OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 04:47:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infant communion in the Western Rite  (Read 1537 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2014, 02:40:54 PM »

On the other hand, I'd like to ask: is it fair to say that not giving communion to infants is a legitimate Western tradition? Or where do you all (anyone who cares to respond) stand on that?

I think the western church stumbled onto something valuable by postponing confirmation and first communion.  Nobody remembers anything from their infancy, but older children will always remember their first communion and confirmation.  Even some Protestant churches retained some form of confirmation, without considering it a sacrament.  Rites of passage are important.

Well, I think at least the eastern churches should maintain their/our tradition of giving infants all three sacraments together.

But having said that, I'm also inclined to think that -- if the Western tradition is ancient and legitimate, which it appears to be -- then why not maintain it as well? (This may be because I'm an LC-gone-Melkite. Smiley)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2014, 03:22:47 PM »

On the other hand, I'd like to ask: is it fair to say that not giving communion to infants is a legitimate Western tradition? Or where do you all (anyone who cares to respond) stand on that?

I think the western church stumbled onto something valuable by postponing confirmation and first communion.  Nobody remembers anything from their infancy, but older children will always remember their first communion and confirmation.  Even some Protestant churches retained some form of confirmation, without considering it a sacrament.  Rites of passage are important.

Well, I think at least the eastern churches should maintain their/our tradition of giving infants all three sacraments together.

But having said that, I'm also inclined to think that -- if the Western tradition is ancient and legitimate, which it appears to be -- then why not maintain it as well? (This may be because I'm an LC-gone-Melkite. Smiley)

Sure, there is room for legitimate diversity in this area.  The church's sacramental practices have varied a good deal from time to time and place to place.  There probably aren't many Catholics or Orthodox who would like to revive the practice of public confession.
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Moderated
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Ice cream for sale! 14 and under only, please!

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2014, 04:00:36 AM »

I am up for debate on it. I think it is good to do it in infancy but I also agree that if it is a Western tradition that goes back it is not wrong for Western Rite to wait until six or seven. There are a decent deal of people who do not want anything that is "Western" as if Orthodoxy is purely Eastern. Supposedly it was both east and west until the middle of the 11th century or thereabouts.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:00:57 AM by wainscottbl » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2014, 07:18:09 AM »

There are a decent deal of people who do not want anything that is "Western" as if Orthodoxy is purely Eastern.

Just MTCFWIW (my two cents for what its worth), I don't particularly mind Orthodox wanting WRO to be more Eastern ... if they don't then turn around and complain about the latinization of Greek Catholicism.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2014, 07:55:39 AM »

I am up for debate on it. I think it is good to do it in infancy but I also agree that if it is a Western tradition that goes back it is not wrong for Western Rite to wait until six or seven. There are a decent deal of people who do not want anything that is "Western" as if Orthodoxy is purely Eastern. Supposedly it was both east and west until the middle of the 11th century or thereabouts.
So the East doesn't commune infants?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2014, 07:59:36 AM »

PP

Of course it does!
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2014, 08:04:43 AM »

PP

Of course it does!
Oh good. I've actually never attended an Eastern Rite Liturgy, so I don't know the ins-and-outs. I did listen to one on youtube because I was curious.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2014, 01:02:33 PM »

I've actually never attended an Eastern Rite Liturgy

You're my favorite WRO.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print