Author Topic: Head coverings, modesty, and the weakness of me  (Read 89286 times)

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Re: Head coverings, modesty, and the weakness of me
« Reply #1080 on: July 19, 2014, 06:56:43 PM »
And if a lady's button offend you, cut it off. For it is better for her to lose the button, than to tempt you with lust and lose her soul.

LOL

Is this Rachel, whom Mor adores? Warning = sure to offend

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/ladies-ditch-bra-1

Her buttons are showing.

Not Rachel and not offended.

I would feel embarrassed walking around that way. :facepalm:

I'm sure others would have some strong feelings about it as well.

Well, I am a 40 D with an hour glass figure. It would set some guys off. Big time.

I don't think I can go to Communion tomorrow anymore.  :'(

Are you worried about throwing up the Gifts?

:'( You are just plain jealous!  :angel:
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #1081 on: July 19, 2014, 06:57:37 PM »
And if a lady's button offend you, cut it off. For it is better for her to lose the button, than to tempt you with lust and lose her soul.

LOL

Her buttons are showing.

Well, I am a 40 D with an hour glass figure. It would set some guys off. Big time.

Are you worried about throwing up the Gifts?

I'm worried about the Gifts throwing up me.  This has been an entirely scandalous discussion.  First I skipped Vespers, and now this.  Wretched man that I am...
Apparently, can smart . . has brain.

Yes, I do real Theology

I am the Antichrist LOL just kidding

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #1082 on: July 19, 2014, 06:58:35 PM »
25 pages of crazy. This thread should be required reading for potential members. "Are you sure you want to join OCnet? How about now?"
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • Resident breeder-8 kids
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #1083 on: July 19, 2014, 07:04:10 PM »

LOL

Her buttons are showing.

Sorry, that is a TMI, but now you know why I make my own blouses.

Take away a couple band sizes, and add about 6 cup sizes, and you can understand why I have zero sympathy for your plight. ;) There will be a surgery in my future for chronic back pain.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 07:06:58 PM by Quinault »

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1084 on: July 19, 2014, 07:06:16 PM »

LOL

Her buttons are showing.

Take away a couple band sizes, and add about 6 cup sizes, and you can understand why I have zero sympathy for your plight. ;)

TMI - Lord have mercy.

Of course, you are nursing. That explains a lot.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1085 on: July 19, 2014, 07:08:16 PM »
Nope, wasn't much better before I started having children. Imagine how awful it is for a 10 year old to have the rack of a woman in her early 20's. Confusing, and horrible can't begin to touch it.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #1086 on: July 19, 2014, 07:09:14 PM »

LOL

Her buttons are showing.

LOL, Saturday Night boob talk. Shoulda been at Vigil.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1087 on: July 19, 2014, 07:10:27 PM »
My point is that there are some things that even good tailoring can't hide.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1088 on: July 19, 2014, 07:12:31 PM »
Nope, wasn't much better before I started having children. Imagine how awful it is for a 10 year old to have the rack of a woman in her early 20's. Confusing, and horrible can't begin to touch it.

My son felt the same way. Lord have mercy. So, I was told by the priest to wear extra clothing even in the heat. I purchased and also made some vests. Then the women in the parish started calling me "goody goody two shoes" because they felt I was dressing too modestly. Well, the priest told me to cover up, and then his wife attacks me. Can't win for losing.

And perhaps that is why my son married as soon as he turned 21.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 07:15:28 PM by Maria »

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1089 on: July 19, 2014, 07:16:25 PM »
My point is that there are some things that even good tailoring can't hide.

Sometimes good tailoring can make it more pronounced. Vests are used by a lot of teachers.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1090 on: July 19, 2014, 07:17:58 PM »
Girls are reaching puberty at younger and younger ages. When you start to develop at a young age, it is humiliating and you really hate your body. Now, I don't think that men should blind themselves. Nor do I think women should go around wearing the tightest and smallest clothing possible. But I do think that men need to take into account the fact that by telling women that *they* are the cause when a man stumbles, they are teaching women to be ashamed. A ten year old girl that wears a C cup has enough issues without being told that she is a brazen hussy for wearing a shirt that shows her neck, or is slightly form fitting.

I recall vividly being chastised as a 13 year old girl for dressing inappropriately because of my figure at a church youth event by an older woman. I was just borrowing the clothing of a friend that wore the same size clothing. This is something teen girls have done for as long as I can recall. The problem was that she actually *had* the figure of a 13 year old, and I didn't. That moment was one of the most humiliating experiences of my life. Because of my figure I was labeled as "slut" by women that should have been supportive and loving of me. I was trying to wear clothing for teenage girls, and it wasn't working. Our eldest daughter is having similar issues. So instead of trying to get her to wear teen clothes, we just skipped to women's XS. Teen clothing won't accommodate a figure, so it is TIGHT. Women's clothing has some ease, so it is better for a young girl with a figure.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 07:22:21 PM by Quinault »

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1091 on: July 19, 2014, 07:20:30 PM »
Vests- yeah not going to happen. I have some self respect, not much but enough.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1092 on: July 19, 2014, 07:24:25 PM »

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #1093 on: July 19, 2014, 07:31:09 PM »

This brings back the somewhat odd memory of when I asked my substitute teacher in 7th grade to marry me and even got on one knee with my mom's ring (which I stole the same morning). Needless to say, I got in big trouble; yet at the same time, my Middle School legacy was defined.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #1094 on: July 19, 2014, 07:32:13 PM »
Really, what the heck am I reading?  You guys have out-YiM'd YiM. 

Yes, I do real Theology

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #1095 on: July 19, 2014, 07:34:15 PM »
Girls are reaching puberty at younger and younger ages. When you start to develop at a young age, it is humiliating and you really hate your body. Now, I don't think that men should blind themselves. Nor do I think women should go around wearing the tightest and smallest clothing possible. But I do think that men need to take into account the fact that by telling women that *they* are the cause when a man stumbles, they are teaching women to be ashamed. A ten year old girl that wears a C cup has enough issues without being told that she is a brazen hussy for wearing a shirt that shows her neck, or is slightly form fitting.

I recall vividly being chastised as a 13 year old girl for dressing inappropriately because of my figure at a church youth event by an older woman. I was just borrowing the clothing of a friend that wore the same size clothing. This is something teen girls have done for as long as I can recall. The problem was that she actually *had* the figure of a 13 year old, and I didn't. That moment was one of the most humiliating experiences of my life. Because of my figure I was labeled as "slut" by women that should have been supportive and loving of me. I was trying to wear clothing for teenage girls, and it wasn't working. Our eldest daughter is having similar issues. So instead of trying to get her to wear teen clothes, we just skipped to women's XS. Teen clothing won't accommodate a figure, so it is TIGHT. Women's clothing has some ease, so it is better for a young girl with a figure.

Adolescents can be cruel to an overly attractive young female--especially males.

Sometimes when I reminisce back upon how much we ogled at & haplessly flirted with the girl who got held back and was thus older and more physically developed than the rest of the females in 7th-8th grade.

I wonder if the other females were cruel to her.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1096 on: July 19, 2014, 07:34:37 PM »

When I was 13, I can remember my mom giving me some of her old clothes she had saved when she was newly married. They fit me wonderfully. And they were Misses, not teen sizes. I started wearing Misses sizes 10s and 12s as a 13 year old.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #1097 on: July 19, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »
I don't know.

I was rendered speechless and reduced to a quivering blob just thinking about all those 'buttons of Hecma'
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1098 on: July 19, 2014, 07:36:42 PM »
I suppose we could chat instead about the problems men have with visible packages, or hiding their tush. Because women *do* look, even if for just a moment.

School gym was the worst. The boys lined up on the side of the track to watch me jog so they could heckle me. No wonder I skipped gym every-freaking-day I was in middle and high school. I didn't have that option in grade school.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1099 on: July 19, 2014, 07:36:56 PM »

Maybe we should have a private woman's forum.

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #1100 on: July 19, 2014, 07:38:28 PM »

Well this thread has certainly taken a peculiarly bizarre turn for the worst, even by my standards. We have people arguing over back flesh, Maria boasting about her body in an eerily attractive way, LBK and Kelly ganging up on people again, photo albums of fat people in swimwear (Vamrat may like to see that btw), and then me rambling off about my seemingly meaningless escapades during middle school.

This thread certainly does make us appear crazy (ier) than usual to the onlooking visitors.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1101 on: July 19, 2014, 07:39:28 PM »
Nah, I think most women that are regular posters on here would miss the completely non-sexual male interaction. Because any woman that can tough it out on this site enjoys going toe to toe in a debate like a man. ;)

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1102 on: July 19, 2014, 07:40:56 PM »
I suppose we could chat instead about the problems men have with visible packages, or hiding their tush. Because women *do* look, even if for just a moment.

It is the Jockey packaging that drives me crazy with those male models.  :'( My husband has me buy his underwear as he will not go into a store, so I have to look at the package and make sure I get the right size. Once I just grabbed, but then had to return the package because it was the wrong size and style. It was double jeopardy. i had to go back, and ask the kind gentleman to help me find the right package.

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #1103 on: July 19, 2014, 07:41:02 PM »

Yeah and that isn't no fun either. Every morning during private school they would have every male stand and lift up his jacket while a female student went around to examine that each of our shirts were tucked in and that we had a belt. It felt strange to say in the least, especially for pubescent boys fighting off the morning wood.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1104 on: July 19, 2014, 07:41:54 PM »

It is the Jockey packaging that drives me crazy with those male models.  :'( My husband has me buy his underwear as he will not go into a store, so I have to look at the package and make sure I get the right size. Once I just grabbed, but then had to return the package because it was the wrong size and style. It was double jeopardy. i had to go back, and ask the kind gentleman to help me find the right package.

Is this real life?
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #1105 on: July 19, 2014, 07:42:15 PM »

Well this thread has certainly taken a peculiarly bizarre turn for the worst, even by my standards. We have people arguing over back flesh, Maria boasting about her body in an eerily attractive way, LBK and Kelly ganging up on people again, photo albums of fat people in swimwear (Vamrat may like to see that btw), and then me rambling off about my seemingly meaningless escapades during middle school.

This thread certainly does make us appear crazy (ier) than usual to the onlooking visitors.

James,

It wasn't that long ago you were enviously watching frogs having sex.  I wouldn't talk about Vamrat if I were you.  And I wouldn't talk about Kelly if I were you.  Or really anyone else.  

Yes, I do real Theology

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #1106 on: July 19, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »

Is this real life?

If it's a dream it must be drug induced. 
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #1107 on: July 19, 2014, 07:43:32 PM »

James,

It wasn't that long ago you were enviously watching frogs having sex.  I wouldn't talk about Vamrat if I were you.  And I wouldn't talk about Kelly if I were you.  Or really anyone else.  

Hey, I'm the worst of the bunch. The aforementioned have nothing on me. Although they are still fun to tease just as I take teasing :)

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1108 on: July 19, 2014, 07:43:44 PM »

Yeah and that isn't no fun either. Every morning during private school they would have every male stand and lift up his jacket while a female student went around to examine that each of our shirts were tucked in and that we had a belt. It felt strange to say in the least, especially for pubescent boys fighting off the morning wood.

Whoever came up with that idea was an idiot. Having teens examine teens is just stupid.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1109 on: July 19, 2014, 07:45:56 PM »
Nah, I think most women that are regular posters on here would miss the completely non-sexual male interaction. Because any woman that can tough it out on this site enjoys going toe to toe in a debate like a man. ;)

You are right. If we had a woman's forum, it would end up being a daily chicken fight.

Cluck, cluck, cluck, be gok.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1110 on: July 19, 2014, 07:47:29 PM »

Is this real life?

If it's a dream it must be drug induced. 

Now this dialog would ideally fit into a woman's chicken fight.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1111 on: July 19, 2014, 07:48:20 PM »

You are right. If we had a woman's forum, it would end up being a daily chicken fight.

We just need a strong, male figure to guide us.

Countdown until James volunteers...
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1112 on: July 19, 2014, 07:48:29 PM »

The original poster spoke of passing glances. The reality is that every woman will have passing glances every so often. We just don't make a huge-freaking-deal out of it.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1113 on: July 19, 2014, 07:48:58 PM »

Bwahahahahhahahha!

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #1114 on: July 19, 2014, 07:49:50 PM »

Well, you took the fun out of it, but yeah, I was going to volunteer...

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #1115 on: July 19, 2014, 07:50:54 PM »

Is this a joke?  Your husband has agoraphobia?

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1116 on: July 19, 2014, 07:51:35 PM »

Bwahahahahhahahha!

James for mod of the private woman's forum.

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #1117 on: July 19, 2014, 07:52:32 PM »
For those of you who know me on Facebook and have thus seen my mother, is it shameful and wrong that growing up I was always somewhat embarrassed of my mother due to her young age and figure? Everyone I knew thought she was my sister or a younger aunt. Having what many people considered an attractive mother made life a bit bizarre for me.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1118 on: July 19, 2014, 07:53:35 PM »

No, he just doesn't like the experience he had when several fat women elbowed his way out of line. They just had to be first in line, so they pushed him out of the line. For some reason, most of the women seem to do the shopping at our local JC Penneys.

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #1119 on: July 19, 2014, 07:54:07 PM »

I doubt it's agoraphobia as much as it's that many men simply don't like shopping for clothing.

I hate shopping for pants and jeans. Finding a size that isn't too long is extraordinarily hard given my short stature. I average a 29/30 30/30 and its probably the rarest size to find.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1120 on: July 19, 2014, 07:55:06 PM »
For those of you who know me on Facebook and have thus seen my mother, is it shameful and wrong that growing up I was always somewhat embarrassed of my mother due to her young age and figure? Everyone I knew thought she was my sister or a younger aunt. Having what many people considered an attractive mother made life a bit bizarre for me.

You were envied, that is all.

Many young boys would love to have an attractive mom, not one with curlers in her hair at 12 noon.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #1121 on: July 19, 2014, 07:58:23 PM »

LOL

Her buttons are showing.

Actress Soleil Moon Frye (Punky Brewster) had bust reduction surgery due to chronic back pain from her large bust.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #1122 on: July 19, 2014, 08:00:34 PM »

No, he just doesn't like the experience he had when several fat women elbowed his way out of line. They just had to be first in line, so they pushed him out of the line. For some reason, most of the women seem to do the shopping at our local JC Penneys.

He has a fear of fat women - hondrogynophobia....

hondros = fat; gyno = woman; phobia = fear

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1123 on: July 19, 2014, 08:03:04 PM »

No, it isn't shameful or wrong. It would be very confusing, bordering upon humiliating to hear your friends talk about your mother being attractive. It isn't jealousy either, it is just teen boys that don't know how to behave properly. How exactly is one to respond to "Dude, your mom is HOT!" Would you thank them? Nah. Would you agree with them? No, that would be creepy. I figure you would just kind of laugh, and try to change the subject.

Right now most of my kids' friends think I am scary, which is fine with me :D

Not to be argumentative, but a D cup is actually not that large in the grade scope of things. Society at large evens out to around a 34DD now.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/24/bra-size-survey_n_3645267.html
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 08:10:41 PM by Quinault »

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #1124 on: July 19, 2014, 08:05:11 PM »

He has a fear of fat women - hondrogynophobia....

hondros = fat; gyno = woman; phobia = fear

Stop playing an armchair shrink.

He does not have any fears. He would not prefer to fight with an obese hunk of flesh.