OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 05:36:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did your absentee father make you an atheist?  (Read 719 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 16, 2014, 07:11:22 PM »

(RNS) A once-popular book that links atheism with shoddy fathering is getting a second life with a new publisher, thanks, in part, to the rise of nonbelief in the United States.
Vitz said he wanted to revise the book not only to include the New Atheists, whose family relationships he scrutinizes (Dawkins was sexually molested by a clergyman, a subject he has discussed before), but also because there was new research about atheists and attachment theory (generally, they didn’t get much of it) and atheists and autism (many autistic people are also atheists, the book claims).

As he did in the first edition, Vitz makes an important point — the book does not try to prove or disprove the existence of God. Rather, its goal is to examine some of the “irrational” underlying reasons some people become atheists.

“I am certainly not predicting that every atheist is the result of one hypothesis, much less mine,” he said. “I am just saying there is a tendency for more things to go together than you’d expect normally,” like atheism and a poor relationship with one’s father.
Vitz, a Catholic who identified as an atheist in his youth, acknowledges there are exceptions to his theory. He identifies a big one in his book — Sam Harris, a New Atheist who hit the best-seller list with “The End of Faith,” has an apparently healthy relationship with his father, too.

“The best answer I have to explain that is I don’t know,” he said. “I haven’t studied them (the exceptions) enough.”
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:29:18 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 07:18:40 PM »

Rest assured, if someone has something dumb to say about religion, Jetavan will share it with us.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:03:39 PM »

Rest assured, if someone has something dumb to say about religion, Jetavan will share it with us.

Jetavan is the greatest biological RSS aggregator.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:28:08 PM »

Although he qualified his finding by saying, “I am certainly not predicting that every atheist is the result of one hypothesis, much less mine,”, I think there's a lot to it.  I had a great friend who passed away last year that was a counselor at his church (A of G).  He said over half of the young adults he invited to come to church had poor to horrible relationships with their fathers.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 10:32:37 PM »

Although he qualified his finding by saying, “I am certainly not predicting that every atheist is the result of one hypothesis, much less mine,”, I think there's a lot to it.  I had a great friend who passed away last year that was a counselor at his church (A of G).  He said over half of the young adults he invited to come to church had poor to horrible relationships with their fathers.

So Freud was right? Fantastic.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:32:41 PM »

Although he qualified his finding by saying, “I am certainly not predicting that every atheist is the result of one hypothesis, much less mine,”, I think there's a lot to it.  I had a great friend who passed away last year that was a counselor at his church (A of G).  He said over half of the young adults he invited to come to church had poor to horrible relationships with their fathers.
This probably stretches beyond belief in God. I  would suspect that people with good relations with their parents (or other early-life figures) would tend to have a slightly greater 'trust' or 'faith' in the universe or life itself.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:33:18 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 10:34:25 PM »

This probably stretches beyond belief in God. I  would suspect that people with good relations with their parents (or other early-life figures) would have a greater 'trust' or 'faith' in the universe or life itself.

And thus likely be less intelligent. Confusing and disordered systems you cannot trust cause you to have to be more sophisticated in your system building faculty to make sense of them. Simple worlds beget simple minds.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 10:49:46 PM »

Although he qualified his finding by saying, “I am certainly not predicting that every atheist is the result of one hypothesis, much less mine,”, I think there's a lot to it.  I had a great friend who passed away last year that was a counselor at his church (A of G).  He said over half of the young adults he invited to come to church had poor to horrible relationships with their fathers.
This probably stretches beyond belief in God. I  would suspect that people with good relations with their parents (or other early-life figures) would have a greater 'trust' or 'faith' in the universe or life itself.

And thus likely be less intelligent. Confusing and disordered systems you cannot trust cause you to have to be more sophisticated in your system building faculty to make sense of them. Simple worlds beget simple minds.
True, but there probably is a point of parental figure-affection deprivation that is significantly detrimental to intellectual development.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:50:30 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Valekhai

Faith: atheist

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 12:31:52 AM »

Looking for a silver lining, at least this might freshen up the conversations I have to dispel assumptions about me. The "you just want to sin" and "you must have had a bad experience in the church" discussions are getting old.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 05:04:46 PM »

Everyone knows that atheism (especially the libtard militant sort like atheism+) comes from higher concentrations of fecal matter in drinking water.  It's like a modern version of dysentery really.  Except you spew poo from your mouth instead of your poospewer.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 10:56:39 AM »

Everyone knows that atheism (especially the libtard militant sort like atheism+) comes from higher concentrations of fecal matter in drinking water.  It's like a modern version of dysentery really.  Except you spew poo from your mouth instead of your poospewer.
Interesting concept.

But I'm sure you can apply this same theory to the majority of theists as well.

So in the end, I think it's a wash. Wink

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Cackles
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (Canada)

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 08:37:26 AM »

Looking for a silver lining, at least this might freshen up the conversations I have to dispel assumptions about me. The "you just want to sin" and "you must have had a bad experience in the church" discussions are getting old.

Then why are you on a 'mission' here on this forum and feel that you need to be understood? What do you gain out of trying to break people from their faith?

(Your answer will prove that you're really part of another faith, but even you dont know it because you've lost control of yourself)

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
Cackles
Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 08:51:35 AM »

The above post looks like a typical post feom someone woth Apergers or high functioning autism.

The result of Autism is actually self idoltry. Especially Aspegers syndrome. They dont realize it, but they make everyone else feel that the world revolves around them.

They either heavily idolterate themselves into believing that religion is dumb, or they take it to another extreme and become that bossy, annoying guy in the church which creates a new forum of idoltery. Whatever the issue they are aleays right and you are wrong and they heywill pull out the big words and high powered names to prove themselves right. Autistics are not copable to comprehend abstract thoughts of fath. They pretty much see people as animals and dont know how to relate to them.

Something simple like faith actually confuses them. They seriously dont understand it. And

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 10:12:14 AM »

The above post looks like a typical post feom someone woth Apergers or high functioning autism.

The result of Autism is actually self idoltry. Especially Aspegers syndrome. They dont realize it, but they make everyone else feel that the world revolves around them.

They either heavily idolterate themselves into believing that religion is dumb, or they take it to another extreme and become that bossy, annoying guy in the church which creates a new forum of idoltery. Whatever the issue they are aleays right and you are wrong and they heywill pull out the big words and high powered names to prove themselves right. Autistics are not copable to comprehend abstract thoughts of fath. They pretty much see people as animals and dont know how to relate to them.

Something simple like faith actually confuses them. They seriously dont understand it. And

I really hope you are joke. But even if it's a joke, your statement is disgusting. Labeling all people with a specific disability as idolators is not at all acceptable.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 10:14:16 AM »

Are you saying Adam and Eve were autistic?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 11:07:17 AM »

Indeed?  And how does your analysis apply to small children who have a disability that is somewhere in the Autism Spectrum?  On what are you basing your idea, please?   How are you qualified to make such a flat claim on a medical condition that has some genetic components?  

I know people who have been diagnosed as having some form of Autism/Asperger.  I am aware of persons in the Spectrum, such as having Asperger Syndrome, who are Christian.  What experience have you had with any real Human Beings who have any form of this disability, may I ask?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:07:34 AM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Valekhai

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 11:55:14 AM »

Then why are you on a 'mission' here on this forum and feel that you need to be understood? What do you gain out of trying to break people from their faith?

(Your answer will prove that you're really part of another faith, but even you dont know it because you've lost control of yourself)

What "mission" is it that you think that I think that I'm on here? Why do you think that I want to "break people from their faith?" Feel free to peruse my post history; if you see anything where you think that I have done this, I will either apologize and take it back or I will explain how it wasn't an attempt to do that and what I actually meant by it.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 04:22:21 PM »

[ediuted]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:23:03 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Cackles
Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 03:18:12 AM »

I really hope you are joke. But even if it's a joke, your statement is disgusting. Labeling all people with a specific disability as idolators is not at all acceptable.

I'm speaking of *high functioning* autism and Aspergers. Please don't confuse this with 'severe' autism which of course I would never do.

My opinions are based on my own research:

According to Grandin, animals do not have "complex emotions such as shame or guilt" and they do not think in language. She says that, although not everything about animals is like a person with autism, the similarity is that they think visually and without language. She says people do not make this connection because the study of autism and the study of animal behavior are parallel disciplines involving different individuals.[51].
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociological_and_cultural_aspects_of_autism#Relationships_with_animals]

There is *tons* literature on autism and animals. The whole point of high functioning autism/aspergers is they don't relate to people well.

These people are not 'disabled'. They a peoples who are in *EXTREMELY LARGE ABUNDANCE* all over the internet forums, Youtube, academia and governmet.

They are often 'searching' continually because they are trying to make sense of the world they live in. They can only take on 'black and white', 'all or nothing' concepts and have trouble with shades of grey (core faith is based on shades of grey). Autistics don't like stories that don't end. They need to close the 'open circuit' to ensure they 'understand' something. When they are involved in religion, they often Biblical literal'ists and will use scriptural literal'ism to support whatever viewpoint makes sense to them.

Department of Neurology, Boston University School of Medicine: Persons with autistic spectrum disorder were much more likely than those in our neurotypical comparison group to identify as atheist or agnostic http://csjarchive.cogsci.rpi.edu/proceedings/2011/papers/0782/paper0782.pdf

Often what is defined as 'logical' and 'smart' are often over simplistic worldviews that a child can understand. Any child may watch National Geographic and notice that certain people may look like Apes. When he grows older he has doubt and it doesn't make sense because he understands the complexities of life. Autism will keep you with that mind (so to speak) and your gifted academic abilities will allow you to talk circles around people to fool them.

Darwin sails to south america and has a fascination with worms (Autistics tend to have extreme pre-occupations with certain topics and animals. They often love insects, turtles, dinosaurs reptiles for some reason). Darwin was angry at the birds for eating the worms.  So he starts to kill the birds. When he collects the dead birds he notices the beaks on them are different. He then starts to draw pictures of them and measure their beak length. Then he finds what his mind can't understand: who we are, where we come from, and where we are going (religion).

Don't believe me? The Autism site on the net is called 'wrongplannet'. This is implied because Autistics feel like they live on another planet that is foreign to their own. Unfortunetly, they must try to shape the planet around to fit them. They are also 'justice' oriented. These two things are not a good mixture in our current society where academic achievement literally dictates your lot in life. These people are now in high places of 'influence' and authority while normal people are being made to look stupid.

Here is a cartoon show (Arthur) where they have an episode to spread awareness of Aspergers and explain it as being on another planet. You'll know the character as soon as you see him. If you're confused about ASD, or the 'different' people all over the internet/academia/and your city council, you need to see this cartoon as it will explain a lot of who these people are.  Notice the part about the missing puzzle piece - it's very symbolic:

One more thing, 'all or nothing' thinking and 'needing to know' the future/unforeseen is also a symptom of depression/dysthimia. If you have this, you will tend associate more with Autistics because they 'speak your language' and satisfy your 'overly dramatic' thought processes. To Autistcs it's just a normal way of life that they embrace. Most of them feel like to have ASD and find themselves gifted compared to everyone else. They feel everyone else is in the wrong.

The big question is, do they go to heaven? From what I understand is yes they do because they don't have the capability to really understand faith. God does this for a reason, but I won't bore you with Jewish wisdom Smiley

It's only *recently* in our times where we have put these people 'in charge' so to speak and allowed them to dictate policy and morals. They are a large part of academia. A *LARGE* part.

Simon Baron-Cohen, who proposed the mindblindness theory of autism, told me that “sometimes I meet people with autism who are religious, but their motivation is driven more by the rules (the system) in theology rather than the anthropomorphizing.”

This is why when I speak of faith, I lose many people with Autism (which like *ALL* internet forums, there is likely a large amount here). They simply don't 'get it' or can't grasp the bigger picture of what I'm trying to say.

Bethany Heywood, in collaboration with Jesse Bering, found in her Ph.D. research that even atheists tend to say that certain things happened to them “for a reason,” e.g., to teach them a lesson. But subjects with Asperger’s gave significantly fewer teleological responses than a control group did, and several even expressed confusion regarding the questions about purpose.

Autism is about an 'overall confusion' of things that many people don't even think. An autistic will tell you the A, B, C's of why you like music. It will be overly simplistic and have tons of errors. But it will be a simple open and shut explanation. Neurotical people will (usually with lower IQ's than the said autistic) will shrug their shoulder and say 'makes sense' and take on someone elses belief of why we like music rather than 'God created us to like music' which is the correct answer (because music is a unique part of our brain that separates us from animals). In the past the autistic used to prove 'why it was true' that God gave us music. However, in modern times, the autistic is claiming that he knows absolute truth because he has tax funded credentials and tax funded backing to play children games of 'dress up' and play the god role himself. Usually the dress up game of god involves a white lab coat and a beard. So there's a huge difference in modern times, and years of past.

That’s where the new paper comes in. Ara Norenzayan and Will Gervais of the University of British Columbia and Kali Trzesniewski of UC Davis report on four studies. The first study replicates the finding of the BU research: 12 autistic and 13 neurotypical adolescents took part, and the neurotypical subjects were ten times as likely to strongly endorse God.

When I speak, I'm not talking out of a sewer. I have spent years researching this stuff.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:39:48 AM by Cackles » Logged

Cackles
Elder

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 03:44:07 AM »

Are you saying Adam and Eve were autistic?
[/quote]

No you said that not me.

Cackles
Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 04:47:37 AM »

What "mission" is it that you think that I think that I'm on here? Why do you think that I want to "break people from their faith?" Feel free to peruse my post history; if you see anything where you think that I have done this, I will either apologize and take it back or I will explain how it wasn't an attempt to do that and what I actually meant by it.

Well this is a religious site, and you came here not believing in our religion or God.

You have a Budists/Hndu idol name as your name.

You have what looks to be a Satanic pentagram as your picture.

The above alone suggests that you are here on a mission. You're mission can be a good one or bad one. Have you got caught up with the wrong crowd on the Internet (and especially Youtube?).

Are you aware that right now you're not yourself? Your searching for answers that you'll never find in any of these philosophies. They lead to cults and depression. They lead to more answers than questions. There is no one that can give you the secrets of life. You have to be comfortable with not knowing the future or trying to figure everything out.

They are already working on re-defining 'cult' where there is not one single leader, because the new cults are online and have many leaders.

The more you involve yourself with these Idols and philosphies of 'truth', the more cloudy your mind gets and the more you start to lose the person you used to be when you were younger. Then your thinking changes to where you become a totally different person. Then you stat to do work in order to break down the people who are like you that you *used* to be a long time ago.

This is what many mean when they say you are being 'possessed' by a demon. It sounds dramatic but it's technically true. It could be that you are here because you are reaching 'that phase' where you are 'working' for someone else instead of being your natural self like old times.

They all do the same - the promise you answers to life. Promise that we're the enemy. Promise that through their science and proof they can give you salvation. Then they end up making the 'outside world' be the enemy. They try to go into your childhood and no matter how good it was, you'll only focus on the bad. They will say your current confusion and searching is due to your childhood. Then they'll tell you what you need to do in order to be safe (buy guns, buy gold, practice yoga, follow philosophers).

The more you follow them, the more you start to get cursed and start to go down a road that leads to darkness. The more you walk down that road, the more further away you get from God. Then you being to think you youself is a God and can find the path in your darkness.

Then the panic attacks, anxiety, depression, strange dreams, cold sweats at night begin to set in and you start to lose yourself slowly but surely. You seek answers in all the wrong places around the net.

But coming here on this forum, you seeked out the RIGHT place.

So the question is, are you going to make your mission working for 'some other person' who isn't yourself, or are you going to make your mission about returning to the person you used to be before you got caught up in all these scam artists. We want you back to becoming yourself again and to stay away from the people your paying attention to. You are one of us at heart - not them.

Here's some videos to start with if you want to get better. You need to understand what cults are and see if your caught up in the wrong crowd because cults are *not* only religious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqgO86GEN0c&t=1m9s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjwvjKt0iHc - (old but basics are still the same. Must watch)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_NmDr5Noq8 (gear it towards your current situation)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq9TX-5cGY8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvEasRAfMZk

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 04:59:35 AM by Cackles » Logged

Valekhai

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 10:29:22 AM »

Well this is a religious site, and you came here not believing in our religion or God.
I originally signed up here to ask a question. Since then, I've stopped in on a few discussions, particularly where I thought that atheists or nonbelievers in general were being misunderstood or misrepresented.

I have an interest in religion in general that waxes and wanes depending on my mood, and I do spend a lot of time on various religious forums, mostly as a lurker. I post on them rarely if at all, and I try to be respectful when I do. I don't like to engage in debates or argue for any of my positions unless I'm doing so in an area that is specifically designated for such a thing.

You have a Budists/Hndu idol name as your name.
If this is true, I've never seen evidence of it, and believe me, I've looked. As far as I know, I made that word up. I used to think that it was just a nonsense word I made up after reading too much Tolkien, but then I remembered that there is a Cirque du Soleil show called Varekai, and I think that I made up this username shortly after watching some PBS special about Cirque many years ago, so that probably had more to do with it than Tolkien.

In any case, I first used that as a screen name long before I became and atheist, and as far as I know, it doesn't mean anything.

You have what looks to be a Satanic pentagram as your picture.
Um, pentagrams have five points, so I'm not sure where you're getting that.

That's actually my username, with two extra lines added for symmetry. I have seen a similar symbol being used by Quakers, and you could almost say that it has a passing resemblance to a symbol that appears behind Jesus in some icons of the transfiguration. If there are any other potential religious meanings behind that symbol, I haven't found them, and I hadn't noticed any of them until after I had made it. I can change it if it makes you uncomfortable.

Hopefully that clears up those three things. Does that change your view of what my "mission" here might be?
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 02:18:19 PM »

(Autistics tend to have extreme pre-occupations with certain topics and animals. They often love insects, turtles, dinosaurs reptiles for some reason).
No comment.
Darwin was angry at the birds for eating the worms.  So he starts to kill the birds.
Source for this claim?
They are also 'justice' oriented.
So the Hebrew prophets were autistic?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 02:58:44 PM »

I'm speaking of *high functioning* autism and Aspergers. Please don't confuse this with 'severe' autism which of course I would never do.

My opinions are based on my own research:

According to Grandin, animals do not have "complex emotions such as shame or guilt" and they do not think in language. She says that, although not everything about animals is like a person with autism, the similarity is that they think visually and without language. She says people do not make this connection because the study of autism and the study of animal behavior are parallel disciplines involving different individuals.[51].
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociological_and_cultural_aspects_of_autism#Relationships_with_animals]

There is *tons* literature on autism and animals. The whole point of high functioning autism/aspergers is they don't relate to people well.

What does this passage from Dr. Grandin have to do with your premise as to persons with autism being engaged in "self-idolatry", please?

These people are not 'disabled'. They a peoples who are in *EXTREMELY LARGE ABUNDANCE* all over the internet forums, Youtube, academia and governmet.

What is your definition of "disabled" please? Why should others accept your personal opinion on this?  There are large populations of people with various disabilities such deafness, blindness, spinal injuries, developmental disabilities and others and many people with a disability can be found on-line/using computers.  (As a side note: one unforeseen and wonderful use for tablets such as Ipads has been to help people with disabilities, including Autism, to communicate).

How do you know that there is an "extremely large abundance" please?  Where are you getting your numbers?  And who are you to diagnose human beings whom you do not know?  Do you have credentials in medicine/neurology?

Here is a cartoon show (Arthur) where they have an episode to spread awareness of Aspergers and explain it as being on another planet. You'll know the character as soon as you see him. If you're confused about ASD, or the 'different' people all over the internet/academia/and your city council, you need to see this cartoon as it will explain a lot of who these people are.  Notice the part about the missing puzzle piece - it's very symbolic:

I know of Arthur and this episode. I also know young people who have conditions in the Autism Spectrum.  How do you interpret the "symbol"?

It's only *recently* in our times where we have put these people 'in charge' so to speak and allowed them to dictate policy and morals. They are a large part of academia. A *LARGE* part.

Who do you have in mind for Autistic/Asperger's persons who are "in charge"?  The condition was only fairly recently described and named (1908 for the word "Autism"  1943 for a description of symptoms/traits http://www.english.certec.lth.se/autism/kunskap_e.html )

I have spent years researching this stuff.

You have provided a few quotes.  But there is much in your post that appears to be your own assertions without support, meaning no disrespect.  Why should we accept your "diagnosis" of other people whom, one presumes, you do not know.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:11:20 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 03:00:33 PM »

My dad's absent time, which has been since early childhood, did quite the opposite. I found my Father while trying to fill the void of my biological father.

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »

My dad's absent time, which has been since early childhood, did quite the opposite. I found my Father while trying to fill the void of my biological father.

So Freud is right no matter what.

Cackles
Elder

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 04:40:53 PM »

(Autistics tend to have extreme pre-occupations with certain topics and animals. They often love insects, turtles, dinosaurs reptiles for some reason).
No comment.
Darwin was angry at the birds for eating the worms.  So he starts to kill the birds.
Source for this claim?

Lol! Not only is above true but its in the medical litterature and an official symptom. When im not on the iPad I'll post the links.

As far as Darwin lol.. Sorry to burst your bubble but he played around with eathworms for 40 YEARS and it was his primary fascination. This is a blatent sign of autism.

He then killed birds because they were eating his 'little friends' and he noticed those which migrated north had longer beaks. He then drew pictures of them making child like arguments in the guise of intillectualism. The book then goes on to consider negros a lesser evolved species of human. The printing press was new at that time and the idea kinda confirmed what a lot of us thought as kids anyway.

The book was litterally picture drawings and a fable. He claimed that there were no fossils to test the theory (so basically no science is involved).

Did you know we spent millions of tax dollars and have dug up 200 million fossils since then only to find NOTHING that backs his new religion? NOTHING. Yet people STILL believe in it despite there being NO EVIDENCE? Even the church and some Bishops. Why? Simple. Idoltry.

And did you know, Darwin studied theology and went to school to be a priest? It didnt make sense to him so he had to create his own I guess. I personally believe he was an autistic who was at the right place at the right time. His false religion led to modern secular humanism and the wars of the past century. It also led to communism and the treatment of people as animals.

Cackles
Elder

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 05:00:07 PM »

Quote from: Ebor link=topic=56081.msg1066759#msg1066759

You have provided a few quotes.  But there is much in your post that appears to be your own assertions without support, meaning no disrespect.  Why should we accept your "diagnosis" of other people whom, one presumes, you do not know.

I provided links of real studies on the topic matter at hand which you simply bypassed.

Your self idoltry is putting these facts aside, and simply ignoring them because they dont agree with your pre-conceived notion.

The easiest way to describe autism is this: "they are not able to see another persons point of view".

If you ONLY see your own point of view, then you are your own idol. This is just normal, factual things about autism.

Autistics are more likely to get into cults also. Jody Arias talks about her fascination and empathy towards animals and got heavily involved in the mormon cult as well MLM schemes. She got caught up in The Secret new age movement too. For her it was normal. A regular person getting caught up in that stuff would cause them serious issues.

The internet and youtube is FILLED with autism. Simply FILLED with it.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 06:18:58 PM »

Cackles, are you actually a doctor or something? What makes you qualified to decide this about people?  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 06:20:15 PM »

No comment.
Source for this claim?

Lol! Not only is above true but its in the medical litterature and an official symptom. When im not on the iPad I'll post the links.

As far as Darwin lol.. Sorry to burst your bubble but he played around with eathworms for 40 YEARS and it was his primary fascination. This is a blatent sign of autism.

He then killed birds because they were eating his 'little friends' and he noticed those which migrated north had longer beaks. He then drew pictures of them making child like arguments in the guise of intillectualism. The book then goes on to consider negros a lesser evolved species of human. The printing press was new at that time and the idea kinda confirmed what a lot of us thought as kids anyway.

The book was litterally picture drawings and a fable. He claimed that there were no fossils to test the theory (so basically no science is involved).

Did you know we spent millions of tax dollars and have dug up 200 million fossils since then only to find NOTHING that backs his new religion? NOTHING. Yet people STILL believe in it despite there being NO EVIDENCE? Even the church and some Bishops. Why? Simple. Idoltry.

And did you know, Darwin studied theology and went to school to be a priest? It didnt make sense to him so he had to create his own I guess. I personally believe he was an autistic who was at the right place at the right time. His false religion led to modern secular humanism and the wars of the past century. It also led to communism and the treatment of people as animals.

Are you joking? If so, please go back to open mike nite at the local club. Your routine needs work.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 07:12:59 PM »

Quote from: Ebor link=topic=56081.msg1066759#msg1066759

I provided links of real studies on the topic matter at hand which you simply bypassed.

I did not.  Why would you assume that I had because I question your ideas?  I have the five page scientific paper open in a browser window, even as I am typing now and I know how to read such works.  I have also gone back to check for any other links in in the post which I quoted as well as your reply to Valekhai.  I have found one to a Wikipedia page, one to the episode of Arthur, several to YouTube videos with four on cults and one on "Thought Reform".  You have also put up three quotes without citations to their sources.  Are there any "links to real studies" that I missed?  Please point them out and I will open them as well.  I do check sources, and

Your self idoltry is putting these facts aside, and simply ignoring them because they dont agree with your pre-conceived notion.

I am not ignoring them.  I disagree with your personal opinions that you apparently have drawn from them and there is a difference between a peer-reviewed study from a reputable institution (Boston U.), a single episode of a children's program (which to repeat I am quite familiar with as well as the books from which it is drawn) and some YouTube videos from an as-yet-unknown-as-to-reliability source.  Why would you assume that if someone disagrees with you that the other person is "ignoring facts"?

The easiest way to describe autism is this: "they are not able to see another persons point of view".

You say that.  It is your opinion and not applicable in any medical sense.

If you ONLY see your own point of view, then you are your own idol. This is just normal, factual things about autism.

That is an assertion that you are personally making. That does not make it a "fact". 

Do you know anyone with Autism or Asperger Syndrome?

Autistics are more likely to get into cults also. Jody Arias talks about her fascination and empathy towards animals and got heavily involved in the mormon cult as well MLM schemes. She got caught up in The Secret new age movement too. For her it was normal. A regular person getting caught up in that stuff would cause them serious issues.

Huh   Do you mean Jodi Arias?  The woman found guilty of the first degree murder of Travis Alexander in Arizona?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Travis_Alexander

I have found no reference to her being diagnosed as Autistic.  Some have suggested Borderline Personality Disorder or that she is a Sociopath 
 http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/reading-between-the-headlines/201303/does-jodi-arias-have-borderline-personality-disorder
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/reading-between-the-headlines/201303/is-jodi-arias-sociopath

Cackles
Elder

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 07:24:25 PM »

No comment.
Source for this claim?

Are you joking? If so, please go back to open mike nite at the local club. Your routine needs work.

No im not joking.

Everything I've said is true and I was also also amazed that my education sustem let me down.

When i was a kid I was told that babies in the womb were tadpoles like frogs. I was told we used to have tails. I was told that science was irrifutable fact. I was told we came from monkeys.

Later in College i was told the value of survival of the fittest. If someone dies because they didnt wear a seatbelt, then good! Because it will cleans humanity of people with a lesser intelligence. If abortion is practiced then good, because it will keep the black species from getting out of control.

If the sick need help, then let them die, because its their fault they're sick and I should not bare the burden.

And finally, if my professor gets his research grants cut, then DAMN THOSE political people who vote via religion. Its those religious people who believe in fantasies that are stopping our human progress. Lets get rid of them. After all, I need to fly out to the Bahamas so I can play around with rocks on the beach for the breater good of humanity. the odassity that my wives expenses arent covered anymore! We need to get those religious people. When. I retire at 48, Ill write books and dedicate my life to attacking them while I sit on barious tax funded boards and get money for nothing through my retirement. We must protect the englightened people of the world and stop the spread of this infection.. This God religion stuff.

Btw: me saying the internet is filled with autistics is something I made up entirely. My own conclusion based off a hunch. The rest of almost anything I say is credible if you care to search. Ive spent years researching this stuff.

RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2014, 07:56:21 PM »

So Freud is right no matter what.

Errr, I didn't mean it in the creepy Freudian manner.

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 08:02:10 PM »

When i was a kid I was told that babies in the womb were tadpoles like frogs. I was told we used to have tails. I was told that science was irrifutable fact. I was told we came from monkeys. Later in College i was told the value of survival of the fittest. If someone dies because they didnt wear a seatbelt, then good! Because it will cleans humanity of people with a lesser intelligence. If abortion is practiced then good, because it will keep the black species from getting out of control.

The odd thing is that these people are still messing with you, it's just that instead of doing it by your believing them, they are now doing it by your going to the opposite extreme. It'd be like if someone told you when you were a kid that God was a guy with a white beard that lived in the sky, and then when you grew up and realized that it wasn't true, you didn't say "Well they were wrong, God isn't like that at all," but instead you said "Well they were wrong, so there must not be a God at all."
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:02:57 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2014, 08:10:20 PM »

You seem like a decent human being to me Valekhai. And it is nice to have around to straighten out somewhat inaccurate notions.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2014, 08:40:08 PM »

Atheists deny that a dead person with dead cells can come to life again, yet often believe that dead matter came to life during the big bang.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Valekhai

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 08:45:08 PM »

Atheists deny that a dead person with dead cells can come to life again, yet often believe that dead matter came to life during the big bang.

Really? I've never met one who said that.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 10:40:27 PM »

Really? I've never met one who said that.

Valekhai, I hope Cackles doesn't ever stop posting, but he is nearly as new here as you. Don't sweat it or if you do melt down epically.

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2014, 10:59:29 PM »

When i was a kid I was told that babies in the womb were tadpoles like frogs. I was told we used to have tails. I was told that science was irrifutable fact. I was told we came from monkeys. Later in College i was told the value of survival of the fittest. If someone dies because they didnt wear a seatbelt, then good! Because it will cleans humanity of people with a lesser intelligence. If abortion is practiced then good, because it will keep the black species from getting out of control.

The odd thing is that these people are still messing with you, it's just that instead of doing it by your believing them, they are now doing it by your going to the opposite extreme. It'd be like if someone told you when you were a kid that God was a guy with a white beard that lived in the sky, and then when you grew up and realized that it wasn't true, you didn't say "Well they were wrong, God isn't like that at all," but instead you said "Well they were wrong, so there must not be a God at all."

Good post. Although there is something that was written that was true in a very specific context. That is, the ludicrous statement that if someone dies for not wearing a seat belt, that is good, statement. That sounds like someone who learned science from social scientists.  Where this did validly come up is the screening for sickle cell anemia to prevent carriers from marrying each other. By some, it was deemed as a plot to eliminate the black population by increasing the gene pool for sickle cell anemia (the logical outcome of this type of endeavor).

Cackles
Elder

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 07:44:54 AM »

It'd be like if someone told you when you were a kid that God was a guy with a white beard that lived in the sky, and then when you grew up and realized that it wasn't true, you didn't say "Well they were wrong, God isn't like that at all," but instead you said "Well they were wrong, so there must not be a God at all."

I think everyone here agrees with 'micro evolution', but that is a smoke screen and something that isn't up for debate as it really 'evolution' at all. That's not what turns a wale into a  one animal completely into another. A cow into a whale (as Darwin said.. no he really said it).

When it comes to evolution it has absolutely 0 evidence and a history of hoaxes, People here on this very forum must cling to a faith system that says we come from monkeys. That gives them closure. No more wondering where they came from. An earth worm man is going to dictate to them where they came from. These people will have faith and don't want to life a finger to see the other side of the argument.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: