OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 09:33:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Closure", eh?  (Read 204 times) Average Rating: 0
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« on: January 21, 2014, 01:09:03 PM »

When it comes to evolution it has absolutely 0 evidence and a history of hoaxes, People here on this very forum must cling to a faith system that says we come from monkeys. That gives them closure. No more wondering where they came from. An earth worm man is going to dictate to them where they came from. These people will have faith and don't want to life a finger to see the other side of the argument.

Speak for yourself. Your theory on how/why people think about evolution seems to me to be an example of the kind of thinking you're decrying. You've rationalized away their arguments in an irrelevant tangent on motives with the evident motivation of not having to take seriously the criticism of your conspicuously weak arguments.

Look, I personally see little reason to participate in evolution/creationism discussions, and people like you are the reason. One of the hallmarks of doing science well is that you have to be prepared for refutation. You plainly are not: this nearly incoherent excuse for an argument shows it. I find it hard to take your claim to a university education seriously, for you don't seem to be able to sustain an argument even at the level of a high school sophomore. The supposed painting of Anne Bradstreet, for instance, seems to have been passed around without attribution from site to site, but to my educated eye it looks earlier and Dutch, and I cannot find any site which links it to her and names the painter or credits the collection which holds it. There's no reason to think it even represents New England fashion, much less that of the other colonies. Don't go on about our thinking when you are doing such a poor job of it yourself.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 01:12:55 PM »

"And our women, let's not forget those ladies, y'all! Looking to us for protection; from darkies, from Jews, from papists, and from all those smart-ass folks say we come descended from monkeys."

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 02:39:15 PM »

Oh Brother....

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »

Only on very rare, rare occasions do I agree with Keble. This is one of them.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 03:02:30 PM »

These people will have faith and don't want to life a finger to see the other side of the argument.

It's not so much lack of use of a finger that allows us closure but of that mysterious other appendage:

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
xOrthodox4Christx
OC.net guru

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

xOrthodox4Christx
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 03:05:03 PM »

Quote from: Cackle
People here on this very forum must cling to a faith system that says we come from monkeys. That gives them closure. No more wondering where they came from.

I'm fine if people criticize evolution, just don't criticize it with an even more ridiculous viewpoint, like creationism. It's not really closure, we cannot really go back all those billions of years the earth was young, we can only speculate with the evidence and experimentation we have.

Furthermore, evolution does not teach men came from monkeys. This is a myth that both opponents and proponents tend to spread. Evolution says that we branched off from a common ancestor that men and primates share.

It isn't monkeys------>>>men

It's Common Ancestor------>>>Monkeys and men

If you are going to criticize something at least criticize it properly, not a strawman you've constructed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:12:14 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

My posting on this forum is currently on hiatus, until mid-June 2014.

Have a nice spring. Smiley
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 03:07:13 PM »

I guess this is the other thread we can discuss evolution referred to in the thread asking for a poll or something about endorsing evolution.

Maybe I'll start some other threads now that there isn't just a one thread where everything is appended to.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 01:11:48 PM »

What Puzzles Me - I'm No Kin To The Monkey - Roland Zimmerman Family
http://youtu.be/nz56jyTMqM8

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print