Author Topic: Dynamic California parish shows benefits of a viable alternative structure  (Read 845 times)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
With his knit shirt and tan slacks, Steve Mullin could not be mistaken for any other than the layman he is. But he is a layman like only a few hundred others in the American church. As the parish life director of All Saints [Catholic Church] in Hayward, Calif., his name is atop those of the two assigned priests in that weekly bulletin...and his is the message on the opening page they read each week. If you ask any All Saints parishioner who their pastor is, it is Mullin, married and the father of four children.
There are two [priests] assigned to All Saints, but, in effect, they are responsible to Mullin, not the other way around.

"I love it," says Fr. Filiberto Barrera, who was recently assigned to the parish after serving as parochial administrator at the huge St. Cornelius Parish in Richmond. "Here I get to be priest full time. I have time to read. I don't have to worry about the roofers, who is going to paint the church or who has the keys for the storeroom."
Although bishops who did appoint parish life coordinators have generally expressed satisfaction with their performance, few dioceses have appointed more, even as parishes close and priests take on multiple parishes.

Do Orthodox churches in the U.S. have 'parish life coordinators', or is the need for them non-existent?
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Nice Aztec Intercultural Mass.

Offline username!

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
we have parish councils.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Silly Catholics. Stop trying to be relevant. You can't beat Anglicans.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline username!

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
Let me answer this. Yes, we have parish councils. In many parishes they run the day to day "stuff" in the church. If the window in the rectory breaks, they fix it. They organise most of the parish events such as a fundraiser or sunday school.  The parish pays the priest's salaries in many many churches here.  They can hire/fire priests. They often pay for the priest's rectory and his utilities. How is that for a comparison?

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
They can hire/fire priests.
What's the bishop's role in this?
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.