OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 10:59:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I even trust the experience of people only married once?  (Read 1936 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: January 13, 2014, 03:51:38 PM »

I was reading a few posts today about those who have been married only once, how difficult the marriage is and they dispense advice. Problem is, you've only had one marriage, how is your advice going to apply to everyone elses?

I understand someone who has been married 3-5 times has no idea what marriage is, fine, but just one?

I hear about how people are miserable and suffer from being married. But what if I find a partner where I am not in pain? Am I doing the whole marriage thing wrong?

I'd rather have a marriage that contains joy, not one that creates a heavier cross to carry.

Maybe marriage just isn't for me. I'd rather have that option to leave the relationship if I wanted to, cause I will not divorce unless there is abuse/malice or infedility.

But anyway, I just have a hard time accepting the ancedotal marriage tips/advice from those only married once and it doesn't matter how long. Not everyones marriage is the same, I don't think there are universals either.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jovan
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »

In short, you want the answer to be very very qualitative through a method quantity, it does not work that way :S One marriage is enough to see what went right and wrong Tongue

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 04:04:56 PM »

How about don't take advice from strangers on the internet?  That works, too.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:08:10 PM by hecma925 » Logged

Adela
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 04:07:53 PM »

Many of us only married once have had previous relationships that weren't marriage material.  So that counts towards insight concerning discernment towards marriage.  I learned a lot from some bad and ill-advised relationships, such as what a great feeling it was to throw my wedding gown into a dumpster to burn all bridges to a controlling man I was about to marry. If that wedding took place I'd be on my 2nd marriage instead of the first.  (Looking back I should have taken it to Goodwill or Salvation Army but that's water under the bridge )
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 04:08:24 PM »

This brings up an interesting point.  If you have two people who just work well together, are they necessarily doing things better than someone who just married a turd?  I guess they did better with the whole decision making thing than the turd-marrier, but there is also a matter of availability - sometimes you just gotta roll with what's in stock at the time.  

It seems that any marriage advice needs the caveat "your results might vary".  Any "universals" might just be a "works more often than not with relatively sane people".  I have seen happy marriages/relationships and miserable ones and often they had the same factors, it's just that one party got through them (or liked the factors, even) while others were torn apart by them.

In short, a relationship/marriage is two people chock full of neuroses and personality defects trying to coexist.  As my brother's friend told him, marry the crazy you can deal with.  (He's been married about 30 years...and somewhere between miserable and happy.)

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 04:11:22 PM »

I was only married once, but my mom has been married five times and my father four times... so I have plenty of experience evaluating marital relationships. Tongue

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
TheTrisagion
Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 04:19:26 PM »

The thing is, marriage is not really rocket science.  Most people who have successful marriages pretty much agree on what makes it succeed. It is just plain hard work.  There are times when it is enjoyable and there are times when it isn't. Regardless of who you marry, you are going to have to figure out how to make sacrifices.

I don't need to try out a million shovels before figuring out how to dig a hole.  Sure you may have preferences in the shovel you pick, but a guy who has dug a 50 ft hole with one shovel is going to be better at it than a guy who owned 50 shovels but never started digging.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 04:26:33 PM »

The thing is, marriage is not really rocket science.  Most people who have successful marriages pretty much agree on what makes it succeed. It is just plain hard work.  There are times when it is enjoyable and there are times when it isn't. Regardless of who you marry, you are going to have to figure out how to make sacrifices.

I don't need to try out a million shovels before figuring out how to dig a hole.  Sure you may have preferences in the shovel you pick, but a guy who has dug a 50 ft hole with one shovel is going to be better at it than a guy who owned 50 shovels but never started digging.

Are you trying to imply that marriage is like digging yourself into a hole? Grin Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »

Are you trying to imply that marriage is like digging yourself into a hole? Grin Grin
Take from it what you will.  Cheesy

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 04:36:13 PM »

Or...just ask orthonorm... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »

Or...just ask orthonorm... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
"I ain't never been no married, and I can tell you that you're all wrong. Varsity interwebnetz and stuffs"

At least, that is what I think he would say.

I've only been married about 5 months and it is definitely hard work. Harder than I could have expected, but it's worth it. Humility, forgiveness and prayer are the tools to use. I don't think being married multiple times would be an asset in learning that. Breathing and being sober could tell you marriage takes work.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 04:46:21 PM »

"I ain't never been no married, and I can tell you that you're all wrong. Varsity interwebnetz and stuffs"

I've only been married about 5 months and it is definitely hard work. Harder than I could have expected, but it's worth it. Humility, forgiveness and prayer are the tools to use. I don't think being married multiple times would be an asset in learning that. Breathing and being sober could tell you marriage takes work.

In Christ,
Andrew
laugh

Adela
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 04:54:12 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

So true!  The first year is rough.  Mainly because your are trying to mesh two points of view and approaches you've learned from your Family of Origin.  And there's no timeout because you are, well, married!  It's a bit of a shock.  Patience, perseverance and just constant remembering what you like about the other person.   
TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 04:59:30 PM »

I personally did not find the first year rough. I loved the first couple years of marriage. We both worked and brought in lots of money.  We had low expenses, so we did lots of traveling, having fun and blowing money on silly things.  I think it got tougher once we had kids (they are age 5 &7) and then it got pretty rocky when I decided to convert to Orthodoxy about 3 yrs ago.  Things have regained their equalibrium and I feel like things are pretty good now.  We are 11 years in at this point.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 05:24:30 PM »

But if your wife asks about this post, your account has been hacked.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 05:32:53 PM »

But if your wife asks about this post, your account has been hacked.
Yes. thank you.  I am shocked, SHOCKED at what someone has written using my account!  Shocked Cool

ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 11:04:39 PM »

I think there's a learning curve in the first year or so when you're learning how to actually like, live together. But I think it helps that you're pretty blissed out still so maybe you're just more amenable to over-looking a lot.  Cheesy I was just thinking earlier of how what I find to be romantic has changed after 5 years of marriage and life. Not in a bad way, just different.

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 12:30:43 AM »

Marriage is awesome. I am very, very, happily married. The relationship certainly evolves and changes over time though.

When we were first married, a surprise bouquet of flowers and a love note was the ultimate romantic gesture to me.

17 years and six children later; getting up with the kids and letting me sleep in, while doing the dishes, and folding the laundry, is the ultimate romantic gesture to me. Wink
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:33:57 AM by Quinault » Logged
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
OC.net guru

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 12:40:08 AM »

I was reading a few posts today about those who have been married only once, how difficult the marriage is and they dispense advice.
I've never found it very difficult, but I don't hand out advice, either.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 12:49:16 AM »

Marriage is awesome. I am very, very, happily married. The relationship certainly evolves and changes over time though.

When we were first married, a surprise bouquet of flowers and a love note was the ultimate romantic gesture to me.

17 years and six children later; getting up with the kids and letting me sleep in, while doing the dishes, and folding the laundry, is the ultimate romantic gesture to me. Wink

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking of as well. Cheesy At the beginning of our relationship, I perceived romance as the explicit, showy gestures like (as you said) bringing me flowers and the like. Now, I'm like, "He works really hard to support our family and never complains about it." Or, "He worked all day and still came home and took over the kids' chaos so I could shower." Or, "He grabbed bread before he left for work without me asking because he knew we were out." It's not that I didn't appreciate that he worked before, and it's not that I don't like getting surprise flowers now... but it's different. I just really appreciate and notice all the quiet ways that he shows us that he loves us by faithfully doing average, boring, everyday stuff so that we can have a nice life. He does it without fanfare day in and day out and never lords it over me or expects a parade in his honor. It's those kind of things that make me think I'm so lucky, I guess. I'll stop rambling, but obviously, I am a fan of my husband.  Tongue Kiss

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 01:21:26 AM »

I find that most advice, in that it comes from another person's unique experience, rarely translates to me and my unique experience. So, in this case, someone married only once is no more likely to be right or wrong in his advice for me than someone married eight times.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 01:27:46 AM »

There's entirely too much happiness in this thread.  Where's all the spite, ennui, and jaded bitterness of those who know the truth?   

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 01:34:59 AM »

There's entirely too much happiness in this thread.  Where's all the spite, ennui, and jaded bitterness of those who know the truth?   

All the spiteful, embittered, jaded, and bored married people are too busy working on their online dating profiles to worry about an Orthodox forum. So that just leaves spiteful, embittered, jaded, and bored SINGLE people to post here, along with the happily married.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:35:31 AM by Shanghaiski » Logged

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 01:39:08 AM »

All the spiteful, embittered, jaded, and bored married people are too busy working on their online dating profiles to worry about an Orthodox forum. So that just leaves spiteful, embittered, jaded, and bored SINGLE people to post here, along with the happily married.

Who will respond with a heartfelt "Yo mama"? 

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 04:53:45 AM »

Ssssshhhhh! Don't encourage them!!  Shocked laugh laugh
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »

Yo Yo Ma will respond.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 10:05:13 AM »

Yo Yo Ma will respond.

And quite beautifully, too!! 

katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 10:34:21 AM »

I hear about how people are miserable and suffer from being married. But what if I find a partner where I am not in pain?

The crazy and difficult thing about marriage is, IMHO of course, that these states of being/feeling coexist in the same marriage.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 10:41:46 AM »

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking of as well. Cheesy At the beginning of our relationship, I perceived romance as the explicit, showy gestures like (as you said) bringing me flowers and the like. Now, I'm like, "He works really hard to support our family and never complains about it." Or, "He worked all day and still came home and took over the kids' chaos so I could shower." Or, "He grabbed bread before he left for work without me asking because he knew we were out." It's not that I didn't appreciate that he worked before, and it's not that I don't like getting surprise flowers now... but it's different. I just really appreciate and notice all the quiet ways that he shows us that he loves us by faithfully doing average, boring, everyday stuff so that we can have a nice life. He does it without fanfare day in and day out and never lords it over me or expects a parade in his honor. It's those kind of things that make me think I'm so lucky, I guess. I'll stop rambling, but obviously, I am a fan of my husband.  Tongue Kiss

Absolutely!
I'd rather have a man who disposes of a (very) dead rat behind the washer, and cleans everything up without even telling me about it. Even though he has practically a phobia about rats, like my husband did.
What a romantic guy!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »

I don't know if I necessarily agree. I love to buy the girls in my life things, flowers, chocolates, purses, makeup, perfume, etc. Even just out of spotaneity.

That's not to say I'm buying stuff everyday, but a few times women really do appreciate it, they feel loved.

Women could use a lot more love, and I've noticed that for the majority of marriages much of the water runs dry.

That's great your husband can take out the trash or cleanup. But he should do more. To me, there needs to be a level of initimacy between both. I think this is also crucial that your children are aware of this to, otherwise they will have distorted views on what a marriage is.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 11:08:26 AM »

Why does Orthodoxy have such a fatalistic view of marriage? "You have DIE. IT's MARTYRDOM!!!!" "It's going to be sooo hard all the time and your kids will ascetically suck the life out of you and you will attain holy dispassion."

Many present it this way, but what about the romance and love? I love my wife and kids and they make me happy. I know that not everyone presents it this way, but sometimes it gets old. It's OK to be happy in your marriage.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 11:11:19 AM »

Why does Orthodoxy have such a fatalistic view of marriage? "You have DIE. IT's MARTYRDOM!!!!" "It's going to be sooo hard all the time and your kids will ascetically suck the life out of you and you will attain holy dispassion."

Many present it this way, but what about the romance and love? I love my wife and kids and they make me happy. I know that not everyone presents it this way, but sometimes it gets old. It's OK to be happy in your marriage.
As much as I agree with all of this, and I really do, I also like that the Church takes marriage as seriously as it does.

Granted the above is pretty scary stuff, and both people surely need to know what they are getting themselves into, but it should be presented in a different way. This whole "your life is over" upon being married is a real turn off.

But married couples I have seen at the parishes you can tell have a lot of joy. However I know of a priest's wife that wasn't so happy, but that's a different matter...

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 11:52:44 AM »

As much as I agree with all of this, and I really do, I also like that the Church takes marriage as seriously as it does.

Granted the above is pretty scary stuff, and both people surely need to know what they are getting themselves into, but it should be presented in a different way. This whole "your life is over" upon being married is a real turn off.

But married couples I have seen at the parishes you can tell have a lot of joy. However I know of a priest's wife that wasn't so happy, but that's a different matter...

Well, in a sense, when you get married YOUR life IS over--because it's no longer just about YOU and what you want and need and think is best, etc.  While of course you still maintain your individuality, you are now part of we/us and what you do and do not do must take that into consideration.  That is what, amongst other things, can be so very difficult and painful at times--surrendering YOUR will and wants, and fulfilling the will and wants and needs of your spouse and children should you be blessed with them.  (I'm sure someone can put that all into somewhat more elegant terms, or more comprehensively  Smiley .)

EDIT:  In your other thread here, Shiny, Fabio Leite has "coincidentally" posted this: "The world teaches "follow your heart".

God teaches:
He that trusts in his own heart is a fool: but he that walks wisely, he shall be delivered."

Proverbs 28:26
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,56000.msg1061969.html#msg1061969

I just thought that that was apropos  Wink.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:58:37 AM by J Michael » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 11:59:37 AM »

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:00:00 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »

I don't know if I necessarily agree. I love to buy the girls in my life things, flowers, chocolates, purses, makeup, perfume, etc. Even just out of spotaneity.

That's not to say I'm buying stuff everyday, but a few times women really do appreciate it, they feel loved.

Women could use a lot more love, and I've noticed that for the majority of marriages much of the water runs dry.

That's great your husband can take out the trash or cleanup. But he should do more. To me, there needs to be a level of initimacy between both. I think this is also crucial that your children are aware of this to, otherwise they will have distorted views on what a marriage is.

I feel way more loved and cherished by the ordinary, every-day stuff my husband takes care of than I do by the extras he bestows on me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-flowers or anti-candlelight dinners and anti-perfume, but if that's the metric you're* using to determine love, you're going to spend a lot of your life dissatisfied. Going to work to provide for us, taking the trash out so I don't have to, picking up milk on the way home... these things speak way louder to me because it's not exciting, totally average, and sacrificial. You get someone flowers because you generally want to do that, and you want their thrilled reaction because it makes you feel good. It's out of the ordinary. Again, it's nice to be the recipient of that kind of fun gesture. That is not what inspires deep wells of love in my heart though. I see him doing things he probably would rather not be doing for the ultimate good of our family and I think, "What a good man." I agree that kids should see spouses doing nice things for each other, but if my kids grow up thinking that this stereotypical romance = love, then I think that is a distorted view on what a marriage is. I would much rather have them grow up realizing that those things are awesome and fun and special occasions, but that love is better shown through actions, many of which seem mundane and unremarkable.

*All you's general
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:10:47 PM by ZealousZeal » Logged

TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 12:13:24 PM »

It is the same way in my house.  My wife becomes irrisistably attracted to me when I clean the bathroom.  laugh

She could care less about flowers.  Our cats eat them and then vomits when flowers are in the house, so that kind of reduces the romance aspect.

Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 12:15:14 PM »

and anti-perfume

A man that uses perfume is no man.

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

'Don't bother arguing with Cyrillic, he is Dutch or something queer like that.'
-Byron
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 12:15:49 PM »

I feel way more loved and cherished by the ordinary, every-day stuff my husband takes care of than I do by the extras he bestows on me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-flowers or anti-candlelight dinners and anti-perfume, but if that's the metric you're* using to determine love, you're going to spend a lot of your life dissatisfied. Going to work to provide for us, taking the trash out so I don't have to, picking up milk on the way home... these things speak way louder to me because it's not exciting, totally average, and sacrificial. You get someone flowers because you generally want to do that, and you want their thrilled reaction because it makes you feel good. It's out of the ordinary. Again, it's nice to be the recipient of that kind of fun gesture. That is not what inspires deep wells of love in my heart though. I see him doing things he probably would rather not be doing for the ultimate good of our family and I think, "What a good man." I agree that kids should see spouses doing nice things for each other, but if my kids grow up thinking that this stereotypical romance = love, then I think that is a distorted view on what a marriage is. I would much rather have them grow up realizing that those things are awesome and fun and special occasions, but that love is better shown through actions, many of which seem mundane and unremarkable.

*All you's general

Amen! Preach it, sister!

(Anyway, I'm probably atypical since I'd rather have books or cool electronics than flowers, candy and perfume.)

St. John Chrysostom
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2014, 12:16:38 PM »

I think it is ascetical, but the joy of marriage is indescribable, to me at least. If I had to choose marriage to my wife or something else, I'd pick my wife. I don't know about children yet. We've got one on the way and I'm eager to hold the baby and be a dad. I'm sure it will be tough, but I think it will be worthwhile as you stated.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2014, 12:17:34 PM »

Nothing wrong in spending money on your lifemate. It had better be spent on the right things, though, and that's where knowing what makes the other one tick comes in handy. My husband knows that, for the price of a bottle of Chanel No.5, he can get a maid to come in and do my housework so I can have a carefree day in town, and have leftover pocket money to spend there. The choice wouldn't be hard at all. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »

It is the same way in my house.  My wife becomes irrisistably attracted to me when I clean the bathroom.  laugh

She could care less about flowers.  Our cats eat them and then vomits when flowers are in the house, so that kind of reduces the romance aspect.
When you buy flowers, and the cat eats them, and then vomits, does she become irresistibly attracted to you when you put on your VomitMan cape and tights and clean it up?

TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2014, 12:21:37 PM »

When you buy flowers, and the cat eats them, and then vomits, does she become irresistibly attracted to you when you put on your VomitMan cape and tights and clean it up?
No.  That is usually when she is yelling about why I was so stupid as to bring flowers back in the house when I know full well that the cat will eat them.  Grin

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 12:22:05 PM »

I'm sure of it, but only if he wear underwear on the outside of his tights.

ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2014, 12:22:52 PM »

Brilliant. A cycle of win for you, Trisagion.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: