OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 10:56:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Commentaries  (Read 1341 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: March 10, 2005, 06:01:24 AM »

I was wandering if anyone can recommend some exceptional and exhaustive commentaries that I can purchase for the books of the Bible - both the Old and New Testament. Recently, I began an in-depth study on the Gospel of St John. I used St Cyril’s commentary as my standard, but I also used 2 commentaries written by contemporary Protestant scholars - D.A.Carson and Ben Witherington which I found to give some very profound insight into certain areas, the latter especially with regards to Wisdom Christology. D.A.Carson's book was recommended to me by an Orthodox friend, and his commentary seemed to be quite conservative with regards to sacramental theology, and especially with regards to Johainne authorship, staying true to the external testimony of the early church - so generally he was a safe read for a beginner like me who is not exactly 100% confident with his understanding of Orthodoxy . If there are any scholarly Orthodox commentaries out there, I would appreciate that being brought to my attention - or any other non-Orthodox commentary that would be suitable and safe to consider, that would be great. I particularly need some help with any commentaries or material I can get, exegeting the first 5 books of the Old Testament, since one of my subjects this semester focuses on the Torah specifically, from a purely academic perspective.

Thanks in advance,
Peace

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 12:27:45 PM »

check out the ACCS Ancient Christian Commentary Series edited by Thomas Oden
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 08:33:59 AM »

Thanks for the recommendation. I was really kind of hyped at first, but then I checked out the reviews on Amazon...and they were SHOCKING to say the least. Does any Orthodox believer here have this series, and if so, do you recommend it?

Does anyone have any other ideas maybe?

Peace.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
troy

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 10:27:53 AM »

If you're interested in a free, online source then you could check CCEL (http://www.ccel.org/index/author-A.html). I know if you goto the C's then you'll find Chrysostom's commentary on the Gospel of John but there's probably some other good sources there too. Hope that helps!
icxn
Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 10:52:35 AM »

Yes the ACCS is a good one... learning Greek and getting hold of the TLG CD is better... Does anyone have a copy to share...  Roll Eyes

icxn
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 03:44:35 PM »

Does anyone have any other ideas maybe?

I've got some good news, and some bad news. The good new is, some eager chap took all the files from the Church Fathers volumes as found on sites like CCEL, and organised them according to Bible Book and Chapter, and put this all on the web. So, if you wanted to know what the Church Fathers said about Matt. 16:18, you could go to "Matthew 16" and look through all the passages from thousands of patristic texts that had referenced that chapter and book. The bad news is, I can't find the link, and after a short Google search I didn't see it either. Maybe you'd have better luck finding it, though. It really was a very nice site. Sure wish I'd found it before I spent all that time looking through notepad versions of the CCEL collection looking for info on this subject or that passage.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 03:48:58 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 12:36:34 AM »

I've got some good news, and some bad news. The good new is, some eager chap took all the files from the Church Fathers volumes as found on sites like CCEL, and organised them according to Bible Book and Chapter, and put this all on the web. So, if you wanted to know what the Church Fathers said about Matt. 16:18, you could go to "Matthew 16" and look through all the passages from thousands of patristic texts that had referenced that chapter and book. The bad news is, I can't find the link, and after a short Google search I didn't see it either. Maybe you'd have better luck finding it, though. It really was a very nice site. Sure wish I'd found it before I spent all that time looking through notepad versions of the CCEL collection looking for info on this subject or that passage.

Try fathersofthechurch.com, the site of Mike Aquilina (RC patristics writer) ; he refers to this site periodically, I beleive.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: