OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:19:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relationalships  (Read 2246 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« on: January 03, 2014, 11:12:02 PM »

While in a relationship with a significant other, what would make you think it'll work out long term, and what would make you think it wouldn't work out long term?

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 11:37:46 PM »

--Subscribed-- 

Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 10:11:34 AM »

While in a relationship with a significant other, what would make you think it'll work out long term
Love

and what would make you think it wouldn't work out long term?
Hate

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »

While in a relationship with a significant other, what would make you think it'll work out long term, and what would make you think it wouldn't work out long term?

I suppose the very fact that you're in a relationship means that you'll think it will work out in the long term. If you wouldn't, why bother with it?

On a OC.net diet.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 10:29:09 AM »

While in a relationship with a significant other, what would make you think it'll work out long term
Love

Hate

What are those?

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 10:33:54 AM »

Love

Hate

What are those?
Love: the willingness to give, to sacrifice, one's life (time, energy, actions)  for the beloved.

Hate: the inability to love

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 10:34:13 AM »

I suppose the very fact that you're in a relationship means that you'll think it will work out in the long term.

For most people I've met, sex, financial stability, companionship, entertainment, etc. are reason enough to get into a relationship with someone, and even stay in that relationship even if there is doubt as to it working out long term. Whether those things are good enough reasons to stay with someone for decades is another matter; It seems to me like they aren't, for the most part, but maybe they are? I guess that's what I'm asking about...

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 10:35:42 AM »

It will work out long term only if both sides are willing to put in the necessary work and commitment. If only one is willing to do that, the relationship will fail.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Jovan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »

I would say commitmet in the souls of him/her. Even in your faith towards God the relationship can sometimes seem dead. Still we commit ourselves to our Lord because we know that he stays true to his word and promises.

Long term - commitment in every way towards your partner.

Short term - more commitment to something else than your partner. Often towards a wrong concept of love.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:12:21 PM by Jovan » Logged

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 03:25:41 PM »

I would say commitmet in the souls of him/her. Even in your faith towards God the relationship can sometimes seem dead. Still we commit ourselves to our Lord because we know that he stays true to his word and promises.

Long term - commitment in every way towards your partner.

Short term - more commitment to something else than your partner. Often towards a wrong concept of love.

+1

Every marriage goes through stuff - it's the one's that are committed that decide to work through it instead of escape from it.

Kindness is important.  Giving the benefit of the doubt and the ability to trust for the best motives instead of accusing for the worst is also very important. 
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 03:38:52 PM »

Similar kind of lifestyle, complete trust, being able to talk about everything and sex. Love is overrated. Kiss
Jovan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »

I don't know now but a Saint or Priest once said that a question that a couple always should live by is: Who can humble oneself more before the other?

I think it is a good advice Smiley

Pray for me and forgive me a sinner

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 09:22:43 PM »

what would make you think it'll work out long term,
Unselfishness.

what would make you think it wouldn't work out long term?

Selfishness.

That's about it , really.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 09:31:37 PM »

People are speaking of love, unselfishness, etc. Here's the problem I'm having here: shouldn't these be universal? Shouldn't these be things you seek to have in every relationship?

Are you saying that we are selfish, or unloving, or whatever, for a while, and then suddenly we realize we are finally unselfish or loving, and that's how we know this is the one? But that seems like a rather unsatisfying to go through life, doesn't it? But perhaps this is human nature, fallen or otherwise?

Or, on the other hand, are you saying that we should always try to be unselfish, loving, etc.? But if that's the case, how does that help in determining whether someone we are with is "the one" and who we should intend to spend our lives with? How is the unselfishness or love we have in the significant-other/dating/etc. relationship currently in differ from the unselfishness, loving (sacrificial, etc.) way we relate to others?

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 09:36:59 PM »

Tenacity.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 09:43:24 PM »

People are speaking of love, unselfishness, etc. Here's the problem I'm having here: shouldn't these be universal? Shouldn't these be things you seek to have in every relationship?

Are you saying that we are selfish, or unloving, or whatever, for a while, and then suddenly we realize we are finally unselfish or loving, and that's how we know this is the one? But that seems like a rather unsatisfying to go through life, doesn't it? But perhaps this is human nature, fallen or otherwise?

Or, on the other hand, are you saying that we should always try to be unselfish, loving, etc.? But if that's the case, how does that help in determining whether someone we are with is "the one" and who we should intend to spend our lives with? How is the unselfishness or love we have in the significant-other/dating/etc. relationship currently in differ from the unselfishness, loving (sacrificial, etc.) way we relate to others?
I might act unselfishly toward lots of people (theoretically), but that doesn't mean I would want to live, sleep, have children, etc., with them. If you're asking how does one know -- in the very earliest stages of a relationship -- if someone is 'the one', then I would have to say that if someone is 'the one', then you *might* know it the first time you see the person in person. It might be a flash of recognition, of 'coming home', so to speak. But that 'flash' is just the beginning; the rest of journey would (probably) require transcending one's 'normal' selfish tendencies that would inevitably re-assert themselves eventually.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 10:13:35 PM »

Conversation and comfort around each other; no need to put on a false facade and just a natural spark between us.

Clingy, thinks she's a queen, behaves like my mother, wants a huge amount of children.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 10:14:28 PM »

Conversation and comfort around each other; no need to put on a false facade and just a natural spark between us.

Clingy, thinks she's a queen, behaves like my mother, wants a huge amount of children.
At some point, the first one turns into the second one.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 10:58:18 PM »

You beat me to it, sir! 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 08:11:48 PM »

Hush, you.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 08:36:03 PM »

What the dickens is a "significant other"? This has to be the most ludicrous 'label' or euphemism I've come across in while.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 08:55:15 PM »

What the dickens is a "significant other"? This has to be the most ludicrous 'label' or euphemism I've come across in while.

It's a gender neutral term. I assume Asteriktos used it so his question could be directed to both men and women, instead of asking, "When in a relationship with a girl," or "man".

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 09:08:28 PM »

It's a gender neutral term. I assume Asteriktos used it so his question could be directed to both men and women, instead of asking, "When in a relationship with a girl," or "man".

My thanks for your explaining this clumsy and unattractive label. If people are so clever as to feel 'gender neutral' terms have a purpose, you might think they would come up with something that made the object of the term sound  special, valued or loved. My vacuum cleaner sounds more special than a 'significant other'.

Being so referred to would in itself be grounds for 'parting company', I venture.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 09:15:04 PM »

Significant other is a fairly common term nowadays, for better or worse. It perhaps could have been avoided in this particular thread, where the main reason for it's use is what ZZ mentioned. However, in other conversations it also helps avoid the usage of many other categories/terms: gay or straight, dating or engaged or married, male or female, etc. are all covered under the one term. I thought of using something along the lines of "an intimate relationship," but then that might be thought to require some sexual component, which I didn't intend to be necessary. Anyway... Smiley

Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 09:21:03 PM »

Significant other is a fairly common term nowadays, for better or worse. It perhaps could have been avoided in this particular thread, where the main reason for it's use is what ZZ mentioned. However, in other conversations it also helps avoid the usage of many other categories/terms: gay or straight, dating or engaged or married, male or female, etc. are all covered under the one term. I thought of using something along the lines of "an intimate relationship," but then that might be thought to require some sexual component, which I didn't intend to be necessary. Anyway... Smiley

Common, yes. Elegant, no. Gender neutral is a concept I'll skip. Life's too short to keep up with PC terminology. But thank you for your explanation and Happy New Year.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 09:32:19 PM »

I knew this one Asian girl named Naomi since 7th grade. Was absolutely perfect now that I think about it. On top of her physical beauty and extremely glamorous nature (she spends hours doing her makeup, very creative), she hated children just like me and didn't want any, was crazy obsessed with education, not like these traditional girls who want to trap you with children, we had a perfect spark between each other where we could literally spend hours upon hours every day just talking to each other and hanging out, laughing. Similar senses of humor, common values, perfect conversation etc. In retrospect, now that I think about it, she's one of the few females I really trust. She was quite the sophisticated character as well, being that she's an orphan from China that was adopted by a Japanese-American Protestant pastor who was actually my father's co-worker for a few years (which is how I met Naomi). We both know what it's like to experience pain.

Only problem was, her father absolutely hates me because him and my father had some workplace quarrels a few years back that haven't been resolved. I don't know if it's an Asian culture thing or something, but the girl Naomi won't date me because she doesn't want to disobey her father who disapproves of me, which, I find odd being that she's 18 already.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 09:48:01 PM »

On top of her physical beauty and extremely glamorous nature (she spends hours doing her makeup, very creative),

This should be a red flag for you.

these traditional girls who want to trap you with children

Stop.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 09:53:11 PM »

...where the main reason for it's use is...

No apostrophe, Justin. Learn up.

But happy new year to you as well, Santagranddad.   Hey, wait a second... Santa... ?  police  angel

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 11:00:15 PM »

On top of her physical beauty and extremely glamorous nature (she spends hours doing her makeup, very creative),

Why? I like a glamorous woman. She's rather cultured, always dressing formal, eating seafood, spent a semester as an exchange student in Japan.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 11:55:38 PM »

Why? I like a glamorous woman. She's rather cultured, always dressing formal, eating seafood, spent a semester as an exchange student in Japan.
Sounds expensive to me.  Never marry an expensive woman.  All that money is gonna come from somewhere and when you are married, that somewhere is you.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 11:57:49 PM »

Sounds expensive to me.  Never marry an expensive woman.  All that money is gonna come from somewhere and when you are married, that somewhere is you.

To be fair, she's an only child (adopted from China) and her parents are pretty well-off and they're in their 60s. If we ever got married, we'd inherit a fortune when they died.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 12:30:21 AM »

If it takes hours to do her makeup, then I wonder what she looks like without it. And with it, for that matter... And there's probably a good chance she's either vain or insecure, maybe both.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 01:55:59 AM »

I don't know if it's an Asian culture thing or something, but the girl Naomi won't date me because she doesn't want to disobey her father who disapproves of me, which, I find odd being that she's 18 already.

You've not worth being disowned for. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 02:14:40 AM »

That she would date me.

That should would date me.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014, 02:25:54 AM »

To be fair, she's an only child (adopted from China) and her parents are pretty well-off and they're in their 60s. If we ever got married, we'd inherit a fortune when they died.

Another red flag.  This time though, it's for her.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 03:21:01 AM »

If the two truly like each other, it would probably help to determine their common goal and commit to it, instead of sort of expecting things to just work.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:21:50 AM by IoanC » Logged
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 03:25:32 AM »

Is our James a gold digger? angel

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 03:27:05 AM »

That she would date me.

I know what you mean...  Undecided

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 03:52:23 AM »

Post edited on request.

-Cyrillic
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:25:22 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 05:34:31 AM »

If the two truly like each other, it would probably help to determine their common goal and commit to it, instead of sort of expecting things to just work.

So, let me re-phrase to better address the topic. First condition is whether they truly like each other. It's the only condition that the relationship will last and even exist, even though couples do exist and last even if they don't like each other. That's insane.

Second condition would be to determine what they share in common and the goal of the relationship and commit to it together. It's fairly common that people sort of just go with the flow, but this can cause the relationship to be caught unprepared and challenged by various negative things that come up over time.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 05:35:12 AM by IoanC » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 06:35:23 AM »

If it takes hours to do her makeup, then I wonder what she looks like without it. And with it, for that matter... And there's probably a good chance she's either vain or insecure, maybe both.
Post edited on request.

-Cyrillic

Whenever she types her Facebook url into Google there'll be a link to this thread. It might take a few days for Google to index this thread.

+1
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:26:21 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 06:40:50 AM »

That she would date me.

I know what you mean...  Undecided

You two make me sad  Sad

On a OC.net diet.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 06:42:45 AM »

Cyrillic: Sorry. If it makes you feel any better, my awful typo/brain lapse in that post makes me feel probably even sadder than you do.

JamesR: I know this isn't the "Share your racism" thread, and I'm not trying to be clever, but seriously...which one is she in her cover photo? Embarrassed

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2014, 11:03:30 AM »

Post edited on request.

-Cyrillic

Why would you do this? 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:26:51 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 11:27:20 AM »

Post edited on request.

-Cyrillic

Why would you do this? 
It's James.  Nuff said.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:27:17 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: