians willing to talk and converse with an atheist in a respectful environment.

For my uncle, he just doesn't believe and does not want to talk about it and is not disrespectful.  He merely is silent while others pray before meals at family gatherings etc.   I respect that and disagree with his decision and only pray that he finds his way to Christ.

I am seeing a lot of "hate" from Atheists today.  Many are still respectful, but many are also willing to call Mary a _____ to you face in utter disrespect.

Jonathan Gress
Archon

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2014, 08:44:22 AM »

They are abusive since they think it makes them brave and rebellious, but they can only get away with it since Christians are so nice. I've not yet heard of one atheist who went up to a Muslim and said "Muhammad is a pig". If I did hear of that, I would respect them a lot more.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2014, 11:33:05 AM »

They are abusive since they think it makes them brave and rebellious, but they can only get away with it since Christians are so nice. I've not yet heard of one atheist who went up to a Muslim and said "Muhammad is a pig". If I did hear of that, I would respect them a lot more.

I heard about one once.  His name was Turd McAtheiotard and he used to comment on I [Fornicating] Love Science on FB all the time.  One day he just disappeared.  Turns out, he went to a mosk and started making piggy noises.  They found his head in a dumpster around the corner.  No one's really sure what happened to his body.  I figure the mozzies fed it to their guard goats or something.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2014, 11:56:33 AM »

Turd McAtheiotard

Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Cackles
Elder

« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2014, 06:31:05 PM »

I have an uncle who is an atheist.  He simply doesn't believe in God and that's that.  But he leaves others alone and lets them believe as they believe - and respects them for their belief.

This sentiment is common on threads here, and I always find it odd. It's one of the reasons I laughed at the thread title, which can be taken in two different ways--is it speaking of atheists who have hate, or Christians hating the atheists? It's hard to tell, even after reading the entire thread (of course I do not mean "hate" in the strong sense, though apparently some others use it in that way).  But back to the sentiment expressed in the quote. If an atheist thinks that belief in a God, or gods in general, is harming society, why would it be disrespectful to speak up? And why is it wrong for an atheist to discuss a philosophical viewpoint or position that will undoubtedly have a significant impact on their life? If your uncle thought "that's that" and didn't bother people then that's fine--but why do you try to force the same approach onto everyone? Your uncle shows himself to be a better man than you in that regard, and better than me as well.

I'm amazed youd ask why it's an issue if they voice their opinion against God. It wouldnt be an issue if we dodnt have a public sector and public schools. Then they can say what they want.

My issue is these people are tied to the hip of the goverment and convert our kids away from their faith. Tax dollars fund their 'preachers' and organizations.

You get half of your money taken away to fund their social agendas based on a Secular Humanist religion. These Athiest mouthpeices are like cheerleaders for a society wothout morals. No marriage, rigths for all humanity, death panels, child limits, abolition of family, and of course, govt assigned jobs. We've down this road over and over. Mans logic takes away our free will and makes us into slaves. Only God can take you out of bondage. If you disobey him, you will be back into slavery garunteed.

God does not want humanism, he wants us scatted and split into different tribes with our own rules and customs. The statement of you deciding to give him 'equality' of rights is a statement of Secular Humanism.

Let them have their own country where tolerance and equality prevale, and Christians can have their own country where we go back to biblical laws and courts and finally begin to build and innovate again with free will.

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2014, 07:08:31 PM »

Apostacon 2014

September 19 - 21, Omaha, Nebraska

September 19th happens to coincide with “Talk Like a Pirate Day” again… obviously a positive sign from the Flying Spaghetti Monster Itself.
Apostacon 2014 Speakers

Avast me hearties!

Here be the latest list of speakers and entertainers currently scheduled for Apostacon 2014, featuring renowned cosmologist and theoretical physicist Dr. Lawrence M. Krauss as our distinguished keynote speaker.
Also featuring DR. Neil deGrasse Tyson
, "An Evening of Scientific Inquiry"

Shouldn't this be called "A-Pasta-Con"?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 07:08:49 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2014, 11:42:45 PM »

All the time.

Atheists believe in THEORIES not facts.  Theories like evolution and the big bang.

Also a large chunk of atheists  (2/3 approx) believe in the possibility of Aliens.
Also a pretty good chunk believes in ghosts.

They don't even believe where they come from.  Unless they can remember being attached to their momma with the umbilical cord and remembering her face - they are only believing that their mother is their own through faith (consider all the adults who learn on their parent's death bed that they are not their real child).

The radicals who insult, are doing so on a theory backed power trip with no definitives.  They have all the answers, and theories.   I'm still looking for the chimphumans..... chimps survived, humans are here, but where are all the "in betweens" on the ridiculous evolution theory?   I want to see some planet of the apes people!

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2014, 11:52:37 PM »

Where do you get this stuff?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2014, 09:11:37 AM »

I'm still looking for the chimphumans..... chimps survived, humans are here, but where are all the "in betweens" on the ridiculous evolution theory? 
There are no "in betweens" between chimps and humans, because humans did not evolve from chimps. Both humans and chimps evolved from a different species, an ape ancestor that is now extinct.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2014, 09:17:43 AM »

I'm still looking for the chimphumans..... chimps survived, humans are here, but where are all the "in betweens" on the ridiculous evolution theory? 
There are no "in betweens" between chimps and humans, because humans did not evolve from chimps. Both humans and chimps evolved from a different species, an ape ancestor that is now extinct.

Actual science!  Shocked

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2014, 09:55:26 AM »

All the time.

Atheists believe in THEORIES not facts.  Theories like evolution and the big bang.

Also a large chunk of atheists  (2/3 approx) believe in the possibility of Aliens.
Also a pretty good chunk believes in ghosts.

They don't even believe where they come from.  Unless they can remember being attached to their momma with the umbilical cord and remembering her face - they are only believing that their mother is their own through faith (consider all the adults who learn on their parent's death bed that they are not their real child).

The radicals who insult, are doing so on a theory backed power trip with no definitives.  They have all the answers, and theories.   I'm still looking for the chimphumans..... chimps survived, humans are here, but where are all the "in betweens" on the ridiculous evolution theory?   I want to see some planet of the apes people!
... as well as other far fetched theories like the heliocentric theory, plate tectonic theory, coal combustion theory, germ theory, etc. Shall I go on or can you see the silliness of denouncing "theories"?

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »

... as well as other far fetched theories like the heliocentric theory, plate tectonic theory, coal combustion theory, germ theory, etc. Shall I go on or can you see the silliness of denouncing "theories"?

.....you forgot 'conspiracy theory'!  Cheesy
Jonathan Gress
Archon

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2014, 11:17:22 AM »

However persuasive, a theory is ultimately just a construct of our reason. It does not have independent existence in the world outside our minds. It may well correspond in some fashion to what really exists in the world, but our reason is ultimately limited and imperfect and should not be treated as the infallible source of truth.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2014, 11:24:31 AM »

However persuasive, a theory is ultimately just a construct of our reason. It does not have independent existence in the world outside our minds. It may well correspond in some fashion to what really exists in the world, but our reason is ultimately limited and imperfect and should not be treated as the infallible source of truth.
I agree with this, and as with most things, theories can be demonstrated to be incorrect or incomplete. Classical mechanics theory was demonstrated to be incomplete with discoveries leading to quantum mechanics.  To throw the whole thing out and say it is false because it is just a theory, though, is to demonstrate gross ignorance about what it takes for something to become a theory.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2014, 11:32:11 AM »

In other words...

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:34:09 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: