OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 06:26:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A World Cross  (Read 1332 times) Average Rating: 0
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

Jesus Christ Our Lord, King of Kings

« on: March 08, 2005, 04:48:29 AM »

Hi to all,

Pass this prayer to all; if we all say this prayer in the four corners of the earth especially at the same time, if scheduled, we can make a world cross.

The Jesus Prayer:
"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." ___________________________________________

Thou who at every season and every hour, in heaven and on earth, art worshipped and glorified; O Christ our God, who art long-suffering, merciful and compassionate; who lovest the just and showest mercy upon the sinner; who callest all to salvation through the promise of blessings to come: O Lord, in this hour receive our supplications, and direct our lives according to Thy commandments. Sanctify our souls, hallow our bodies, correct our thoughts, cleanse our minds; deliver us from all tribulations, evil and distress. Compass us about with Thy holy Angels, that guided and guarded by them, we may attain to the unity of the faith and to the knowledge of Thine unapproachable glory, for Thou art blessed unto ages of ages. Amen.

Thank you,
Hadel

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Fortunatus
Son of Antony

Faith: Orthodox

'If thou wilt be perfect...'

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 11:30:07 PM »

+Irini nem ehmot

Hey Hadel,

Are you Coptic Orthodox? The prayer you cited is the "Concuding Prayer of Every Hour" from the Coptic Horologion ("Agpeya" in Coptic). In light of this, all "corners" of the world are praying this daily, since we have Churches virtually everywhere now!

Please pray for me.

Agape,
         Fortunatus
Amen, maranatha!
"A man's life or death cometh from his neighbour; if we benefit our brother we benefit ourselves, and if we offend him we sin against God." - The Great Abba Antony
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 03:23:25 AM »

Hi,

I am Roman Orthodox and yes, I know greatly about the Coptic Orthodox and have the most respect for them. I am from Jordan originally so I understand. We all say the same prayers to our Lord, Jesus.

I will pray for you... I think we need more prayers in this time so pass it on....

Best Regards,
Hadel

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 04:35:02 AM »

Hadel,

What do you mean by Roman Orthodox? I've never heard that term used by anyone before. The only thing that I can think you might mean is that you are Eastern Orthodox, otherwise sometimes called Chalcedonian or Byzantine, as opposed to Oriental or Non-Chalcedonian. The reason I'm guessing that this is what you mean is because I know that some languages still refer to the 'Byzantines' as Romans rather than using the invented (and incorrect) western term Byzantine.

The only other option I can come up with is that you might be Romanian Orthodox (though I'm not sure how likely that might be given your Jordanian background) like me. What jurisdiction are you under?

Of course, none of this is important, I'm just curious.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 11:10:58 AM »

He is Eastern Orthodox, and he is using the literal translation of that millet's name, the meaning of which corresponds to the explanation you have just given above (Byzantine = Roman = Room).

Being Jordanian, he is under the jurisdiction of Jerusalem, but if he lives in the States, he would be most likely under that of Antioch, as Jerusalem's presence in the new continent is quite limited.

In IC XC
Samer
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 04:34:24 AM »

Hi James

Yes, I am Jordanian under the Eastern Orthodox Church in Madaba....in Arabic and I tried to translate it in English would be Roman Orthodox: the following site might help explain some what:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:3xDZ6LcnaxkJ:www.romanity.org/data/dublen.doc+Define+Roman+Orthodox+&hl=en&start=8

Thanks for your interest, James.
Regards,
Hadel

TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 11:24:01 AM »

Are you Coptic Orthodox? The prayer you cited is the "Concuding Prayer of Every Hour" from the Coptic Horologion ("Agpeya" in Coptic). In light of this, all "corners" of the world are praying this daily, since we have Churches virtually everywhere now!

Fortunatus,

This is the same prayer of the hour said toward the end of 1st, 3rd, 6th and 9th hours in the Byzantine (Eastern) Orthodox usage as well.

TonyS

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Tags: prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: