OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 02:08:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: internet fast  (Read 1882 times) Average Rating: 0
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: March 13, 2005, 05:54:50 PM »

my dear friends of oc.net,

as my very first Great Lent begins, i realize i need to focus on some things i have been neglecting due to my amount of time on the internet, as well as the nature of AIM and message boards. as a result, i will be fasting from all internet but my 2 email accounts, which i will check once every evening - the only time i will be booting up my computer each day, and only for as long as it takes to reply to any emails that need replying to. please feel free to contact me via email, for a hello or anything beyond, throughout lent Smiley i'll be back in may! please pray for me, and forgive me for any hurt i may have caused you.

In Christ,
Donna Rose Mary

hmmmm...
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 06:46:37 PM »

Forgive me, brothers and sister, if I have offended anyone by any of my posts.  I forgive anyone who has offended me.
Marjorie

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 06:54:18 PM »

I too will be leaving for Great Lent.

Forgive me!

Marjorie

"The land of God is wide and large enough to provide room for everyone if we are humans. If we act like brutes, then there will not be enough room even if there are only four of us."

- His Holiness Patriarch +PAVLE of Serbia
lellimore

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 09:30:38 PM »

I think an "internet fast" is a good idea.  The internet is one of many things that can consume too much of your time, so if it does, it's good to give it a break from time to time.
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 10:42:27 PM »

I guess I'm not the only one who had this idea!  We're on the eve of the Holy Fast.  Enjoy the blini and the fish, then get your gear on, lock and load and prepare to do battle.  Remember, the Kingdom must be taken by force!  Good luck and of course, Christ bless everyone.  See you all in forty days.
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 11:03:36 PM »

I didn't realize what a great opportunity abstaining tediousness with greater control to not go on the Internet. I realized there is a lot of information coming at me at every second at the ease of a click of a mouse. There are sites that I wish were banned for giving a misguided direction but my only option is to stop "clicking around" those. So let me continue my Lent with using e-mail checks each morning and finishing up homework on the computer for only 2 hours.

God Bless those who are in control of their fasts as well.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 11:29:14 PM »

I don't fast from the internet during any fast periods but to those who wish to do so, see you soon.

For my part, please forgive me bretheren and sistren.  I know I have offended many especially in this past year. Rest assured that I am sincerely repentent for this and am praying for us all. May the next year of our lives be spent in a more peaceful way.

Anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 11:40:38 PM »

I'd thought about an internet fast but after giving up TV and radio, I feel the need to keep some contact with the outside world.  Maybe I'll ease into it as the fasting season unfolds. 

Forgive me too if there's anything I've done to offend you (and knowing me, I'm sure there's plenty I've done to offend some of you Smiley ). 

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 11:44:28 PM »

Dear in Christ,

I too am giving up the Internet completely and will be locking up my iBook in a few short hours. Since I have no TV I do hope that it will give me opportunity to pray more and daily do all of the Lenten Hours.

Also, this being Forgiveness Sunday I ask forgiveness to all my brothers and sisters in Christ for any thoughts or words that caused you harm, scandal or offense. Please forgive me a sinner.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: