Author Topic: Head coverings, modesty, and the weakness of me  (Read 68989 times)

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
Re: Head coverings, modesty, and the weakness of me
« Reply #990 on: June 05, 2014, 12:31:55 PM »
Shocker, you glance at women.   ::)

Exactly.  I'm made out to being a drooling dog, hypersexualizing, and a pervert.  

I recall one instance where a woman had buttons on her dress and a diamond pattern while I was in an EO church.  In the diamond pattern going most of the way down her back, was back flesh.  (LOL it's getting ridiculous).   While I was praying, I caught myself glancing.  Instantly I become a perverted freak on OC.net.

I don't want my eyes to wander.  It's my fault if they do.  I appreciate and hope women will see this and cover up.... I ask them to please take into consideration their weaker brothers.  
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #991 on: June 05, 2014, 12:32:09 PM »
I still want to know how much flesh you can possibly see through a buttonhole. A millimeter?

Does it matter?    He would  be tempted even if we were in burqas....That's why this whole argument is at the point of ridiculous.

We are now comparing 'sensible' regulations.....against what Yesh thinks is sensible given HIS weakness.

These are two very different things.

I've seen many times women wearing dresses (like sun dresses) to church and there was far more back flesh revealed than a millimeter.  I don't have photo to prove it, and the forum exploited what I said.  There are times where inches are exposed.

Yawn. You said flesh through a buttonhole, thus my incredulity that a millimeter of flesh could turn you on so much.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #992 on: June 05, 2014, 12:33:48 PM »

Exactly.  I'm made out to being a drooling dog, hypersexualizing, and a pervert.  

I recall one instance where a woman had buttons on her dress and a diamond pattern while I was in an EO church.  In the diamond pattern going most of the way down her back, was back flesh.  (LOL it's getting ridiculous).   While I was praying, I caught myself glancing.  Instantly I become a perverted freak on OC.net.

I don't want my eyes to wander.  It's my fault if they do.  I appreciate and hope women will see this and cover up.... I ask them to please take into consideration their weaker brothers.  

You do realize that glancing =/= sinning, correct?
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #993 on: June 05, 2014, 12:35:20 PM »

You dont want to do...

then you know what.....teach yourself not to.

don't go on and on for pages on how women should...or I would appreciate if they would....etc.

Do you go down public streets asking others to cover up.....?

if you dont, how -do- you survive it?   survive it that same way in church.

end of story.

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #994 on: June 05, 2014, 12:37:06 PM »
You do realise that the prohibitions against finery are there because those fabrics were sodding expensive and such money would be put to better use caring for people, don't you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumptuary_law

Aniline dyes made all the talk about byssus irrelevant back in the 1850s. Otherwise, Mennonites et.al. would wear exclusively unbleached wool.

That's NOT why the saint's put that there.  READ IT in complete context. What the saints said was clear.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #995 on: June 05, 2014, 12:38:54 PM »

You dont want to do...

don't go on and on for pages on how women should...or I would appreciate if they would....etc.

end of story.

Well the saints had a lot of pages on it, and I don't see you criticizing them.  Mostly what you are reading in the "pages" you speak of, is me defending the writings of Orthodox saints.  LOL

That's why this thread is too ironic.  Read their writings, they SPECIFICALLY tell women to cover up.  It's even in the bible!  Wow imagine that!

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #996 on: June 05, 2014, 12:40:16 PM »
Yesh, reserve your controlling to your wife and children and stop telling other women what to do.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #997 on: June 05, 2014, 12:40:57 PM »

You dont want to do...

end of story.

Well the saints had a lot of pages on it, and I don't see you criticizing them.  Mostly what you are reading in the "pages" you speak of, is me defending the writings of Orthodox saints.  LOL

That's why this thread is too ironic.  Read their writings, they SPECIFICALLY tell women to cover up.  It's even in the bible!  Wow imagine that!

What is your motivation for your long defense of the Saints?

-That's- what this thread is about....not about -them-
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #998 on: June 05, 2014, 12:41:12 PM »

To me this thread makes you come off as having an unhealthy obsession with the women around you.

Sums up the entire thread.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #999 on: June 05, 2014, 12:41:41 PM »

You do realize that glancing =/= sinning, correct?
If a glance contains lust, yes it is sinning.

The question is, do you glance at something like that with lust or without - even for a split second.  You don't have to burn in passion to lust.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1000 on: June 05, 2014, 12:42:23 PM »
Yesh, reserve your controlling to your wife and children and stop telling other women what to do.

Then why follow a bishop or the saints, as they told you what to do?

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1001 on: June 05, 2014, 12:44:37 PM »

To me this thread makes you come off as having an unhealthy obsession with the women around you.

See, I'll add this to the list.
1) Hypersexualization sums up the thread.
2) Controlling women sums up the thread.
3) Me being a pervert sums up the thread.
4) This thread is about Yeshuaisiam sums up the thread.
and now
5) My unhealthy obsession with the women around me sums up the thread.

Accept what your saints told you.  I accept what they said was correct because I suffer from some of it.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1002 on: June 05, 2014, 12:47:11 PM »
Shocker, you glance at women.   ::)

You dont want to do...

end of story.

Well the saints had a lot of pages on it, and I don't see you criticizing them.  Mostly what you are reading in the "pages" you speak of, is me defending the writings of Orthodox saints.  LOL

That's why this thread is too ironic.  Read their writings, they SPECIFICALLY tell women to cover up.  It's even in the bible!  Wow imagine that!

Well somebody has to defend them, because the very arguments I'm making (which are spoken of by the saints) are being attacked by Eastern Orthodox Christians here on the forum.  I quoted them to prove to you seemingly worldly Eastern Orthodox Christians, that you aren't supposed to be of this world in dress & modesty at all - and that my arguments are not as insane as you make me out to be since your saints cite the same things.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 12:48:31 PM by yeshuaisiam »

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1003 on: June 05, 2014, 12:48:24 PM »

and now

Accept what your saints told you.  I accept what they said was correct because I suffer from some of it.

Yes, all of those work as well.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1004 on: June 05, 2014, 12:52:35 PM »

You dont want to do...

end of story.

Well the saints had a lot of pages on it, and I don't see you criticizing them.  Mostly what you are reading in the "pages" you speak of, is me defending the writings of Orthodox saints.  LOL

That's why this thread is too ironic.  Read their writings, they SPECIFICALLY tell women to cover up.  It's even in the bible!  Wow imagine that!

Well somebody has to defend them, because the very arguments I'm making (which are spoken of by the saints) are being attacked by Eastern Orthodox Christians here on the forum.  I quoted them to prove to you seemingly worldly Eastern Orthodox Christians, that you aren't supposed to be of this world in dress & modesty at all - and that my arguments are not as insane as you make me out to be since your saints cite the same things.

But yet you argue against Orthodoxy and the Saints when you disagree.

That is what I am getting at here... that you are somehow the 'defender of modesty', and will troll through sources you throw out on even more important things........in order to 'win' this discussion.

Maybe if you spent half as much time praying and learning to avert your eyes when tempted......as you do finding things that agree with your views.......

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1005 on: June 05, 2014, 01:00:09 PM »

and now

Yes, all of those work as well.

I see the summary as (from the general posters in the thread):

When presented with a dissenter from the Eastern Orthodox church, who makes points against Eastern Orthodoxy frequently, we should attack what he says at all costs.  If he presents a weakness in himself in the form of glancing lust, we should attack it, exploit it, and make it into a theatrical issue.  When he presents quotations from our own saints, we will ignore them to further to justify ourselves as we seek our worldly desires, worldly ways, and worldly styles.   We will not accept what he says at all costs, nor what our saints say, nor what our monasteries say.  We will go on in our own will, and ignore the bible and our own church.  Modesty is all a perception, and the saint's are invalid of what they say.  

There ya go.

If the majority of the posters in this long thread can't agree with the monastics or saints of the church, there's not much left to say.  Frankly, I don't know who I am debating on the subject.

I think from this point on the debate will just be circular.  I'll continually be called names (with no EO sources contrary to what I say), and I'll continue to refer back to the saints and monastics and authoritative Eastern Orthodox works.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1006 on: June 05, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »

You dont want to do...

end of story.

But yet you argue against Orthodoxy and the Saints when you disagree.

That is what I am getting at here... that you are somehow the 'defender of modesty', and will troll through sources you throw out on even more important things........in order to 'win' this discussion.

Maybe if you spent half as much time praying and learning to avert your eyes when tempted......as you do finding things that agree with your views.......

Wait a second, that's why I posted Pre-Nicea saints, where I find no writings or mentions on the subjects I argue against (such as icons).   I specifically mentioned the saint and work I posted as Post-Nicea, for those here who would respect it more.

I could post you a slew of stuff (for EO reference) on modest dress and how women can invite men to fall post-nicea.  I just did mostly pre-nicea stuff to be more credible.

Gotta break for now, children just told me they spotted a coyote in daylight.

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #1007 on: June 05, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »
This is such a silly thread.

Yesh--Be a man and take the Mark 4:7 literally: :And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire. "

Note that it does not tell you to go on and on about buttons and back-flesh, and to highly recommend for Orthodox women to go about wearing scarecrow costumes as the women of the Arabian Peninsula are forced to. In any case, here are the steps you can take:

1. Go live in the Arabian Peninsula or Sudan, where ever the Salafist vermin have the greatest infestation.

2. Pluck out one eye and put a patch over the other one when in any situation that may force you to be exposed to back-flesh and loose buttons.

3. Pluck out both eyes.

4. Remain at home or check thee into a monastery.

If any of the above do not suit you, why don't do us a favor and quit posting further on this thread?

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1008 on: June 05, 2014, 02:36:57 PM »
I've thought for some time that this thread was intended to be a stealth way  to show the Orthodox they are in error by pointing out that the Orthodox women dress like sluts (yeah, right) , in hopes of converting us to Mennonite or something.

Look, how many Orthodox women do you see out there in Farmville?   Unless you are in Sharon, PA, some sections of Youngstown, Ohio and Pittsburgh, PA, and possibly Tarpon Springs, I doubt you are running into many Orthodox women unless you are searching for them on the internet.  I'll bet you are mainly seeing Protestant women or maybe neo-Pagans or something, so why not go preach to them about how they are causing you to stray?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:45:13 PM by Adela »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #1009 on: June 05, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »
Summary of thread:

I'm not EO, I don't go to Divine Liturgy, but I am offended by the women that do go because they wear things that I don't see because I don't go. The End.
God bless!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1010 on: June 05, 2014, 04:46:06 PM »
Summary of thread:

I'm not EO, I don't go to Divine Liturgy, but I am offended by the women that do go because they wear things that I don't see because I don't go. The End.

We have a winner.  ;D
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #1011 on: June 05, 2014, 05:48:34 PM »
All someone does is post a plea for women to watch what they wear in public, and the demons in hell suddenly appear causing chaos.

Does anyone care anymore?

What about the commandment to love one another ...  to be kind.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 05:50:37 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1012 on: June 05, 2014, 05:59:43 PM »
All someone does is post a plea for women to watch what they wear in public, and the demons in hell suddenly appear causing chaos.

Physician, heal thyself. You just called your fellow posters "demons" - just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't make them a demon.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #1013 on: June 05, 2014, 06:04:32 PM »
To be fair to YIM, I don't think he is talking specifically about any women here. Really, I'm not sure there is a collective millimeter of skin held by those so outraged in this thread that's going to lead YIM astray.

IOW, POGTTO!
January 23, 2016, 03:47:17 PM   Ad Hominem - "mere foil"   +45

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foil_(literature)

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1014 on: June 05, 2014, 06:08:46 PM »
To be fair to YIM, I don't think he is talking specifically about any women here. Really, I'm not sure there is a collective millimeter of skin held by those so outraged in this thread that's going to lead YIM astray.

I think that YIM is pretty much preaching to the choir here. Those women who do show a lot of flesh probably would not look at this board, this thread, or YIM's posts.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #1015 on: June 05, 2014, 06:11:22 PM »

I think that YIM is pretty much preaching to the choir here. Those women who do show a lot of flesh probably would not look at this board, this thread, or YIM's posts.

We can only pray that you are correct!
January 23, 2016, 03:47:17 PM   Ad Hominem - "mere foil"   +45

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foil_(literature)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #1016 on: June 05, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »

Maria, people do care - they care that Orthodoxy and individuals, male and female alike, are being smeared by someone who is not only not in the Church, but has a seriously distorted, obsessive and sick view on how Orthodox women should dress.

Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #1017 on: June 05, 2014, 10:06:35 PM »
I think the problem I have is that Yesh is actively searching out images that cause him to stumble. I can allow that possibly he is so incredibly carnally tempted that skin under buttons will set him off. I still don't understand why he would actively seek out images that he knows cause him to stumble. He has yet to really explain that.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #1018 on: June 05, 2014, 10:10:54 PM »
I think the problem I have is that Yesh is actively searching out images that cause him to stumble. I can allow that possibly he is so incredibly carnally tempted that skin under buttons will set him off. I still don't understand why he would actively seek out images that he knows cause him to stumble. He has yet to really explain that.

Libido is a hell of a drug.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #1019 on: June 05, 2014, 10:14:12 PM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #1020 on: June 05, 2014, 10:24:05 PM »
Servant of God, Maria Menounos, showing back flesh.

God bless!

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1021 on: June 05, 2014, 10:44:53 PM »
Servant of God, Maria Menounos, showing back flesh.

O my, gotta delete that picture quickly.   :o

She is showing entirely too much flesh.
And that makeup.
And that red color.

Oh my. Is she attending the annual Academy Awards in that get up?    :o

She would not be wearing that expensive outfit to Church, now would she?    ::)

TT: what is your objective here?
Are you deliberately trying to tempt YIM?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:46:16 PM by Maria »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #1022 on: June 05, 2014, 10:47:54 PM »
She would not be wearing that expensive outfit to Church, now would she?    ::)

She's Greek, so probably.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #1023 on: June 05, 2014, 11:01:51 PM »
Anyone who uses the internet sees far worse pictures than that. Yahoo.com currently has more revealing pics of Hayden Panettiere, J-Lo, Maria Sharapova, a couple of ads, and that is just me glancing quickly through the main articles. Harassing women because you can see their neck or a bit of skin on their back is ridiculous.
God bless!

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1024 on: June 05, 2014, 11:04:54 PM »
Anyone who uses the internet sees far worse pictures than that. Yahoo.com currently has more revealing pics of Hayden Panettiere, J-Lo, Maria Sharapova, a couple of ads, and that is just me glancing quickly through the main articles. Harassing women because you can see their neck or a bit of skin on their back is ridiculous.

Harassing women? With the roll-eye smilie, I was showing that it was a sarcastic statement.

When searching for said pictures, are not you exposing yourself to temptations?

We are to avoid temptations, are we not?

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #1025 on: June 05, 2014, 11:06:27 PM »
Last night, I was about to post a link to a Bing search for a porn star.  The porn star gave me an autographed picture at a college convention back in 1992.  I had a 4.0 GPA that semester before destroying the picture as I prepared to leave the dorm.

Then I remembered that this was an Orthodox Christian forum and I didn't want to tempt yeshuaisiam further than necessary, so I didn't post the link.   :laugh:  :police:  :angel:

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1026 on: June 05, 2014, 11:08:22 PM »
Last night, I was about to post a link to a Bing search for a porn star.  The porn star gave me an autographed picture at a college convention back in 1992. I had a 4.0 GPA that semester before destroying the picture as I prepared to leave the dorm.

Did your GPA drop because of that picture?   ::)

Thank you for not posting that picture.  :angel:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:10:31 PM by Maria »

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #1027 on: June 05, 2014, 11:10:14 PM »
Last night, I was about to post a link to a Bing search for a porn star.  The porn star gave me an autographed picture at a college convention back in 1992. I had a 4.0 GPA that semester before destroying the picture as I prepared to leave the dorm.

Did you GPA drop because of that picture?   ::)

At the end of my sophomore year, my cumulative GPA was 3.81.  My final GPA was 3.73.  I guess the picture was a good luck charm, who knows.   ::)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #1028 on: June 05, 2014, 11:11:39 PM »
I am no more tempted searching google images for Maria Menounos than I am sitting on the beach while on vacation or walking down the street during the summer. Just seeing a woman in a bathing suit, short shorts or in an evening gown doesn't necessarily force your libido into overdrive.
God bless!

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1029 on: June 05, 2014, 11:14:21 PM »

Did you GPA drop because of that picture?   ::)

At the end of my sophomore year, my cumulative GPA was 3.81.  My final GPA was 3.73.  I guess the picture was a good luck charm, who knows.   ::)

I knew a woman who worked as a mod-admin for the college library where they had multiple computer stations for students to use. Every day, she would lock one or two of the computers because some boy was accessing hard porn sites.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #1030 on: June 05, 2014, 11:16:30 PM »

That would have been a link to the first page of search results, not a picture.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1031 on: June 05, 2014, 11:16:42 PM »
I am no more tempted searching google images for Maria Menounos than I am sitting on the beach while on vacation or walking down the street during the summer. Just seeing a woman in a bathing suit, short shorts or in an evening gown doesn't necessarily force your libido into overdrive.

Some men have their libido fried by drugs. The rat poison fluoride does a number on the brain.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1032 on: June 05, 2014, 11:17:26 PM »

That would have been a link to the first page of search results, not a picture.

Lord have mercy.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #1033 on: June 05, 2014, 11:18:43 PM »

Some men have their libido fried by drugs. The rat poison fluoride does a number on the brain.
LOL, sometimes, I can't tell if you are serious or if you are just poking fun at yourself.
God bless!

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #1034 on: June 05, 2014, 11:19:02 PM »

High blood pressure, spinal stenosis and diabetes also kill libido.  Viagra and medications like it increase blood flow.