OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 09:58:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "I deserve to be happy" "I deserve..."  (Read 1145 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2014, 05:15:06 PM »

You'll have to be more specific about the context or intended target if you want me to pontificate and make sweeping generalizations.
Sorry I was on the john when I made the thread.
Oy, more crap to come from you as you're sitting on the crapper. laugh
Ha!  And he criticizes me for my posting habits.....LOLOLOL

Reminds me of some graffiti I once saw in a public bathroom somewhere, years ago: "Here I sit all broken hearted.  I came to ___t and only farted." Grin Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2014, 05:55:36 PM »

Where does that crap come from anyway? Seriously.

I heard an Englishman on a radio program stating that Americans are eternal optimists and I think he's probably on to something.  I think it's in our cultural DNA beginning with the Declaration of Independence; "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."  on into the Manifest Destiniy, the Industrial Revolution and the "Shining City on a Hill" defining American exceptionalism.  I think we run into trouble by listening to the pharmaceutical companies package "happiness" in pill form.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Skydive
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »

Huh...how oddly fortuitous. I was just lecturing the tiny people on the tv about this subject earlier this morning: "Shut up, quit whining, be grateful for what you've got, get on with it and do something for someone else for a change."

Of course, they didn't respond and the dog left the room.

Even the dog disagrees  Smiley

"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2014, 02:17:54 PM »

Happiness includes, even in its etymology, an element of luck. It just 'happens'. It is by definition random and transient. I wouldn't rely on it.

I've once heard someone say that you're happy the moment you choose to be. I thought there was some merit in that statement.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:18:26 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Skydive
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2014, 02:18:30 PM »

Noone deserves happiness.

Don't we all pray stuff to the point of "I, the unworthy"? Are we serious when we say that or something to that effect?

The very concept of Grace is that we are given something that we do not deserve, that we are unworthy to receive.

But, alas, happiness feels so very good. And there are two approaches to it "Pursue or conquer it", and "choose it". The first is still in the concept we can do something to deserve it, the second acknowledges noone can merit it, but it goes to the opposite extreme and the "catch" is that it makes us believe *we* can choose it. It's ok when someone faces a serious limitation like Nick Vujicic. But when people simply decide to do nothing and that yet they will feel happy nevertheless, it's just self-delusion.

All virtues and good things can turn into "temptations of the right" as Elder Arsenie put it: www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZqCFu2ejoc
Happiness is just another good thing that our culture has perverted. When more happiness leads us away from God, when we feel happy in doing ungodly things, then "more" is "worse".

What do you mean by "choosing your happiness" ?

"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll
Skydive
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2014, 02:19:37 PM »

Happiness includes, even in its etymology, an element of luck. It just 'happens'. It is by definition random and transient. I wouldn't rely on it.

I've once heard someone say that you're happy the moment you choose to be. I thought there was some merit in that statement.

What do you mean? How is happiness a choice? If everything in your life is upside down how can you be happy?   Roll Eyes

Robert Green Ingersoll
Skydive
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2014, 02:30:08 PM »

Contentment, on the other hand, is something that everyone can work on and achieve, regardless of their actual circumstances.

I think happiness trumps contentment any time.

Robert Green Ingersoll
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2014, 02:41:54 PM »

What do you mean? How is happiness a choice? If everything in your life is upside down how can you be happy?   Roll Eyes

Haven't you ever wondered why happiness and the greatest joy can be found among the most hopeless of people and the greatest sadness and depression among those who are universally considered to be protégées of fortune and who appear to possess everything one could desire?

Happiness, I think, is not the absence of hardships or setback, but the way you handle them. Were the absence of hardships the requirement for happiness nobody alive would be happy, since hardships are unavoidable and indeed a fact of life. To a great extent happiness and equanimity are synonyms.

At least, that's what I believe.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:43:02 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Skydive
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2014, 02:54:21 PM »

"hopeless" people are usually less intelligent than "protégées of fortune" . I would say the answer to that is just ignorance. One who is more ignorant has inferior expectations than one who is less ignorant. I also think it is a matter of IQ.

Robert Green Ingersoll
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2014, 03:03:56 PM »

One who is more ignorant has inferior expectations than one who is less ignorant.

The amount of happiness and the amount of money on your bank account don't correlate.

-Samuel Coleridge
Skydive
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2014, 03:06:29 PM »

One who is more ignorant has inferior expectations than one who is less ignorant.

The amount of happiness and the amount of money on your bank account don't correlate.

Because happiness is not objective.

Robert Green Ingersoll
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: