OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 01:13:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Merelotz Hokehankisd  (Read 1024 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: January 02, 2014, 02:19:03 AM »

I'm deciding which day to go to church next week, and Tuesday is Merelotz Hokehankisd.  What is this?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
raffisx

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Church

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 02:40:58 AM »

With blessing .

Its funeral procession in the Armenian Church. translated ( restful soul of the departed )

funeral customs ethics of honoring the memory of the deceased has been preserved in Armenia. The ceremonies are arranged on the day of funeral, the next day, on the 7th day, the 40th day and the anniversary of death.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 02:44:10 AM by raffisx » Logged
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 03:01:15 AM »

With blessing .

Its funeral procession in the Armenian Church. translated ( restful soul of the departed )

funeral customs ethics of honoring the memory of the deceased has been preserved in Armenia. The ceremonies are arranged on the day of funeral, the next day, on the 7th day, the 40th day and the anniversary of death.
So why is this listed in the schedule of Christmas services?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:11:29 AM »

There is an old custom of remembering the dead on the day after major holy days.  That may be what that is about.  You may want to call the church office and ask.  I would be interested in knowing what the answer is.  

Of course, the best day to go to church next week would be Monday, which is Christmas.   Smiley
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:12:50 AM by Salpy » Logged

Aram
Elder

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 07:59:17 PM »

Merelotz services are ordinarily a liturgy followed by Hokehankisd, and are customarily held the day after one of the five major feast days. While most Hokehankisd prayers are usually offered in conjunction with death dates or name days, people usually offer prayers for everyone at Merelotz services, regardless of when they died. Since Christmas is on Monday, Merelotz is on Tuesday. Unfortunately, many parishes no longer bother doing it.

I went to a Merelotz liturgy in Jerusalem, and the reading of names at the end took about a half hour.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »

The local parish seems to include the memorial prayers after the Liturgy on Sundays, rather than devoting a separate Liturgy on another day just for this purpose.  Maybe they don't do that on Christmas after the Liturgy, but there doesn't seem to be anything going on the next day, so who knows. 

Related to Christmas, though it is probably better in a separate topic, it seems the local diocese has ordered that, since Christmas is on a Monday, Sunday morning Liturgy be cancelled since it will be celebrated later that day as part of the Christmas Eve services.  Is that really traditional Armenian practice?  I can't imagine the canceling of Sunday morning Liturgy to be canonical in any way whatsoever barring some major emergency.  I remember serving Sunday morning Liturgy, eating breakfast, and then resuming fasting again for a Liturgy later that evening, but canceling the morning Liturgy was always out of the question.     

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Aram
Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 08:52:26 PM »

The local parish seems to include the memorial prayers after the Liturgy on Sundays, rather than devoting a separate Liturgy on another day just for this purpose.  Maybe they don't do that on Christmas after the Liturgy, but there doesn't seem to be anything going on the next day, so who knows.
That's how a lot of parishes just end up doing it, if they offer Hokehankisd at all on a feast day. My home parish hasn't done Merelotz in decades.

Related to Christmas, though it is probably better in a separate topic, it seems the local diocese has ordered that, since Christmas is on a Monday, Sunday morning Liturgy be cancelled since it will be celebrated later that day as part of the Christmas Eve services.  Is that really traditional Armenian practice?  I can't imagine the canceling of Sunday morning Liturgy to be canonical in any way whatsoever barring some major emergency.  I remember serving Sunday morning Liturgy, eating breakfast, and then resuming fasting again for a Liturgy later that evening, but canceling the morning Liturgy was always out of the question.      
You can only hold one liturgy per altar per day, per Armenian practice. Most parishes only have one altar, so they can't do a morning AND evening liturgy. But you're on to something, maybe it's just because I can't remember Christmas on a Monday, but this year, all the parishes in the Eastern Diocese I know of are doing the Jashou liturgy (basically a liturgy without the Eucharistic component) later in the morning on Sunday, then the normal Christmas Eve readings and liturgy in the evening. But I don't see it as canceling services. There's still a Sunday Eucharistic liturgy, it's just not in the morning. It's a corrective towards doing things the right way.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 09:04:31 PM by Aram » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 09:57:17 PM »

You can only hold one liturgy per altar per day, per Armenian practice. Most parishes only have one altar, so they can't do a morning AND evening liturgy. But you're on to something, maybe it's just because I can't remember Christmas on a Monday, but this year, all the parishes in the Eastern Diocese I know of are doing the Jashou liturgy (basically a liturgy without the Eucharistic component) later in the morning on Sunday, then the normal Christmas Eve readings and liturgy in the evening. But I don't see it as canceling services. There's still a Sunday Eucharistic liturgy, it's just not in the morning. It's a corrective towards doing things the right way.

We have the same rule regarding the Liturgy: once a day per altar per priest, so if you don't have multiple priests and multiple altars, you're stuck with one Liturgy for the day.  But for us, the day begins and ends in the evening.  So you can have a Sunday morning Liturgy and a Sunday evening Liturgy because the evening Liturgy is technically for Monday--but you wouldn't be able to have a Monday morning Liturgy without an additional altar and priest.  Is it not so for you? 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 05:24:01 PM »

yes, that is what i was thinking, the evening liturgy usually finishes near midnight, so it's really the next day's liturgy.

but

HAPPY CHRISTMAS to all armenians and people on the old calendar!
 Smiley
yay, gonna spend beautiful time in prayer and gonna eat nice food!

(and then be at work 8am next day....  Cry )
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 08:18:18 PM »

How long does Merelotz Hokehankisd last?

I attended another parish's liturgy and Christmas service today, and have a hair appointment tomorrow.

Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 09:21:32 PM »

I attended another parish's liturgy and Christmas service today, and have a hair appointment tomorrow.
Actually, I just rescheduled, but if you know how long that service lasts, I am curious.

And while we are on the topic of Christmas, why the stickers that say "Christ is born and revealed"? Protestant churches don't do that, so I wonder if there is some tradition behind it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:27:42 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Aram
Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 03:42:44 PM »

Normal liturgy time plus about 10-15 minutes at most for Hokehankist.
Aram
Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 03:44:52 PM »

Actually, I just rescheduled, but if you know how long that service lasts, I am curious.

And while we are on the topic of Christmas, why the stickers that say "Christ is born and revealed"? Protestant churches don't do that, so I wonder if there is some tradition behind it.
Stickers? Are you talking about what you get when you give your Yughakin donation for Christmas? My home parish always did little red ribbons pinned to your lapel.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 01:49:40 AM »

I think I know what she's talking about, as my parish does it too.

They get those sticker label sheets that can be used with a computer and printer, and put on them a picture of St. Mary with Christ, with the Christmas greeting on it.  The sticker labels are maybe a couple of inches wide and a few inches long.  When someone walks into the narthex on Christmas day, a kid from the ACYO puts a sticker on the person's lapel, or blouse.

I think the red ribbon you are talking about is the traditional way.  The sticker labels are the modern, cutting edge, 21st century take on the custom.   Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: