OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:28:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No, We Cannot Read Your PMs  (Read 884 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: January 07, 2014, 11:08:53 AM »

Good morning!  To those on the Old Calendar, a Merry Christmas to you, and to those on the New, a blessed Theophany (and feast of St. John) to all.

On occasion, the subject of "who can read my PMs" arises in threads, along the lines of, "I'm sure the (insert: mods, administrators, global mods) can go through and read my PMs."  This is usually offered as an insult to the mods (insinuating that they'd do anything to try and impugn one's reputation), or as a conspiratorial volley ("they're out to get us!").

The simple answer: for the most part, we cannot.  There is no access point in the Simple Machines Forum (SMF) software for us to read anyone's PMs - the SMF developers are opposed to such access in principle (as are we), and thus made no access point. Thus, we don't have a way to snoop on your PMs, and we frankly don't want to.  We are perfectly aware that there are (and always have been) users who are dissatisfied with how the forum is run who choose to PM each other to complain, plan, etc. - generally, they or someone they communicate with is open with us about their existence.  But even in those cases, we're not interested in reading your PMs.  There are other factors (how they're organized, the sheer volume, etc.) that would deter anyone from looking into them anyway.

Two notable exceptions:

1. If someone reports your PM to us, then yes, we can read it - but only what is specifically reported to us, not others (i.e. if someone reports one harassing PM, we're not able to go back and see any history of back-and-forth, unless those were also individually reported to us).  This is included as a safe-guard against PM harassment.  Easiest way to avoid this: don't harass people (via PM, or any other means).

2. Anastasios, site owner and technical administrator, could theoretically slog through the MySQL database to find PMs.  But it wouldn't be easy or convenient.  He's the only one with server & database access and has also expressed in the past that he's not interested in snooping on people's PMs. 

So rest easy that the moderators, GMs, and Administrators have neither the access nor the inclination to read your PMs. 

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:16:57 AM »

One does have to read PMs to get general concept of simpations and antipations, parties, factions, coup d'etats being prepared etc. Most posters are quite easy to successfully predict what they write or do.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 11:27:30 AM »

One does have to read PMs to get general concept of simpations and antipations, parties, factions, coup d'etats being prepared etc. Most posters are quite easy to successfully predict what they write or do.

I presume you meant to say, "One does not have to...," no?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »

That's if your account is hacked ...
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 11:29:34 AM »

Right.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 11:37:23 AM »

Good morning!  To those on the Old Calendar, a Merry Christmas to you, and to those on the New, a blessed Theophany (and feast of St. John) to all.

On occasion, the subject of "who can read my PMs" arises in threads, along the lines of, "I'm sure the (insert: mods, administrators, global mods) can go through and read my PMs."  This is usually offered as an insult to the mods (insinuating that they'd do anything to try and impugn one's reputation), or as a conspiratorial volley ("they're out to get us!").

The simple answer: for the most part, we cannot.  There is no access point in the Simple Machines Forum (SMF) software for us to read anyone's PMs - the SMF developers are opposed to such access in principle (as are we), and thus made no access point. Thus, we don't have a way to snoop on your PMs, and we frankly don't want to.  We are perfectly aware that there are (and always have been) users who are dissatisfied with how the forum is run who choose to PM each other to complain, plan, etc. - generally, they or someone they communicate with is open with us about their existence.  But even in those cases, we're not interested in reading your PMs.  There are other factors (how they're organized, the sheer volume, etc.) that would deter anyone from looking into them anyway.

Two notable exceptions:

1. If someone reports your PM to us, then yes, we can read it - but only what is specifically reported to us, not others (i.e. if someone reports one harassing PM, we're not able to go back and see any history of back-and-forth, unless those were also individually reported to us).  This is included as a safe-guard against PM harassment.  Easiest way to avoid this: don't harass people (via PM, or any other means).

2. Anastasios, site owner and technical administrator, could theoretically slog through the MySQL database to find PMs.  But it wouldn't be easy or convenient.  He's the only one with server & database access and has also expressed in the past that he's not interested in snooping on people's PMs. 

So rest easy that the moderators, GMs, and Administrators have neither the access nor the inclination to read your PMs. 

God bless you Fr. George! <wave>
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »

So all of the subliminal messages I've been leaving in my PMs are going unnoticed? Figures.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 11:46:17 AM »

Anyone who attempted to read my PMs would quickly come to the realization that my secret conversations are just as boring and pointless as my regular posting.  Tongue

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 11:50:23 AM »

Freudian slip? Smiley  angel

Not sure how (or why) one would organize a coup d'etat here. Better a known evil than an unknown evil and all. (again  angel)

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:41 AM »

Two notable exceptions:

God bless you Fr. George! <wave>

+1
Many years to Fr. George!

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:55 AM »

If you gotta say something to someone and want to keep it "private", better off emailing.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 11:52:26 AM »

So all of the subliminal messages I've been leaving in my PMs are going unnoticed? Figures.

Grin

Maybe you should be less subtle.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 11:57:53 AM »

Grin

Maybe you should be less subtle.

The letters of my messages are scattered randomly throughout my PMs.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 12:03:55 PM »

If you gotta say something to someone and want to keep it "private", better off emailing.

Nowadays, I think the only sure-fire way is a face-to-face conversation in the woods (away from technology). Wink

---------------------
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 12:47:57 PM »

Nowadays, I think the only sure-fire way is a face-to-face conversation in the woods (away from technology). Wink

I prefer the desert, personally

Or in a crowded bar, where nothing will be overheard because of the sheer volume of people.

SCREW BON JOVI!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 12:58:13 PM »

I prefer the desert, personally

Or in a crowded bar, where nothing will be overheard because of the sheer volume of people.
No because the satellites can still listen in.  One wrong word and black helicopters filled with secret agents appear out of nowhere.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 01:01:54 PM »

I think Christopher Pelant has established quite well the inability to escape modern technology. Best stick to silence.

Though OT... interesting, you learning something every day, even about places you've been around for years.  angel

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 08:53:37 PM »

Not sure how (or why) one would organize a coup d'etat here. Better a known evil than an unknown evil and all. (again  angel)

Well, a couple of poster made their goal to remove me from being a mod. Their activities included spamming reports of posts by me despite them not breaking rules in most cases, discussing the issue with my former supervisors and instructing other (especially new) members about my unworthiness.

Not, that it was a deciding factor in my resignation since I personally did not care about that but it was not an argument for me in favour of remaining either.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 01:50:29 AM »

only the NSA can read our PM s.....

oh...

and God of course...

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 11:45:21 PM »

Well, a couple of poster made their goal to remove me from being a mod. Their activities included spamming reports of posts by me despite them not breaking rules in most cases, discussing the issue with my former supervisors and instructing other (especially new) members about my unworthiness.

Not, that it was a deciding factor in my resignation since I personally did not care about that but it was not an argument for me in favour of remaining either.

Well I am certainly a fan of yours Michal and I appreciate  your forcing me to reflect the 50% of the time when I disagree with you.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: