OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 02:45:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hosanna: Palm leaves and flowers  (Read 3503 times) Average Rating: 0
paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« on: March 08, 2005, 07:05:21 PM »

In the Indian Orthodox Church, people bring the leaves (tender leaves of coconut tree) from home and it is considered a blessing to the trees from which it is taken.  People hold it during procession. Bishop/priest  consecrates the leaves Sunday and then distributed to people for holding during liturgy. They are allowed to take it home and the consecrated leaves are considered a blessing. Do you take it home in sister OO churches?What kind of leaves are used?

Also in Indian Orthodox, palm Sunday is childrens day. Children collect variety of flowers in baskets and bring it to the Church. When the priest says Hosanna during liturgy, they throw it upwards saying (shouting) hosanna. I would like to know if this is also the tradition in sister OO churches? Usually MGOCSM people (members of Ortho. Students movement) does the cleaning after liturgy (Mor can confirm this) !

Peace

Paul
Fortunatus
Son of Antony

Faith: Orthodox

'If thou wilt be perfect...'

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 11:20:29 PM »

+Irini nem ehmot

For the Copts, Palm Sunday is huge! We all get together to weave Palm leaves (we use Palm trees) into all sorts of things: donkeys, crosses, complex patters of who knows what... ALSO, the processional cross used must have Palms weaved into it, or just be a gigantic palm cross altogether! We have a big procession around the Church singing our "Hosanna" hymn, in which virtually always the children join in. I actually have lost my voice for Palm Sunday services before!

Prayers, please...

Agape,
         Fortunatus
Amen, maranatha!
"A man's life or death cometh from his neighbour; if we benefit our brother we benefit ourselves, and if we offend him we sin against God." - The Great Abba Antony
paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 12:49:58 PM »

Interesting! I have seen people making different types of cross ornamentation etc., and the bunch blessed by the priest will have cross made with the leaves. But I have no seen people making other shapes!   

Do you use flowers?

-Paul
Fortunatus
Son of Antony

Faith: Orthodox

'If thou wilt be perfect...'

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 01:22:32 PM »

+Irini nem ehmot

Flowers are used in the processional cross during the feast of Palm Sunday, but not very much among the other 'objects'. Flowers are bigger part of the Pascha Week and the Great Pascha itself.

Please pray for me.

Agape,
         Fortunatus
Amen, maranatha!
"A man's life or death cometh from his neighbour; if we benefit our brother we benefit ourselves, and if we offend him we sin against God." - The Great Abba Antony
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 05:26:07 PM »

I'm bringing up this old thread to point out that reply 131 in the music thread below links to a video showing the practice described by Paul in his original post:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9840.90.html

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »

To make things easier, here is a direct link to the video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-8D-ruysWvc&feature=related

Tags: Syriac Orthodox Coptic Orthodox Church Indian Orthodox Pascha Palm Sunday Holy Week 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: