OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 02:38:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relationalships  (Read 2457 times) Average Rating: 0
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2014, 04:37:36 PM »

Jeff, I don't think being Orthodox at 18 is healthy.

I don't think that damnation at 19 is any more.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »

Yeah, I got that, Alex.  I just happen to disagree.  Seems we have different ideas about what's "healthy"....

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2014, 04:45:25 PM »

Eh?  That is just silly. You don't have to wait for a certain age before taking your faith seriously.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2014, 04:46:19 PM »

Millions have done it and turned out just fine.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2014, 04:53:35 PM »

Yeah...you gotta wonder where a statement like his is coming from....

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2014, 04:54:55 PM »

Not sure I wanna touch that bit... Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2014, 04:59:17 PM »

Not sure I wanna touch that bit... Wink

You're probably right.  Speculation about those kinds of things can get pretty, uh....what?....messy. Wink

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2014, 05:13:35 PM »

?

I wasn't Odox at 18. Nor even involved with religion.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2014, 05:19:06 PM »

?

So, is that the basis for your bad advice to JamesR??  That you weren't involved with religion, much less Orthodoxy, at 18? 

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2014, 05:22:30 PM »

I wish I could just take a break from this Orthodoxy and live with no rules for at least a couple days; that'd be nice. It's unfair that the cradles can break all the rules and sin, but we converts are expected to be perfect.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2014, 05:26:05 PM »

Who? The cradle kind who only go to Church once a year?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2014, 05:26:58 PM »

I wish I could just take a break from this Orthodoxy and live with no rules for at least a couple days; that'd be nice. It's unfair that the cradles can break all the rules and sin, but we converts are expected to be perfect.

Why can't you take a break?  Plenty of Orthodox, cradle and convert, do so, living with no rules for longer than one or two days (whether or not it's "nice").  Does your priest follow you around with a bamboo cane and beat you when you start breaking rules?  

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2014, 05:28:44 PM »

"Who" expects you to be perfect?  "What" makes you think that cradles break all the rules and sin?  "Where" is this coming from, besides the hormones of an 18 year old?

"Why" haven't you discussed these concerns with your Priest?

"How" are you going to rectify this situation?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2014, 05:28:49 PM »

?

So, is that the basis for your bad advice to JamesR??  That you weren't involved with religion, much less Orthodoxy, at 18? 
Lol I may have dodged a few bullets at 18 if I was Orthodox.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2014, 05:29:16 PM »

Why can't you take a break?  Plenty of Orthodox, cradle and convert, do so, living with no rules for longer than one or two days (whether or not it's "nice").  Does your priest follow you around with a bamboo cane and beat you when you start breaking rules?  

Well he emails me whenever I miss Church

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2014, 05:30:48 PM »

But seriously.

Here's what doesn't make sense to me. JamesR unfourtantley found Orthodoxy at age 16 or 15...and some of us have had tons of fun during our late teens and twenties but we found religion later on.

But now its all honky dory cause we can just repent...well actually get baptized before that.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2014, 05:31:05 PM »

Shiny has got a point here. Why should anyone be in a rush to convert to Orthodoxy?

If the parable of the Prodigal Son tells us anything, it's that people who work hard their entire life to do what's right are not going to get crap in the end--except maybe some vain existential promise or something--whereas the obstinate who return at the very last minute will get a huge banquet with everything.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2014, 05:31:18 PM »

You can.  The only one stopping you is you.  You know...that old "free will" and "choice" and "consequences" conundrum.  Did you know it is just as much an affront to God, if not more so, to consciously, purposely sin saying to yourself, "hey...it's okay, cuz I can go to confession and get absolved and not jeopardize my salvation" as it is to just sin in the "normal" course of events??  What if, God forbid, you died before you had a chance to contact your priest to say, "Break's over.  I'm ready now..."?

What makes you think it's "okay" for cradles to break rules and sin any more than converts?  Because, you know...it ain't.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:34:31 PM by J Michael » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2014, 05:31:50 PM »

You don't know why those "cradle kind" go to Church once a year.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2014, 05:35:45 PM »

No. The cradle kind who go to church at least once a week. My classes were full of that kind of teenagers. I don't call it Sunday school because it was actually held on Saturday morning after liturgy, but the fact remains that we turned up, week after week, and not five minutes in advance.

Your experiences are far from universal.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2014, 05:35:56 PM »

Shiny has got a point here. Why should anyone be in a rush to convert to Orthodoxy?

If the parable of the Prodigal Son tells us anything, it's that people who work hard their entire life to do what's right are not going to get crap in the end--except maybe some vain existential promise or something--whereas the obstinate who return at the very last minute will get a huge banquet with everything.
Exactly.

It seems wholly unfair.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2014, 05:36:41 PM »

Well he emails me whenever I miss Church

OK.  So when you miss church, he writes about how you were wrong not to show up, how you committed a sin, that God's going to punish you because his patience for converts is limited (unlike his patience with converts), that when he sees you next he's going to slap you and prohibit you from communing for a few weeks, etc., etc., right?  

Or could he just be concerned about you?  Perhaps he emails others too, or calls them, or otherwise reaches out to them, whether or not you know about it?  

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2014, 05:37:13 PM »

Exactly.

It seems wholly unfair.

Yeah...life's unfair.  Get over it.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2014, 05:37:56 PM »

No. The cradle kind who go to church at least once a week. My classes were full of that kind of teenagers.

Okay, rephrase it this way: how many of them were there because they had an Orthodox family or grandma forcing them to?

I got no one to tell me to go to Church or fast with me or to remind me to pray the Hours. It's all on me. Take away those teenagers' Orthodox family and put them in my shoes and I guarantee you that you'll lose 90% of them.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2014, 05:38:59 PM »

Exactly.

It seems wholly unfair.

Yeah...life's unfair.  Get over it.
Not for everyone though. Thats the point.

Why do certain people suffer more than others?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2014, 05:39:30 PM »

No. The cradle kind who go to church at least once a week. My classes were full of that kind of teenagers.

Okay, rephrase it this way: how many of them were there because they had an Orthodox family or grandma forcing them to?

I got no one to tell me to go to Church or fast with me or to remind me to pray the Hours. It's all on me. Take away those teenagers' Orthodox family and put them in my shoes and I guarantee you that you'll lose 90% of them.
Or out of cultural/ethnic identification.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2014, 05:39:57 PM »

Exactly.

It seems wholly unfair.

If you really believe that, why talk so much about how unfair it is and instead just give it up?  After all, it's Jesus' own story, with Jesus' own interpretation.  If it's unfair, then why waste time on Jesus?  

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #162 on: January 10, 2014, 05:44:24 PM »

Basically James if you decide to get married, make sure you have a pre-nup.

Definitely doing that.

It's not fair how a woman can marry a man, make him give her two or three children, then gain weight, complain, spend all his money, refuse to cook anymore, and then divorce him and take half his stuff.

I'm only giving her what she gives me. I'll give a woman my all only if she gives me her all.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2014, 05:45:09 PM »

lol, James with a pre-nup.

Does James have a great amount of wealth that needs to be protected?  My impression was the girl was coming in with all the money.  If that's the case, you don't want a pre-nup. Get that split 50/50.  Cheesy
James has a heart of gold. So absolutely that needs to be on there.

That really means very much; thank you Shiny.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2014, 05:46:19 PM »

Do the best you can and don't worry about what other people are doing (or not doing). 
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2014, 05:47:38 PM »

It would be tragic if he got married to his first real girlfriend outside of school

Yeah that's something I have to be careful of. I've never been in a serious relationship so I don't want to take it too fast and somehow screw myself over the first time she says "I love you" and it toys with my bizarre, JamesR heart.

...Some will want to harm him.

And have. I need to learn to be meaner.

Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: I don't mean to brag but...
Jurisdiction: I've been in an Antiochian church.

My grandfather's uncle, Boris Half-Ear

« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2014, 05:50:08 PM »

Exactly.

It seems wholly unfair.

If you really believe that, why talk so much about how unfair it is and instead just give it up?  After all, it's Jesus' own story, with Jesus' own interpretation.  If it's unfair, then why waste time on Jesus?  

"Jesus is my hero but his rules are unfair."

I've heard that one too many times.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2014, 05:50:49 PM »

Finance 101: Don't give guarantees on things you don't have the foggiest idea about.

And please, stop embarrassing yourself with spouting stupidity. What non-Orthodox kid would attend Orthodox Sunday school? We all came from Orthodox families. You know, the cradles who attended church once a year. Tongue

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2014, 05:52:54 PM »

What non-Orthodox kid would attend Orthodox Sunday school?

I did as a catechumen

We all came from Orthodox families. You know, the cradles who attended church once a year. Tongue

Sounds like you fellows had it pretty easy then.

But fellows like me and Shiny had to work to have what you have and we're still regarded as second-class by the Greek elitists and have to carry a heavier burden.

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2014, 05:53:18 PM »

Has your priest advised to you do all that, or are you undertaking it all because you feel that you should? I'm not saying you should become an atheist or go crazy and sleep with a bunch of girls, but perhaps rest from some of your efforts could be beneficial.  I doubt being resentful while praying the hours or fasting provides much spiritual benefit. If anything, it just encourages legalism.  But then, I'm not a spiritual guide, so it would probably be best to discuss with your priest.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2014, 05:54:30 PM »

But fellows like me and Shiny had to work to have what you have and we're still regarded as second-class by the Greek elitists and have to carry a heavier burden.

What exactly do we have that you don't?

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2014, 05:55:08 PM »

But seriously,

This thing about having fun at 18 and in your early 20s and college life and all, it's VERY foreign to me.

Where I come from, everyone was having kids and "growing up" (or at least trying to) at the age of 16-18. No one goes to college and there is no such thing as "having fun" and "being a kid" in your late teens/early twenties.

My mom herself had me at 15.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2014, 05:58:20 PM »

How about an Orthodox family that helps you practice your faith and encourages you? Now compare this to me and Shiny where we come from non-Orthodox families who are often hostile, or at least virtually uninvolved, in our religious lives and thus we are left to do it all on our own. And oftentimes, doing it on our own also means doing it in a hostile environment.

But we're still treated like crap. The EP hates our guts.

Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: I don't mean to brag but...
Jurisdiction: I've been in an Antiochian church.

My grandfather's uncle, Boris Half-Ear

« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2014, 05:59:48 PM »

How about an Orthodox family that helps you practice your faith and encourages you?

The same one that breaks all the rules?

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »

If you really believe that, why talk so much about how unfair it is and instead just give it up?

Because then I'd be like the cradles.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2014, 06:00:56 PM »

How about an Orthodox family that helps you practice your faith and encourages you?

Yep; the one that, in the very least, isn't hostile toward your faith and is at least culturally Orthodox. Try living in the home of American Evangelicals and you'll get it.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2014, 06:03:59 PM »

Or in the other case, many of you have a really strong Orthodox family and you're able to just ride on their prestige and not have to do anything on your own.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2014, 06:05:02 PM »

If you really believe that, why talk so much about how unfair it is and instead just give it up?

Because then I'd be like the cradles.

But I thought you wanted to live like them.  Is it now beneath you to live like them?  

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2014, 06:06:02 PM »

Finance 101: Don't give guarantees on things you don't have the foggiest idea about.

And please, stop embarrassing yourself with spouting stupidity. What non-Orthodox kid would attend Orthodox Sunday school? We all came from Orthodox families. You know, the cradles who attended church once a year. Tongue
What would you know about finance?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2014, 06:06:28 PM »

How about an Orthodox family that helps you practice your faith and encourages you? Now compare this to me and Shiny where we come from non-Orthodox families who are often hostile, or at least virtually uninvolved, in our religious lives and thus we are left to do it all on our own. And oftentimes, doing it on our own also means doing it in a hostile environment.

But we're still treated like crap. The EP hates our guts.

Last I checked, you're not under the EP, so...

Look, James, this is not a more-downtrodden-than-thou contest. Straighten up and fly right, or give up and live without rules. Just quit whining and sniveling like a toddler who isn't getting his way.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: