Author Topic: Nihilism and The purpose of Life  (Read 5027 times)

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
Re: Nihilism and The purpose of Life
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2014, 12:17:38 AM »
Don't get bogged down with the spiritual.  There's a reason God only lets us use 10% of our brains.  

Lucy.

You are too clever. Really, tone it down.

I gotta retire for a while and wait for Fr. H to get righteous again.

Sounds exhausting. No one yet?

Seriously, I gotta go, this has been.

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2014, 01:26:10 AM »
According to Plato, the purpose of life is to, in fully health and happiness, play before God.

And according to Aristotle it's to know God.  :)

Really? Can you expand that?

In his youngest days, he wrote a tract to that effect, calling all men to the philosophic life, and quoting in support certain well-regarded Pre-Socratics saying the purpose of life is to observe the heavens. This was not his mature view, as far as I know, and the tract was even rejected as spurious by his disciples, becoming the locus of prolonged fight between them and the Neo-Platonists. My summation of his mature view would be that the purpose of life is to achieve eudaemonia, blessed contentment both materially and psychologically, and that this is best achieved by the nurturing and pruning of oneself (the cultivation of arete) to become the best fit for one's particular station. The rule against which to plan such nurturing and pruning is that of the mean average, a calculus that would make scientific the old Greek adage "Moderation in all things."
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Dan-Romania

• High Elder
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2014, 07:17:12 AM »
Dan, we can't let our own un-health cause us to see the purpose of life as unhealthy. From your posting history, I can conjecture that you may be passing through a phase of this on the way either to recovery or this. If so, it does sadden me that I would have no cure to suggest beyond the usual advice to see an expert. But at least (in my experience) it is better to be aware than not to be.

I can't relate and I took this test.

Results of your
Schizophrenia Screening Test
Please interpret the results below cautiously.

You scored a total of  3

advertisement You have answered this schizophrenia screening in such a way as to suggest that you are not likely currently suffering from schizophrenia or a schizophrenia-related disorder.

You should not take this as a diagnosis of any sort, or a recommendation for treatment. However, it would be advisable and likely beneficial for you to seek out further clarification about this matter from a trained mental health professional as soon as possible in order to rule out a possible schizophrenia or psychotic disorder.
This user no longer posts here.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2014, 08:56:13 AM »
???

That's not even close to what I was talking about. Stay away from internet quizzes and see a doctor.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Dan-Romania

• High Elder
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2014, 09:43:49 AM »
???

That's not even close to what I was talking about. Stay away from internet quizzes and see a doctor.

I just took it for the sake of it, to check... I am aware I might have some psychological problems I just can't tell what they are. Or I could be 100 sane with weird life :D.. What I know I have is some insane inner rage.. Anyway about your advice of seing a doctor, I am in a foreign country as I stand right now and my focus is to work as much as possible and find a good calm job.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2014, 09:47:16 AM »
There is psychotherapy in Romania, you know. Some things (most things) are more important than a job, and how will you handle a job if you are not in health?

Offline Dan-Romania

• High Elder
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2014, 10:13:42 AM »
There is psychotherapy in Romania, you know. Some things (most things) are more important than a job, and how will you handle a job if you are not in health?

Do you read what I post? I am not in Romania right now.

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2014, 10:46:11 AM »
According to Plato, the purpose of life is to, in fully health and happiness, play before God.

And according to Aristotle it's to know God.  :)

Really? Can you expand that?

In his youngest days, he wrote a tract to that effect, calling all men to the philosophic life, and quoting in support certain well-regarded Pre-Socratics saying the purpose of life is to observe the heavens. This was not his mature view, as far as I know, and the tract was even rejected as spurious by his disciples, becoming the locus of prolonged fight between them and the Neo-Platonists. My summation of his mature view would be that the purpose of life is to achieve eudaemonia, blessed contentment both materially and psychologically, and that this is best achieved by the nurturing and pruning of oneself (the cultivation of arete) to become the best fit for one's particular station. The rule against which to plan such nurturing and pruning is that of the mean average, a calculus that would make scientific the old Greek adage "Moderation in all things."
Aristotle ultimately argued that man's highest function his ability to know and contemplate on truth, and the the highest truth which one might contemplate is divine being.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Online Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Met. of Atlanta
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2014, 01:04:14 PM »
So I watched "Vanilla Sky" the other night and made me wonder about spiritual life and afterlife and being real with myself. The movie has a spiritual theme. David Aames(Tom Cruise)...
So my question is: What is the purpose of life?
The purpose of life is to avoid basing your philosophy of life on the last movie you watched.

Especially if it stars Tom Cruise.

;)
Quote from: Michael, Pope of Rome
We should fortify ourselves with the truths of the Faith. Our main focus should be to become saints. Unfortunately some spend much of their time in either trying to sort things out or what is worse, trying to convince the world that they are right. If we all aim at sanctifying ourselves, God will intervene and He will straighten things out. We cannot do it without Him.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2014, 02:37:12 PM »

I can rephrase. There is psychotherapy in foreign country X, and finding it is more important even than making that income; don't make excuses: it's your life that's on the line.

Offline Dan-Romania

• High Elder
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2014, 08:38:32 AM »

I can rephrase. There is psychotherapy in foreign country X, and finding it is more important even than making that income; don't make excuses: it's your life that's on the line.

My life starts after my sacrifice :D