Author Topic: Cannot afford to attend church  (Read 3424 times)

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
Re: Cannot afford to attend church
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2014, 04:02:02 PM »
Why do you opt for the worst possible interpretation of mabsoota's suggestion when a theme of this thread is how the OP finds it difficult to attend an Orthodox church at all due to the distance, financial challenges, etc.?  It's up to the OP to decide what s/he wants to do with the information given in the thread, but there's no need to make such unwarranted accusations against others.

Because he suggests for potential EO converts to attend OO parishes all the time here. This is borderline rule breaking.

I'm not interested in whether you believe Oriental Orthodox aren't "really" Orthodox, I can learn that in time if it is true, or send me a private message as to why I should maintain my path to the Eastern Orthodox and stay away from Oriental Orthodox. Please don't barrier off different Orthodox churches from me so publicly before I've had a chance to investigate them for myself, thank you, if anything it puts people off when you rebuke your brothers and sisters for belonging to a different jurisdiction of Orthodox Christendom.
Lord Deliver Us.

I no longer use this profile for conversation, only news, PMs and prayer requests.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »
It's not "different jurisdiction".
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2014, 04:16:35 PM »
Because he suggests for potential EO converts to attend OO parishes all the time here. This is borderline rule breaking.

If you think a rule is being broken, feel free to click the "report to moderator" link at the bottom right corner of the offending post.  
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2014, 04:53:02 PM »
It's not "different jurisdiction".

You know what I mean, is that the only thing you took from what I said, the need to point out the error of a misused term? Either make a helpful contribution [edit: relevant to the original post] or please stop taking part in my thread, thanks.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:11:10 PM by JGHunter »
Lord Deliver Us.

I no longer use this profile for conversation, only news, PMs and prayer requests.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2014, 05:20:20 PM »
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2014, 06:02:32 PM »
hi, i am a 'she'.
 :)

i actually sent a personal message to the original poster recommending an EO mission, that was sadly in the wrong area.

more about me:
last month i attended an ordination of an EO friend (real one, not 'computer friend') to the diaconate. here, i had a profound experience of God that deepened my faith.
i have been to antiochian, romanian and greek orthodox services.

masoota
(friend of many EO people)
 :angel:

Offline RehamG

• Elder
    • Add me on FB
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2014, 10:54:58 AM »
Why do you opt for the worst possible interpretation of mabsoota's suggestion when a theme of this thread is how the OP finds it difficult to attend an Orthodox church at all due to the distance, financial challenges, etc.?  It's up to the OP to decide what s/he wants to do with the information given in the thread, but there's no need to make such unwarranted accusations against others.

She was and is just being helpful, not trying to steal away inquirers to the Oriental side.
"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6

Offline Ersaia

• Elder
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2014, 04:25:04 PM »
Please stop talk about gas/petrol cost or I will start cry
 :'(
I burn wood to heat my house. WOOD! because the %#$#$^%#@ EU  and the #%#%$#@ IMF and the #%^$#^%$# politicians decide it's good idea for economy to add more taxes and people in Greece can't heat their houses the last 2 years . We sell our cars also
 :-\

Let's go back to church problem

To be honest I don't go to church every sunday, and the church is probably 50 meters from my home (I can hear the bells if I don't sleep). And I have another church 150 meters from here and another 500 meters from here.

But as I understand you are not baptized and you must be catechumen until final convert so you must talk with the priest.Maybe you can do it in summer when you will not have the college ?

You can trust God. Maybe some Greeks will move near you very soon, they migrate every day these years.

They gave you some links for streaming divine liturgy I will give you one more from a greek church tv, it has liturgy 3-4 times every day just find the hours GR->UK

http://www.tv4e.gr/livestreaming.php

I can see  from the program 23:45 has matins and divine liturgy, 7:20 midnight liturgy, 8:00 matins, 18:00 vespers, 23:05 evening service

don't have problem because it's greek, I promise you that the half of Greeks don't understand it because it's not modern Greek
 ;D

Offline The Stylite

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2014, 08:04:13 PM »
As someone with two parishes within walking distance and at least a couple of others about 5-10 minutes away by car, I can honestly say that....................................I have absolutely no idea what you're going through. 

Attend the services when you can. If you can't afford to go often, then don't beat yourself upover it because you're not the first or the last to have this kind of problem. Do the Supplications to the Theotokos, the 6 Psalms, etc with your wife when you can't make it to church.  When you do go to church, make sure to get there before the orthos starts, so that you don't miss even a millisecond of of prayer.

God, in his boundless love, will reward your patience and provide for you.  Know that He will also send more grace to you than me, since I have it easier than you.

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2014, 05:15:40 AM »
As someone with two parishes within walking distance and at least a couple of others about 5-10 minutes away by car, I can honestly say that....................................I have absolutely no idea what you're going through. 

Attend the services when you can. If you can't afford to go often, then don't beat yourself upover it because you're not the first or the last to have this kind of problem. Do the Supplications to the Theotokos, the 6 Psalms, etc with your wife when you can't make it to church.  When you do go to church, make sure to get there before the orthos starts, so that you don't miss even a millisecond of of prayer.

God, in his boundless love, will reward your patience and provide for you.  Know that He will also send more grace to you than me, since I have it easier than you.

You're very kind God bless you, we are not even catechumen so I am not sure what those things are that you speak of. I am just very eager to attend!
Lord Deliver Us.

Offline Nathanael

• Elder
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2014, 06:16:15 AM »
I hadn't been able for three years to attend liturgy regularly, but about only once a month. But I had been keeping a daily regular prayer rule from my orthodox prayer book, fasting during the fasting time and additionaly reading orthodox books. And it seems that this was enough.  :)
Wisdom from Elder Seraphim - All our troubles come from...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6eL2pwtVKs

The Goal of an Orthodox Monk: 'Incarnation of Love':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZishdSrYWM

Offline Ionnis

• OC.net guru
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2014, 11:55:42 AM »
This problem is not uncommon, even in the United States.  I wish our respective Churches and the parish councils, designated a portion of the yearly budget to assist those who travel afar.  I'm so sorry that you are unable to attend a Liturgy weekly.  But don't grow despondent or give up.  The Lord knows the intention of your heart.  Whatever happens, and I truly do not know what will happen, He will hear the cries of your heart, and respond accordingly.  But be prepared that he might not answer in the way you want/expect.  Just be open.  God bless you!  I pray you find not only a home, but salvation, in Christ's Holy Orthodox Church. 
"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope

Offline Deborah

• Never look back
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2014, 04:16:41 PM »
This problem is not uncommon, even in the United States.  I wish our respective Churches and the parish councils, designated a portion of the yearly budget to assist those who travel afar.  I'm so sorry that you are unable to attend a Liturgy weekly.  But don't grow despondent or give up.  The Lord knows the intention of your heart.  Whatever happens, and I truly do not know what will happen, He will hear the cries of your heart, and respond accordingly.  But be prepared that he might not answer in the way you want/expect.  Just be open.  God bless you!  I pray you find not only a home, but salvation, in Christ's Holy Orthodox Church. 

1++++ (Wish there was a 'like' button!)
Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM :)

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine (my patron saint)