Author Topic: The Unforgivable Sin {split from Alan Keyes' Daughter Thread]  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Nigula Qian Zishi

• Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
  • OC.net guru
  • 我美丽的妻子和我。
    • Orthodox Ecclesiology and The World
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
The Church's understanding is that there is no "worst sin" and that everything can be forgiven and that we are called to forgive.

Actually there is sin that cannot be fogiven. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is an unforgivable sin according to Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
在基督
尼古拉
前执事
的博客

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
The Unforgivable Sin {split from Alan Keyes' Daughter Thread]
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 11:35:11 AM »

Actually there is sin that cannot be fogiven. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is an unforgivable sin according to Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Fr. Nikolai,

What does "blaspheming the Holy Spirit" mean?  I've always been taught that it had to do with a despondency that made one feel that no sin he or she committed was forgiveable, and, hence, did not allow the Holy Spirit to work in one's life and forgive.  Basically, an unwillingness to turn to God because of a feeling that not even God Himself could fix things, which is so incredibly unthinkable and, hence, a blasphemy.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

• Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
  • OC.net guru
  • 我美丽的妻子和我。
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 11:38:05 AM »
Dear Schultz,

This despair and giving up all hope is indeed what many have taught this sin is. This line of thought somewhat ties in to the tradition that one who comitts suicide is not given a church funeral but rather only the graveside service.
在基督
尼古拉
前执事
的博客

• OC.net guru
  • 我美丽的妻子和我。
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 11:39:39 AM »
Perhaps the moderators could split this thread since we are no longer on-topic about Alan Keyes' lesbian daughter?
在基督
尼古拉
前执事
的博客

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 11:48:06 AM »
Fr. Nikolai,

Thanks. So would it be possible, then, to say that the Church teaches that no sin can be unforgiven so long as one turns to God for that forgiveness?
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline Rho

• Running from dead works to Christ.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 12:53:23 PM »
The real question is:  Does anyone who commits blasphemy against the Holy Spirit turn to God for forgiveness?
Clearly not - God is a forgiving God.  That is why it is unforgivable - one who does it does not turn.
"I have taken my good deeds and my bad deeds and thrown them together in a heap. Then I have fled from both of them to Christ, and in Him I have peace." --David Dickson

Matthew 9:13 - Who is the sinner if not I?

Offline Donna Rose

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 01:55:25 PM »
The real question is:  Does anyone who commits blasphemy against the Holy Spirit turn to God for forgiveness?
Clearly not - God is a forgiving God.  That is why it is unforgivable - one who does it does not turn.

wow. this makes perfect sense. thanx for your reasoning, Rho :)
hmmmm...

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 02:01:20 PM »
Yes, thanks, Rho.  That's exactly what I was thinking.

Offline tweety234

• High Elder
Re: The Unforgivable Sin {split from Alan Keyes' Daughter Thread]
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 11:32:27 PM »
why exactly do they not turn then? is it because they know that he will not forgive them? Or is it because they have lost all hope in him.? Please explain.
“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi