OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 06:43:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Number of hits counter on statistics page  (Read 1300 times) Average Rating: 0
Joe T

Are we there, yet?

« on: January 27, 2003, 08:33:05 PM »

Help!

I am confused by some things on this website.  I was hoping that someone can explain to me something in regards to the statistical page.

Here is my perplexing problem:

Between 7:18 and 7:21 PM, I was the only one that was marked as "users online."  No "guests" were logged.

At 7:18 PM, the statistical count was 1,629.

At 7:21 PM, the statistical count was 1,639.

In three minutes, the statistical count tallied a total of ten "hits."  What it is really counting are the number of times a user clicks onto a new page on the forum.

So, what is the real number of "discreet" users per day?

At 7:27 PM, there was one guest and two users online.  The statistical tally was reading 1,660, an additional twenty-one hits accumulated since 7:21 PM, though only three of us were online at one time.

Is there a "discreet hits" tally anywhere?  I can care less about the number of times a single user or group of users opened a new page.

Sorry for being so anal.  I was simply wondering why, as a lone visitor, I was tallying such a high number of hits.

God bless,
Joe T

PS: I checked back at 7:55 PM and the tally of "hits" read 1,731.  In such a short time (26 minutes) there were just over 100 hits even though there were only a few names online and a few guests too.  Should the "hits" column (the number of times a forum page is clicked on) be changed or modified to read actual number of discreet users per day (the number of individual registered members and guests visiting)?  Just a suggestion.  It makes more sense, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2003, 09:00:30 PM by Joe T » Logged

Isaiah 1:10-20; 2:10-12 (LXX)
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 11:28:23 PM »

Hello Joe T,

I have it coded so each time a user hits the index.php page, one hit is added to the tally.

The only other way to keep track of hits per user per diem would be to use session variables in the PHP code. This causes issues on some platforms and web browsers, specifically Macintosh systems.

So yes, if you sit and reloaded the main page 1000 times, it will 1000 to the hits.

When I have free time, I'm going to rewrite all of the code that does the 'hits' system, and develop a more robust system. Until then however, you'll have to live with whats there.

On the admin section however, I have the correct tally that I can post sometime. Also, I added the feature for myself to login invisible, so if you see an incredible amount of hits in a short period of time, its probably me.

Thanks for asking a technical question since thats the only sort of thing I enjoy writing about and have the knowledge to write about on this forum.

Bobby

Joe T

Are we there, yet?

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2003, 08:40:33 AM »

Hello Joe T,

I have it coded so each time a user hits the index.php page, one hit is added to the tally.

Thanks for asking a technical question since thats the only sort of thing I enjoy writing about and have the knowledge to write about on this forum.

Bobby

Bobby,

No problem.  I was just wondering.

So, you are a techy, eh?  Nothing wrong there.  These things stand out like a sore thumb since my days as an operations cost analyst.  Probably why I understand, somewhat, the German mindset.

Maybe edit the "hits" column as "clicks" until you make the website more robust - as you say.

God bless and have loads of fun getting technical!

Joe T
« Last Edit: January 28, 2003, 08:41:11 AM by Joe T » Logged

Isaiah 1:10-20; 2:10-12 (LXX)
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2003, 10:24:25 AM »

I'm an embedded systems programmer, so I live on assembler code and C++.

I hate web programming, hate it hate it hate it. Not sure how you survived as an operations cost analyst, sounds too database intensive:) Smiley

Bobby
Tags: Technical Issue 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: