Author Topic: Head coverings, modesty, and the weakness of me  (Read 72548 times)

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: Head coverings, modesty, and the weakness of me
« Reply #1125 on: July 19, 2014, 08:08:22 PM »
Not to be argumentative, but a D cup is actually not that large in the grade scope of things. Society at large evens out to around a 34DD now.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/24/bra-size-survey_n_3645267.html

I never knew that

Marilyn Monroe was a 36 D and that was considered large by standards back then.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #1126 on: July 19, 2014, 08:17:28 PM »
I suppose we could chat instead about the problems men have with visible packages, or hiding their tush. Because women *do* look, even if for just a moment.

It is the Jockey packaging that drives me crazy with those male models.  :'( My husband has me buy his underwear as he will not go into a store, so I have to look at the package and make sure I get the right size. Once I just grabbed, but then had to return the package because it was the wrong size and style. It was double jeopardy. i had to go back, and ask the kind gentleman to help me find the right package.

Is this a joke?  Your husband has agoraphobia?

No, he just doesn't like the experience he had when several fat women elbowed his way out of line. They just had to be first in line, so they pushed him out of the line. For some reason, most of the women seem to do the shopping at our local JC Penneys.

He has a fear of fat women - hondrogynophobia....

hondros = fat; gyno = woman; phobia = fear

Stop playing an armchair shrink.

He does not have any fears. He would not prefer to fight with an obese hunk of flesh.

Why not?

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1127 on: July 19, 2014, 08:39:31 PM »
I suppose we could chat instead about the problems men have with visible packages, or hiding their tush. Because women *do* look, even if for just a moment.

It is the Jockey packaging that drives me crazy with those male models.  :'( My husband has me buy his underwear as he will not go into a store, so I have to look at the package and make sure I get the right size. Once I just grabbed, but then had to return the package because it was the wrong size and style. It was double jeopardy. i had to go back, and ask the kind gentleman to help me find the right package.

No, he just doesn't like the experience he had when several fat women elbowed his way out of line. They just had to be first in line, so they pushed him out of the line. For some reason, most of the women seem to do the shopping at our local JC Penneys.

He does not have any fears. He would not prefer to fight with an obese hunk of flesh.

Why not?

"obese hunk of flesh" made me think of boobs

this is the worst thread
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #1128 on: July 19, 2014, 08:40:22 PM »

Why not?

Not everyone is into that kind of thing. Let's leave such talk to the orthonorm perversity dating thread anyway.  :P

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #1129 on: July 19, 2014, 08:41:46 PM »

It is the Jockey packaging that drives me crazy with those male models.  :'( My husband has me buy his underwear as he will not go into a store, so I have to look at the package and make sure I get the right size. Once I just grabbed, but then had to return the package because it was the wrong size and style. It was double jeopardy. i had to go back, and ask the kind gentleman to help me find the right package.

Why not?

"obese hunk of flesh" made me think of boobs

this is the worst thread

You think that's bad? I was about to ask Maria if she has a single young granddaughter who's inherited her same genes.

But yeah, this thread is bad, even by my standards.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 08:42:50 PM by JamesR »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #1130 on: July 19, 2014, 09:06:34 PM »
What standards?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #1131 on: July 19, 2014, 09:08:26 PM »
Now for something completely different:

Our 2 year old isn't feeling real great. So he wants to watch this video of funny dogs over and over:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GloxBJ-bG2g
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:08:58 PM by Quinault »

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #1132 on: July 19, 2014, 09:12:31 PM »
Now for something completely different:

Our 2 year old isn't feeling real great. So he wants to watch this video of funny dogs over and over:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GloxBJ-bG2g

Randomly got to the 7:04 mark and just laughed and laughed.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1133 on: July 19, 2014, 09:45:42 PM »

This, this right here is why I often don't get along very well with women. This type of speech is generally considered OK in women's circles, I tend to "cross the line" that I don't even know exists and offend people. Fat jokes=OK, pointing out stupidity=going too far. To me, fat and skinny jokes (or really any joke that judges a woman's body) isn't OK. Our intelligence is under our control, often our bodies are not.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:47:05 PM by Quinault »

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1134 on: July 19, 2014, 09:48:46 PM »

This, this right here is why I often don't get along very well with women. This type of speech is generally considered OK in women's circles, I tend to "cross the line" that I don't even know exists and offend people. Fat jokes=OK, pointing out stupidity=going too far. To me, fat and skinny jokes (or really any joke that judges a woman's body) isn't OK. Our intelligence is under our control, often our bodies are not.

Consistency isn't her strong suit.

Calling a woman "hysterical" = wrong
Calling a woman "obese hunk of flesh" = a-ok.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1135 on: July 19, 2014, 10:01:10 PM »
I attended a BBQ recently (I hate social gatherings). The women were off in a corner discussing juicing and how great it is for losing weight. These women were all like a size 6 or less. It was so vapid, I went and chatted with the guys about knives. I love being a woman, as long as I don't have to talk to too many women...I would much rather discuss just about anything BUT dietary fads. Although we are a GF household, it has exactly ZERO to do with weight loss.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:02:29 PM by Quinault »

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #1136 on: July 19, 2014, 10:18:35 PM »

We can control what we eat, particularly if we avoid processed fast foods that contain added sugar and MSG because these two ingredients are highly addictive and can cause rapid weight gain. Those supreme weight loss challenges on TV encouraged women to give up fast foods and start eating freshly cooked foods with raw veggies when they felt that they had to nibble on something.

And it is really sad here in Los Angeles to see these out-of-control obese women expose their body parts especially at Costco and Walmart. On the other hand, some people are ill, and they cannot control their weight, I understand that.

But many obese women are taking heavy doses of statins and other pharmaceutical drugs, which have dangerous side effect, including moodiness. So, no, do not blame women, put the blame on the pharmaceutical companies, the chemical companies, like Dow and Mosanto, and the giant agricultural monopolies like ConAgra and Cargill.

When my doctor asked me if I would rather take drugs to loose weight or use diet and exercise, I opted for the more natural approach, and it worked.

p.s. I am certainly not a 6. That would make me look anorexic.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:23:42 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1137 on: July 19, 2014, 10:25:36 PM »
Body fat doesn't necessarily have anything to do with health. It might surprise you to know that thin people can actually be quite unhealthy. You live in LA, the place of body worship; obviously that mindset has made an imprint upon your psyche. You really are digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole.

Your logic:
You can control what you eat, so that is why being fat is in your control. If you eat "x" way you won't be fat.

Big Pharma makes you fat, so it isn't your fault, just stop taking those meds and eat "x" way and you can be thin.

Even in your justifications you are judging. Bite me :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:26:18 PM by Quinault »

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1138 on: July 19, 2014, 10:30:48 PM »
One of the kindest guys I knew as a teen was shaped like a walking beach ball. He had fought cancer as a child. When they excised the tumor in his brain, they damaged his pituitary gland. This meant that no matter what/how he ate, he gained weight. There was no surgery, no pills, no diet that would make him a "healthy" weight. His brain was damaged at an early age, and there was nothing to do about it. In order to be treated like a human, instead of a tub of lard, he had to tell the PAINFUL story about his childhood fight with cancer. Society wanted to paint him as some fat tub of lard without value because he was grossly overweight. The reality was that it wasn't in his control. More importantly IT WASN'T THE BUSINESS OF ANYONE TO JUDGE HIM. If you got to know that awesome your man, instead of judging the packaging, you were greatly blessed. Unfortunately, most people didn't care about getting to know the person before passing judgements. He could have drank freshly juiced mega organic fruits/veggies exclusively for the rest of his life; he was never going to be even close to just "obese" instead of grossly obese on the charts. He was happy to be alive and cancer free most of the time. But there were days when he wished that the cancer had killed him because the way that society treated him was just that bad.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:34:53 PM by Quinault »

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1139 on: July 19, 2014, 10:34:03 PM »
Body fat doesn't necessarily have anything to do with health. It might surprise you to know that thin people can actually be quite unhealthy. You live in LA, the place of body worship; obviously that mindset has made an imprint upon your psyche. You really are digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole.

Your logic:
You can control what you eat, so that is why being fat is in your control. If you eat "x" way you won't be fat.

Big Pharma makes you fat, so it isn't your fault, just stop taking those meds and eat "x" way and you can be thin.

No, I do not worship my body. As I said, I am not a 6, but I do have to tolerate women like you do who try to slip into an extremely small size while holding their breath. There were some studies where women who wore tight clothing had serious health problems. Bras, as we have seen, can cut off circulation. It does not take a rocket scientist to determine what tight spandex jeans will do to women's legs.

You are not reading very carefully. I said that some women have health problems that are causing their weight gain or it may be their genetics.

But we have an epidemic of obesity in the USA. I was obese once when I weighed in at 185, but I have reduced my weight to a normal weight, and it was not easy.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #1140 on: July 19, 2014, 10:39:29 PM »

Your logic:

No, I do not worship my body. As I said, I am not a 6, but I do have to tolerate women like you do who try to slip into an extremely small size while holding their breath.

Wow.  Do you know her?
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1141 on: July 19, 2014, 10:40:44 PM »
Nope, she has never met me once in her life. I stopped holding my breath to zip up my size zero jeans when I was 13. I realized it was just easier to go up a size ::)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:41:12 PM by Quinault »

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1142 on: July 19, 2014, 10:45:40 PM »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
God bless!

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #1144 on: July 19, 2014, 11:18:09 PM »
You women worry about your weight and all, for me it's my height. The constant short jokes can really set a man off in anger. In PE it motivated me to try to outperform the other boys.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #1145 on: July 19, 2014, 11:19:44 PM »

Your logic:

No, I do not worship my body. As I said, I am not a 6, but I do have to tolerate women like you do who try to slip into an extremely small size while holding their breath.

Wow.  Do you know her?

Nope, she has never met me once in her life.

This might be why people don't always like you, Maria.  It's not because the New World Order is conspiring against you for not accepting the Mystery of Iniquity.  
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1146 on: July 19, 2014, 11:26:20 PM »
Nope, she has never met me once in her life.

Sorry, Quinault, that was a typo. I meant to agree with you about the women at the BBQ who were talking about juicing and about wearing a size 6. However, I accidentally did a cut and paste in the wrong place, and then forgot to reread the paragraph.

What is a size 0? It doesn't sound like any clothing at all, much like what the Emperor wore in the book The Emperor has no clothes.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:26:44 PM by Maria »

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #1147 on: July 19, 2014, 11:29:57 PM »
What is a size 0?

It's one of the Mysteries of Iniquity.   :laugh: :laugh:

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
« Reply #1148 on: July 19, 2014, 11:31:29 PM »
It is what the heroin chic girls wear.
God bless!

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #1149 on: July 19, 2014, 11:34:30 PM »
What is a size 0? It doesn't sound like any clothing at all, much like what the Emperor wore in the book The Emperor has no clothes.

My mother averages a size 0 or 2. It's quite common over here due to the large population of Asian American women who are generally more petite.

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1150 on: July 20, 2014, 12:27:18 AM »
I think head coverings are neat, but all this talk of skirt cut length and fabrics is way excessive. I'm a teenage boy and I know how to control myself not looking at a girl in Church. In fact, I would be more likely to stare if the women were "mmph"-ing under a ton of coverings like Imperial Guards from Star Wars or the average Saudi housewife.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1151 on: July 20, 2014, 12:46:56 AM »
I think head coverings are neat, but all this talk of skirt cut length and fabrics is way excessive. I'm a teenage boy and I know how to control myself not looking at a girl in Church. In fact, I would be more likely to stare if the women were "mmph"-ing under a ton of coverings like Imperial Guards from Star Wars or the average Saudi housewife.

Yes, the Islamic coverings for women can be quite distracting for the women who are probably more likely to trip while wearing them.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #1152 on: July 20, 2014, 12:54:17 AM »

Yes, the Islamic coverings for women can be quite distracting for the women who are probably more likely to trip while wearing them.

I'm sure they get used to it.  Practice makes perfect.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #1153 on: July 20, 2014, 01:24:01 AM »
I love how most the argument here about obesity is how they shove themselves in clothes and a poster has to see them that way and dislikes it.

News flash

The world of others does not revolve around you and pleasing you.

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1154 on: July 20, 2014, 01:28:12 AM »
Hey, if you don't look like Barbie, then please do not try to wear her clothes.

Not only does it look gross, but also it is not good for your health.

Dressing in loose comfortable clothing is much more modest. comfortable, and healthy no matter what your weight.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #1155 on: July 20, 2014, 01:33:59 AM »
Tight clothes cause cancer.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1156 on: July 20, 2014, 01:48:33 AM »

Yes, there is that link.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #1157 on: July 20, 2014, 01:52:58 AM »

Yes, there is that link.

Breathing also causes cancer.