OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 10:02:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Archdiocese of Chicago helped hide the sexual abuse....  (Read 204 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: January 21, 2014, 10:20:15 PM »

"Top leaders at the Archdiocese of Chicago helped hide the sexual abuse of children as they struggled to contain a growing crisis,.."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/21/priest-sex-abuse-in-chicago_n_4635040.html?utm_hp_ref=chicago
"After a 13-year-old boy reported in 1979 that a priest raped him and later threatened him at gunpoint to keep quiet, the Archdiocese of Chicago assured the boy's parents that although the cleric avoided prosecution, he would receive treatment and have no further contact with minors.

But the Rev. William Cloutier, who already had been accused of molesting other children, was returned to ministry a year later..."

Proverbs 22:7
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 10:24:35 PM »

At gunpoint? Wow.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 01:42:29 AM »

There are good and bad people everywhere.  I've known a lot of absolutely wonderful Orthodox Priests when I was a child.  It's sad when the small fraction of a percent of sickos do bad things, and the media focuses on that.  It gives a lot of ah-ha moments to push guilt by association.

You know, priests comfort widows who are weeping for the recently lost husband, and families who lost a child.... Not easy... those gut wrenching cries...  Where moments in life where there is nothing else left but God to turn to.  Of course it would be inappropriate for the media to be at such an event...

It amazes me though that most often I see priest's names in headlines when they sexually abuse children.  I believe it makes people believe that priests are "more likely to be molesters".   It's just wrong.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 02:12:38 AM »

There are good and bad people everywhere.  I've known a lot of absolutely wonderful Orthodox Priests when I was a child.

I know you have a large axe to grind with the Church, but this article was not about an Orthodox priest.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 02:16:48 AM »

There are good and bad people everywhere.  I've known a lot of absolutely wonderful Orthodox Priests when I was a child.

I know you have a large axe to grind with the Church, but this article was not about an Orthodox priest.

Yes I know, but it's in general I was speaking.   I believe stuff like this makes people paranoid of priests, ministers, pastors, etc.   - who generally do very good things for people.  The good things are often not reported.

From my childhood experience, I knew many wonderful men who were priests... Never stuff like this.

My axe is more like a hatchet unfortunately.  It's not everything, even though I know it appears that way.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:17:53 AM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 02:46:05 AM »

There are good and bad people everywhere.  I've known a lot of absolutely wonderful Orthodox Priests when I was a child.

Yes I know, but it's in general I was speaking.   I believe stuff like this makes people paranoid of priests, ministers, pastors, etc.   - who generally do very good things for people.  The good things are often not reported.

Understood.  I think the point of the story, however, was not to recount the rape by a priest, but to document gross criminal negligence on the part of the Chicago Archdiocese.  This goes beyond the bad apple in the barrel argument.

And whether we like the ultimate outcome of articles like this, it is the media's job to report things like this.  Hopefully it will help that organization sort its child-rape/molestation and cover-up problem. 

From my childhood experience, I knew many wonderful men who were priests... Never stuff like this.

And I'm sure you are grateful for that.  Far too many in these archdioceses did not have that experience.  And it was covered up and allowed to happen again.  This isn't meant as a knock on the RCC, but it's a terrible thing that happened.  In addition to causing horror for children and families, it has, as you mentioned, blackened the reputation of many good men serving in the priesthood and harmed countless people's faith.

My axe is more like a hatchet unfortunately.  It's not everything, even though I know it appears that way.

Noted.  I shall adjust the size of the shaping, splitting, and cutting instrument that I counted amongst your personal inventory.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 03:04:30 AM »

Understood.  I think the point of the story, however, was not to recount the rape by a priest, but to document gross criminal negligence on the part of the Chicago Archdiocese.  This goes beyond the bad apple in the barrel argument.

Exactly. Gross criminal conspiracy. That is my biggest beef. Maybe the members of the 107 different El-Bethel parishes in America are eating children. That would be terrible. But they can barely operate a phone much less conspire across state and national lines to do so.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:04:45 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 05:05:25 AM »

Understood.  I think the point of the story, however, was not to recount the rape by a priest, but to document gross criminal negligence on the part of the Chicago Archdiocese.  This goes beyond the bad apple in the barrel argument.

Exactly. Gross criminal conspiracy. That is my biggest beef. Maybe the members of the 107 different El-Bethel parishes in America are eating children. That would be terrible. But they can barely operate a phone much less conspire across state and national lines to do so.

My mistake.  It's gross criminal conspiracy not negligence, as I wrote.  You're also spot on about the silly "well technically, if you count all religious people in positions of authority, there is no statistical difference..." arguments.  Yes, there are sick, twisted people out there, but there's nothing comparable from an organizational standpoint.  And it's not just one bad apple archdiocese either, as we well know.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: