Author Topic: Eastern Orthodoxy in the Ottoman Empire  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Sirach

• Elder
  • Just trying to learn something.
Eastern Orthodoxy in the Ottoman Empire
« on: January 03, 2014, 02:36:19 PM »
I would like to know more about the history of Eastern Orthodoxy during the time of the Ottoman Empire.

What books would you recommend?

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Eastern Orthodoxy in the Ottoman Empire
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 02:56:55 PM »
The Legacy of Jihad: Non-Muslims under Islam by Andrew Bostom M.D. has some articles about Orthodox Christians, mainly primary sources I own it, there are a few articles translated from Turkish and Greek in it.

The Decline of Eastern Christianity Under Islam: From Jihad to Dhimmitude: Seventh-Twentieth Century by Bat Ye'or, I haven't read it but the title is very helpful; also probably filled with primary sources, I think I saw it at Google Books once. I think this book is closer to the subject matter that you are looking for.

I also know that St. Gregory Palamas operated under the Ottomans, if that helps.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:11:09 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 11:21:34 PM »
For history books in English dealing specifically with the Rum or the Orthodox millet, I'd start with Sir Steven Runciman.  For an historian he is eminently readable as well.  Wouldn't suggest Gibbons or his strain of historiography which was pretty dismissive of Eastern Orthodox.   There generally is a lot more and better quality history on Byzantium in general, but specifically dealing with just Eastern Orthodoxy, and in English, I don't know of anything else.   

The Great Church in Captivity

Probably in Greek scholarship there is a lot more available and their history departments are probably not endowed by Turkish funds as was discovered to be the case with some American universities.  The Turkish government denies the genocides perpetrated on Christian millets, which inspired Hitler to believe he could also commit genocide and the world would never notice.  That era of the Young Turks is a topic unto itself.   

There is still a lot of political wrangling from Turkey about the issue even to this day, and they vehemently deny that anything bad happened though there is a lot of evidence that they meet the legal definition of genocide set forth by the United Nations. 

Ironically, the genocide in Turkey was America's first grass roots foray into international human rights issues on behalf of the Armenians and Greeks.

A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline Sirach

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 11:56:25 AM »
Thank you both.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:11:08 PM »
The Legacy of Jihad: Non-Muslims under Islam by Andrew Bostom M.D. has some articles about Orthodox Christians, mainly primary sources I own it, there are a few articles translated from Turkish and Greek in it.

The Decline of Eastern Christianity Under Islam: From Jihad to Dhimmitude: Seventh-Twentieth Century by Bat Ye'or, I haven't read it but the title is very helpful; also probably filled with primary sources, I think I saw it at Google Books once. I think this book is closer to the subject matter that you are looking for.

I also know that St. Gregory Palamas operated under the Ottomans, if that helps.
I know he was abducted by them for a while.

In terms of general works, on Palestine and Syria "The Russian Presence in Syria and Palestine, 1843-1914: Church and Politics in the Near East" [Derek Hopwood] gives a good picture of the later period.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:13:50 PM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Nektarios_In_E.S.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 01:49:30 PM »
"Witnesses for Christ" by Nomikos Vaporis

Description:
"A masterful study of almost two hundred Orthodox Christians who had to choose between conversion to Islam and death. This book focuses on the clash between Orthodox and Islamic cultures, illustrating how the Ottoman Muslims became decreasingly tolerant of Orthodox Christians as their empire declined. Includes many translations of the dialogues between the Neomartyrs and the Muslim judges who sentenced them to death."

http://www.light-n-life.com/witnesses-for-christ.html

Online Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Mt. Lathos
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »
I have read part of this book and would definitely recommend it.
"Verily they that seek Thee, Lord, and keep the canons of Thy Holy Church shall never want any good thing.”
St. John the Merciful

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 02:23:47 PM »
Is there any more recent scholarship out there?
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline Samn!

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 02:43:54 PM »

The most recent and most comprehensive book on Orthodox under the Ottomans up to 1831 is Constantine Panchenko's book Ближневосточное Православие под османским владычеством. Первые три столетия. 1516–1831 (Near Eastern Orthodoxy under Ottoman Rule: The First Three Centuries 1516-1831). It is currently being translated into English, but until the translation comes out, the table of contents is available here: http://indrik.ru/2012/panchenko-k-a-blizhnevostochnoe-pravoslavie-pod-osmanskim-vlady-chestvom-pervye-tri-stoletiya-1516-1831

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 02:59:12 PM »

The most recent and most comprehensive book on Orthodox under the Ottomans up to 1831 is Constantine Panchenko's book Ближневосточное Православие под османским владычеством. Первые три столетия. 1516–1831 (Near Eastern Orthodoxy under Ottoman Rule: The First Three Centuries 1516-1831). It is currently being translated into English, but until the translation comes out, the table of contents is available here: http://indrik.ru/2012/panchenko-k-a-blizhnevostochnoe-pravoslavie-pod-osmanskim-vlady-chestvom-pervye-tri-stoletiya-1516-1831

Thanks! If only my Russian were good enough. So much scholarship on Orthodox topics is not in English.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 03:10:08 PM »

So you understand English, Arabic and Russian. Congratulations. You could probably cope up with these anywhere in the World.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Sirach

• Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 10:52:40 PM »
Thanks for the additional citations.