OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 27, 2014, 11:08:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About receiving the Lord  (Read 944 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"The grace of God has appeared..."

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2014, 05:44:04 PM »

Well this individual appears to have some irrational fear of germs, but it could be that individuals like this have a canonical impediment to receiving communion. Ultimately, it shouldn't be any one else's business.

My suggestion to him: try receiving the kinonia on occasions other than the DL or when there is no one else to receive kinonia at the DL.

What a bizarre recommendation.  All it does is create unnecessary work and hardship for the priest without ever getting to the root of the individual's problem.  

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2014, 05:45:46 PM »

Some teacher of the faith somewhere states that a faithful who spurns the holy gifts excommunicates himself.   But I'm really lacking on the specifics there.  Anyone?   

The teaching is correct, obviously, but the description is not enough for me to place it.  Maybe someone else knows. 

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2014, 05:46:56 PM »

I have a simple question:

WHAT HAPPENS IF a baptized Orthodox Christian who fasts and prays often, attends the DL every week and on feasts, and confesses his sins often never receives kinonia?

Why does he do all of this and refrain from receiving Communion? 

He's Greek

LOL!

LOL seconded!

Your story of your first Eucharist in a Cathedral (IIRC) came to mind.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »

I know someone just like that. He has a theory that the communicant should not be called the "servant of God" but the "friend of God" and for this reason the way communion is given is doctrinally incorrect.

He also believes that he was secretly and miraculously made a priest after seeing a vision of the Cross and has been known to give people blessings when the real priests aren't looking. He also wears a monastic skoufa (along with a dark suit and turtle neck) and never eats meat.

Are we talking about the same person?

Is he GOC or in another "True Orthodox" group?

Does it matter?

Yes, because people of the bent who are willing to (Mods what word am I allowed to use? The stated rules no longer seem expansive enough given recent moderatorial action) over something a silly as "ecumenism" or a calendar, will likely find something "wrong" wherever they go and keep trying to find that first real church of the genuine Orthodox.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
mike
Moderated
Stratopedarches

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2014, 05:51:38 PM »

Well, yeah, but someone with more authority than you or me said it.  That's what I'd like to know. 

Well... If you don't take Communion, you don't take Communion.
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »

I know someone just like that. He has a theory that the communicant should not be called the "servant of God" but the "friend of God" and for this reason the way communion is given is doctrinally incorrect.

He also believes that he was secretly and miraculously made a priest after seeing a vision of the Cross and has been known to give people blessings when the real priests aren't looking. He also wears a monastic skoufa (along with a dark suit and turtle neck) and never eats meat.

Does it matter?

well, if I were a better I would bet money on it.  From my experience, such delusion seems epidemic in such groups.
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »

Well this individual appears to have some irrational fear of germs, but it could be that individuals like this have a canonical impediment to receiving communion. Ultimately, it shouldn't be any one else's business.

My suggestion to him: try receiving the kinonia on occasions other than the DL or when there is no one else to receive kinonia at the DL.

What a bizarre recommendation.  All it does is create unnecessary work and hardship for the priest without ever getting to the root of the individual's problem.  

better than never receiving kinonia.

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2014, 06:21:01 PM »

Isn't kinonia "economy"? I never heard of the body and blood of Christ as "economy".  He receives Jesus, or Yeshua if you want to maintain some sort of linguistic preference.  He receives Yeshua, not kinonia.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 06:22:53 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2014, 06:40:10 PM »

Isn't kinonia "economy"? I never heard of the body and blood of Christ as "economy".  He receives Jesus, or Yeshua if you want to maintain some sort of linguistic preference.  He receives Yeshua, not kinonia.

kinonia means communion meal = Lord's supper = Yeshua

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2014, 07:10:43 PM »

better than never receiving kinonia.

But the only thing preventing him from receiving Communion is himself. 

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2014, 07:15:13 PM »

kinonia means communion meal = Lord's supper = Yeshua

My mistake...

Next question...why mix Greek with Hebrew?

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2014, 07:22:39 PM »

ABA: Anything But Allah

Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2014, 07:23:32 PM »

xD That sounds like an evangelical slogan!

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2014, 07:25:58 PM »

You can create an appropriate line of merchandise, but I want a cut of the profits. 

Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2014, 07:28:38 PM »

You can create an appropriate line of merchandise, but I want a cut of the profits. 

We could seriously do this, and people would buy it xD Until our priests find out, but it'd be fun while it lasted.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
mike
Moderated
Stratopedarches

« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2014, 07:45:04 PM »

АББА
Аб’яднанне Бацькоў Беларускасцю Апантаных
Association of Parents Possessed with Belarusianess

Sorry, it's taken.
Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2014, 08:03:26 PM »

АББА
Аб’яднанне Бацькоў Беларускасцю Апантаных
Association of Parents Possessed with Belarusianess

Sorry, it's taken.

But I didn't stutter. 

Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »

Does it matter?

well, if I were a better I would bet money on it.  From my experience, such delusion seems epidemic in such groups.

What if he were a member of your jurisdiction? What conclusions would you draw from it?
Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2014, 10:09:11 PM »

Does it matter?

Yes, because people of the bent who are willing to (Mods what word am I allowed to use? The stated rules no longer seem expansive enough given recent moderatorial action) over something a silly as "ecumenism" or a calendar, will likely find something "wrong" wherever they go and keep trying to find that first real church of the genuine Orthodox.

Except that if he were, say, in the OCA, hacks like jah777 would dismiss his example as unrepresentative. Somehow freaks and weirdos only count for something if they show up your opposition.
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2014, 10:35:30 PM »

Does it matter?

Except that if he were, say, in the OCA, hacks like jah777 would dismiss his example as unrepresentative. Somehow freaks and weirdos only count for something if they show up your opposition.

I can tell by your response that my assumption is probably correct.  I only have seen such severe examples of delusion in various "True Orthodox" groups, and this is easily understandable if one considers the kind of thinking and the particular passions that lead many to join such groups.  Such examples may very well exist in the Orthodox Church as well, I just haven't observed this phenomenon there as I have seen it among the groups that have broken away for one reason or another.
minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2014, 01:21:06 AM »

In anticipation that this is going to turn into an ugly debate about Traditionalist vs. Canonical Orthodoxy, I want to remind you all to stay on topic please.  If you like, start a new thread.

Thank you!

Mina

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2014, 02:12:52 AM »

I have a simple question:

WHAT HAPPENS IF a baptized Orthodox Christian who fasts and prays often, attends the DL every week and on feasts, and confesses his sins often never receives kinonia?

Why does he do all of this and refrain from receiving Communion? 

because he does not like the way the communion is served in the Orthodox Church.

What about it does he not like?

that everyone takes kinonia from the same spoon

If its about germs, he should just be up front, and plow over anybody who gets in his way!

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
mike
Moderated
Stratopedarches

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2014, 06:53:43 AM »

If its about germs, he should just be up front, and plow over anybody who gets in his way!

Even before the priest? That would be hard.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2014, 08:29:17 AM »

Even before the priest? That would be hard.

First person to the spoon wins.

mike
Moderated
Stratopedarches

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2014, 08:40:45 AM »

Well, priests drink directly from the cup. Cannot get before that.
Tags: Lord's supper  eucharist  kinonia  sacrament 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: