OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 06:38:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One Year Old and Icon  (Read 698 times) Average Rating: 0
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« on: December 31, 2013, 09:40:47 AM »

Last night, my one year old walked over to our window sill, grabbed the icon of St. Cecilia, placed it on the floor, got down on both knees and bent over and kissed it, then scampered off to chew on something. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised being that he is baptized/chrismated and communes at every liturgy, but it just took us by surprise. It was very heartwarming, so I thought I'd share Smiley

Anyone else with children have similar experiences?
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:33:34 AM »

Last night, my one year old walked over to our window sill, grabbed the icon of St. Cecilia, placed it on the floor, got down on both knees and bent over and kissed it, then scampered off to chew on something. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised being that he is baptized/chrismated and communes at every liturgy, but it just took us by surprise. It was very heartwarming, so I thought I'd share Smiley

Anyone else with children have similar experiences?

Not my kids, but two stories worth retelling:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,52627.msg964949.html#msg964949

A memorial service at the church I attend was to be held for an anniversary of the death of a very close relative. Family and friends turned up for it, including a woman of Italian stock, with her two-year-old. The little guy regularly attended RC mass with his parents, their 1970s church is plain and modern inside, with the obligatory crosses, crucifixes, and statues of the Virgin and Jesus.

The Orthodox church where the memorial was being held is utterly different to that family's parish church. Though the buildings are about the same age, the Orthodox one is highly authentic in its historic architecture, and its internal walls, pillars and ceiling are fully painted with traditional-style icons. Dozens of portable icons also hang on the lower sections of the walls. The tot had never set foot in an Orthodox church before, and he was wide-eyed at the spectacle, gazing everywhere, and going from icon to icon. His little voice, soft but clear, could be heard from time to time. "Gesu!" at this icon of Christ. "Mama Gesu!" at that icon of the Mother of God. He did a lap of the nave, recognizing Christ and His Mother as he went.

He toddled back to his mom, who was standing near me, and next to a large and very beautiful icon of the Mother of God of Tenderness. The little fellow gazed for quite some time at the icon. He turned to his mom, and said: "Mama Gesu. Love."

There wasn't a dry eye in the house.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,52627.msg962714.html#msg962714

There's a young couple that comes very regularly to church, with their little daughter, who's probably not yet two. As cute as they come, and, while she wanders around church as little ones often do, she's always quiet and never disruptive. Last Sunday, there she was, in a pink hooded coat and bright red boots. I spotted her standing in front of the central icon stand.

She was trying to cross herself. She was getting it all wrong, but the concentration in her little face, and the pauses she took before touching her fingers to her forehead, or shoulders, or chest were proof that It Didn't Matter. Then, after a couple of minutes of "crossing" herself, the next step was to venerate the icon. Which was a good foot above her head. No problem. The little sweetie simply leaned forward, and kissed the drape on the icon stand. She bowed her head, then trotted off to where her father was standing.

I'm sure the Mother of God, and all the saints and angels must have been smiling as they looked on.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:47:58 AM »

Great stories!
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 05:46:52 PM »

hope u also commune with him, kids love to be like their parents as they get older and will copy you...
(just in case you are from a 'not communing often' church)

also thanks for beautiful story.
 Smiley
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 05:49:57 PM »

Last night, my one year old walked over to our window sill, grabbed the icon of St. Cecilia, placed it on the floor, got down on both knees and bent over and kissed it, then scampered off to chew on something.

My favourite part of the story!

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Sleeper
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »

hope u also commune with him, kids love to be like their parents as they get older and will copy you...
(just in case you are from a 'not communing often' church)

also thanks for beautiful story.
 Smiley

I do indeed! Thanks Smiley

Last night, my one year old walked over to our window sill, grabbed the icon of St. Cecilia, placed it on the floor, got down on both knees and bent over and kissed it, then scampered off to chew on something.

My favourite part of the story!

laugh
crazyms

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 12:53:30 AM »

That is so adorable! My youngest is 2 1/2 and I can only hope she behaves when we get to church. I'm more nervous about her than anything else in this new venture. These stories give me hope. Thank you!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 01:01:29 AM »

That is so adorable! My youngest is 2 1/2 and I can only hope she behaves when we get to church. I'm more nervous about her than anything else in this new venture. These stories give me hope. Thank you!

Bring a camera in case you encounter a Kodak moment.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 02:03:28 AM »

So cute and so fun. There's a little guys whose family stands right in front of us who never fails to brighten my morning. He's only starting to stand on his own but I look forward to the day when I may be able to tell a story like this about him.  Smiley

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Direct Archdiocesan District

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 03:05:19 AM »

Last Sunday during communion I was holding the altar cloth and a father came up with his little boy (about a year old) in his arms. The little boy communed, then his father leaned forward to do the same. While he did so, the boy ducked under the cloth and hugged the bottom of the chalice. Naturally--as I'm sure all altar servers could predict--I was frightened that the chalice would be pulled right out of father's hands as the father drew back; but no, the little boy gingerly withdrew his arms from the embrace. It was so sweet.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Gayle

Faith: Orthodox christan
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 03:13:32 AM »

my grandson who is not Orthodox went to church with my youngest daughter,and when we were driving into the church parking lot he exclaimed Look it's God city!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 04:02:17 AM »

My little 3 year old sister often interrupts me during prayer and comes into my bedroom. She kisses my Icons and frequently asks to kiss them out of the blue. She saw me making prostrations one night and copied me. She's especially fond of a small St. George Icon I have from a monastery.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 12:58:50 PM »

Such great stories! I love it  laugh
wainscottbl
Aspie weirdo of the forum
Archon

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Children crying in the lap of Santa are so cute!!!

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 02:12:14 PM »

This is with all the pleasure the sexual union may bring to a loving marriage, helping to perfect the love of the couple, its purpose, children are what really make a marriage happy. Or even the pleasures of having fun like my sister and her husband used to do before my niece was born. They used to go out to dinner once or twice a week. Now they are lucky to go out once a month. But the baby has made their marriage even more joyful. It has always been a happy marriage the two and half years but now I think the baby has made it more happy than when their marriage was without child and they were going out to dinner every week. I'm always getting pictures and videos of the baby doing cute and funny texted to me. And now they have another little girl on the way. Personally what I most look for in a marriage is the children. Romance is great but children really give strength to a marriage. I think all these yuppies and people who purposely refuse children to travel and make more love are once of the big causes of the culture of ruined marriage. Marriage is not about romance, at least not upon the whole. It's about children. The girl I was in love with in high school is married and divorced sadly but she had twins and I see so much happiness in her sweet natured virtues because of her children. I am sad that she had a bad marriage, but happy she has two wonderful children to make her happy. I think they have made her an even better person than she already was. They have made someone selfless even more selfless and noble.

"To love someone means to see him as God intended him."
                                                                   --Fyodor Dostoevsky
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: