OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 12:14:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baptism for all hominids? What if Neanderthal man is brought back to life?  (Read 973 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« on: January 15, 2014, 04:37:10 PM »

@jetavan - (again) btw are "hominids" pre- or post- Neanderthal? Do they qualify for Baptism?
According to the most recent classification, "hominid" would include all great apes (orangutan, chimps, gorillas, and humans).

However, historically, "hominid" has been limited to modern humans and their ancestors who split from the great apes, and this would include the genera Australopithecus and Homo (Homo erectus and Homo sapiens, e.g.). Neanderthals would be (according to some anthropologists) a subspecies of Homo sapiens and thus also hominid.

I believe all living beings qualify for Baptism -- that is, Baptism of the Holy Spirit, not necessarily Baptism with water.

Okay, so what if Neanderthal man is brought back to life through cloning and access to some viable DNA from a frozen corpse?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 04:39:41 PM »

@jetavan - (again) btw are "hominids" pre- or post- Neanderthal? Do they qualify for Baptism?
According to the most recent classification, "hominid" would include all great apes (orangutan, chimps, gorillas, and humans).

However, historically, "hominid" has been limited to modern humans and their ancestors who split from the great apes, and this would include the genera Australopithecus and Homo (Homo erectus and Homo sapiens, e.g.). Neanderthals would be (according to some anthropologists) a subspecies of Homo sapiens and thus also hominid.

I believe all living beings qualify for Baptism -- that is, Baptism of the Holy Spirit, not necessarily Baptism with water.

Okay, so what if Neanderthal man is brought back to life through cloning and access to some viable DNA from a frozen corpse?

How likely is that to happen?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 04:42:38 PM »

It would be relatively easy. One could even simply insert into a Homo sapiens the distinctive DNA sequence found in Neanderthals (and some of these sequences still exist in living modern humans today).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:43:50 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 04:43:21 PM »

I cannot remember where I read this, but some crazy scientist would like to try to clone a prehistoric man.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 04:45:47 PM »

I cannot remember where I read this, but some crazy scientist would like to try to clone a prehistoric man.

ROTFL!!!

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 04:47:26 PM »

Harvard Prof Says Neanderthal Clones Possible but Experts Doubt It

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 04:48:04 PM »

It would be relatively easy. One could even simply insert into a Homo sapiens the distinctive DNA sequence found in Neanderthals (and some of these sequences still exist in living modern humans today).

Really?  (That's a serious "really?")

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 04:50:46 PM »

"The draft sequence of the Neanderthal genome provides more evidence that interbreeding between Neanderthals and modern humans may have occurred. It showed more similarities between non-African modern humans and Neanderthals than between African modern humans and Neanderthals. This difference between regions is consistent with interbreeding between Neanderthals and the ancestors of Eurasian modern humans before they branched off into regional groups. Approximately 1 to 4% of non-African modern human DNA is shared with Neanderthals."
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:51:01 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »

Cloning does not bring back to life, but creates a duplicate. The baptism of Kligonians and Neanderthals is first on the agenda of the next ecumenical council.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:52:28 PM by IoanC » Logged
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 04:53:29 PM »

"The draft sequence of the Neanderthal genome provides more evidence that interbreeding between Neanderthals and modern humans may have occurred. It showed more similarities between non-African modern humans and Neanderthals than between African modern humans and Neanderthals. This difference between regions is consistent with interbreeding between Neanderthals and the ancestors of Eurasian modern humans before they branched off into regional groups. Approximately 1 to 4% of non-African modern human DNA is shared with Neanderthals."

Okie dokie.  Above my pay grade.

So, back to the OP....

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 04:53:58 PM »

Thank you. That is the article I read about a year ago. I also saw the coverage live on TV.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 04:55:06 PM »

Yes, so descendants of Neanderthals have been baptized for nearly 2000 years now.   
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 04:55:20 PM »

Cloning does not bring back to life, but creates a duplicate. The baptism of Kligonians and Neanderthals is first on the agenda of the next ecumenical council.

Did you forget a smilie?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 04:56:44 PM »

Did you forget a smilie?

Since when does god need smileys? Grin

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 05:00:33 PM »

Raise him as a human and teach him to talk.  If he believes the Nicean Creed then baptize and commune him as normal.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 05:02:27 PM »

Did you forget a smilie?

Up to you if you think it needs a smilie.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 05:03:12 PM »

Raise him as a human and teach him to talk.  If he believes the Nicean Creed then baptize and commune him as normal.

This sounds like you harbor crypto-rationalist RC tendencies.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 05:10:59 PM »

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 05:18:30 PM »

"Train up a Neanderthal in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 05:22:13 PM »

I harbour whatever you say I harbour.
If I didn't, then why would I say I harboured it?

Just looking for some form of criteria.  
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »

How ridiculously crypto-rationalist of you, Vamrat!! Grin Grin

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 05:52:41 PM »

I have a similar question.

What about the undead?  Shocked

"[The Lord] shall judge between many peoples, and shall decide for strong nations far away; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4, Micah 4:3)
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 05:55:02 PM »

Teach him to talk?

Language is innate! I have not studied Neanderthal anatomy and physiology, but If Neanderthal man has the proper equipment needed to vocalize: the correct oral apparatus with good tongue agility, the right placement of vocal folds in the pharyngeal area, and the requisite brain development, and if he is in daily contact with humans, he will learn to speak.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 05:55:43 PM »

Your soul is in peril. Criteria sounds a little too close to cafeteria for my tastes.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 05:56:38 PM »

Teach him to talk?

Language is innate! I have not studied Neanderthal anatomy and physiology, but If Neanderthal man has the proper equipment needed to vocalize: the correct oral apparatus with good tongue agility, the right placement of vocal folds in the pharyngeal area, and the requisite brain development, and if he is in daily contact with humans, he will learn to speak.

Only that which can speak can be dumb.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 05:57:34 PM »

No baptism for voiceless then?

What about the undead?  Shocked

AFAIK, Catholics do something like that. They think 1-hour dead is not dead yet or sort of.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:58:28 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 06:50:45 PM »

Studies show that a small portion of human DNA is Neanderthal. So in a way, Neanderthals are getting baptized.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 07:58:43 PM »

It may also be fair to point out though however that while it can be done, there is a very good chance that it would be a stillborn or would die minutes after birth. Even modern animals that we clone die prematurely more often than they survive. Now add to that the complications of cloning an extinct species.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 08:07:51 PM »

Well what if he can't?

The mentally incapacitated sometimes can't and yet the Church baptizes and communes them.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 09:59:19 PM »

Really?  What are you all going to postulate about next, Brian the alien kid from the Excede Internet ads? 

People without faith tend to view religious belief as absurd.

Do we really need to reinforce their preconceptions by entertaining a supposedly serious  discussion about a hypothetical absurdity?  (If memory serves me right, stuff like this usually was usually discussed best late at night in a hazy college dorm when one was about nineteen years old. )
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 10:06:14 PM »

Well what if he can't?

The mentally incapacitated sometimes can't and yet the Church baptizes and communes them.

It seems that the crux of the matter is whether or not Neanderthals were human.  I think they are, but 'I think' is not a good argument.  By 'teach to talk' I meant 'learn him some language'.  A retard we can already assume is human even though he may not be up to par mentally it is the same as for a genius to be compared to someone of standard intellect.  A Neanderthal would be something brought back that is no more.  We are not 100% certain, but I figure if something can speak enough that we can question it and then knows and understands the Nicean Creed he is probably more Christian than a Homo Sapiens Sapiens who does not.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 11:49:24 PM »

We wait for the Vatican to make a decision on what to do, and then we agree to do anything else but that.  Wink 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 01:18:23 AM »

We wait for the Vatican to make a decision on what to do, and then we agree to do anything else but that.  Wink 

Much like a two year old!

No, this time we must be proactive.
However, I think the Vatican beat us. Didn't they come out with some document on how to evangelize aliens, and would not Neanderthals be considered alien to us.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 02:58:15 AM »

There's debate whether Neanderthals are a subspecies of modern humans, Homo sapiens neanderthalensis, or their own distinct species, Homo neanderthalensis. In either case, they're hominid (part of the human lineage within the Hominidae) status is unperturbed.

fify

In that article you linked, where there is a display, it looked so realistic.

Aren't there some folks today who have strong Neanderthal traits? I mean couldn't someone dress them up like Neanderthals and fool a lot of people into thinking that they had cloned them?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:00:34 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 03:03:06 AM »

No way the guy in that picture should get baptized. He looks like hell.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 03:15:23 AM »

I have seen guys that look worse. I certainly would not like to meet them in a dark alley.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 03:51:34 AM »

I have seen guys that look worse. I certainly would not like to meet them in a dark alley.

He doesn't look bad, but non-human.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 03:55:12 AM »

Yeah, he has that cave man look that drives some women crazy.
Remember the TV show, The Flintstones?  Barney?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 04:24:30 AM »

Yeah, he has that cave man look that drives some women crazy.
Remember the TV show, The Flintstones?  Barney?

I meant he looks worse than bad, he is beyond human comparison (non-human, horrific).
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 05:00:40 AM »

Like monk.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 04:17:09 PM »

They'd certainly dominate professional sports and strength-building exercises in particular, that's for sure.

chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 04:44:45 PM »

They'd certainly dominate professional sports and strength-building exercises in particular, that's for sure.
They were short.   Basketball's definitely a non-starter.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 04:50:50 PM »

They were short.   Basketball's definitely a non-starter.
Never heard of Spud Webb, winner of a slam dunk contest while being one of the shortest NBA players in history, at 5'7"?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 04:52:48 PM »

That seems like any discussion on Catholic-Orthodox board or on Politics.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 04:54:10 PM »

That seems like any discussion on Catholic-Orthodox board or on Politics.

Brilliantly ambivalent.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: