OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 02:53:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quandry about Christening  (Read 1060 times) Average Rating: 0
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« on: March 10, 2005, 09:27:58 AM »

My sister approached me with a question yesterday and I had no idea, how to answer it, so I figured I'd pose it here for some help.

My sister and her husband are both Serbian Orthodox and were asked to be God Parents (Kum and Kuma in Serbian), to friends of the family (quite some time ago) and now the couple is having a baby.

They informed my sister that they intend on Christening the baby in the Macedonian Orthodox Church.

My sister is concerned and frankly, so was I (maybe without need) but that is why I'm asking for some advice here.

As some of you may know the MOC is kind of in a state of limbo, seeking autocephaly, but not being recognized as such by any other Orthodox Church.  Officialy, I think they are an autonomous Church, but from what I've read, they are on the verge of being declared schismatic for trying to unilaterally declare their autocephally.

Should my sister (actually her husband), Christen in the MOC?  Does doing so, undermine our faith?  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 09:28:39 AM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 09:31:07 AM »

They need to talk to a priest.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 09:54:31 AM »

I know there are few who post here, I figured they could help or some of the seminary students.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 10:14:16 AM »

Technically you cannot be a godparent for someone who is not in communion with you. But sometimes the bishops will use ekonomia. So the above advice is right in that your sister should ask her SOC priest if it is okay and the couple in the MOC should ask their priest. The priests may already know what their bishops have decided on such situations or may need to go to their bishops to ask. It absolutely should not be done without permission on both sides.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 10:15:10 AM »

Speaking as a seminary student, have them talk to their priest.

Joseph
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 12:09:40 PM »

Thank you everyone for your help.  I had thought because the SOC didn't break ties with the faithful of the MOC it still might be okay for a Christening.

Deacon Nikolai,

Thank you greatly for the reply.  I have another question... is the MOC officially not in communion with the SOC?  If so, are they in communion with any other Orthodox Church?  When you suggest they need to talk to the Priest in the MOC, do you think could reject them because they worship in the SOC?

When I was married, my Kum belongs to the MOC and I spoke to my priest about having him do the ceremony and he said it was fine (because the Church still had a relationship with the faithful of the MOC).  We did not consult the MOC priest, because at the time my priest did not feel it was necessary nor did we. I had just assumed (maybe wrongly) this might be the same type of thing.

Thank you all again. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 12:09:57 PM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 12:49:58 PM »

Dear SouthSerb99,

The most appropriate thing to do is for both couples to ask their respective pastor.

When in doubt, ask your pastor.

TonyS
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 12:50:28 PM by TonyS » Logged

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: