OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 11:54:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first DL  (Read 1009 times) Average Rating: 0
crazyms

« on: December 29, 2013, 11:10:38 PM »

I found a local orthodox church and went today for the first time. It's amazing how different and surprising it all was even after knowing what to expect. It was the most beautiful service I've ever seen and the first time I've ever come out of church not feeling worn down or lost. I hope to attend again soon but was glad just to get in and see how things worked. I still have a lot of reading and thinking to do but now I really feel I am on the right path. I hope everyone else here had a great day as well.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 11:11:53 PM »

Glad to hear you liked the service.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 12:24:15 AM »

Glad you went and were uplifted!

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 01:39:54 AM »

I still remember being blown away at my first Divine Liturgy.  Glad you liked it!
WPM
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 04:16:05 AM »

How was it? ...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:16:34 AM by WPM » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 10:19:15 AM »

It is a wonderful feeling.  I hope you go again soon!

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 04:54:47 PM »

yay!
well done :-)

may God bless yr continued journey.
what was it in particular that was beautiful (if you are able to choose)?
crazyms

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 02:31:11 AM »

Thank you for all the encouragement everyone.

Mabsoota - I'm not sure I really can choose one thing in particular. It was a very different experience but I think it was the whole compilation of everything coming together. The icons of course were beautiful and the church itself pretty but I really enjoyed the way the service is done. The singing and flow of the service really help you feel involved and in worship, much more so than I ever felt hearing a sermon in a protestant church. The incense was great as well. I was concerned about the incense and if it would be assaulting to the senses like incense can be sometimes (I tend to be sensitive to really strong smells) but it was a wonderful scent. The entire way the worship is done really helped me feel connected and brought into it as though I was actually worshiping even if I wasn't so sure what was going on. It was a feeling I've never really felt before and I loved it.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 04:30:08 PM »

beautiful post, thanks!
i feel like that at church as well
 Smiley
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 05:21:14 PM »

Congrats on your first service. They get even better as you continue to go and become more and more familiar with everything that's happening. The service book can be helpful in that process. If you can ask to borrow one and take it home to read it that will help you learn and still be able to keep your head up during the service which it seems you would enjoy.  Smiley

Countdown to our Baptisms and Chrismations:

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
crazyms

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 11:32:07 PM »

Thanks! I'd thought about the service books. Are there any that you would recommend? I would love to get a better idea of the cycle of the year and the service. I loved it but it would help me feel more involved if I had a better idea of what was actually going on.

I am going again in the morning. We're having a liturgy for Circumcision of Christ and St. Basil the Great. My husband has a lot to do to get ready to leave for work again so he won't be coming this time but I'm going to bring the two oldest with me so they can see it. They're both very excited. We have never been particularly religious and they've had very little involvement with any church so they're thrilled with the idea. I hope they enjoy the service as much as I did. We plan to all go on his next Sunday home but I hope the kids like it tomorrow.
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 12:04:02 AM »

I would start with whatever book the church your attending is using. If the church has pews they may be found in the pews if not perhaps somewhere in the back of the church.

crazyms

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 12:10:57 AM »

Okay thanks. I'll check tomorrow or ask the priest about it. I am going to talk to him about other book suggestions for me anyways as well.
crazyms

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 12:32:39 PM »

I managed to make it back yesterday for the liturgy. I took my oldest with me and she loved it as much as I did. Of course she's very confused by a lot of it but she enjoyed it. She was upset that we were unable to attend vespers last night. I'm glad she enjoyed it so much and hope my younger two like it when they get to go. The biggest thing is still going to be seeing how my husband reacts to it all. He's agreed to attend with us the next time he's home so we shall see.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 12:41:15 PM »

I still remember being blown away at my first Divine Liturgy.

I still remember being confused at my first DL.  Tongue

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 12:49:12 PM »

Same here.

crazyms

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »

LOL blown away and confused!
Antonious

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 01:28:22 PM »

Crazyms,

I'm glad you went back, and that your daughter seemed to like Divine Liturgy as well. I am going back to my local parish this Sunday for the second time. We are both newbies. LOL. I'll have to ask about a service book as well (great suggestion Maximum Bob). Best wishes for the rest of your family.

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)
crazyms

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 06:52:24 PM »

Antonious - I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. I'm going to check on the service book this weekend when I go. At least they're having night services this Sunday so if I can't get out with the munchkins early enough we can still make it to church at least to one service.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 06:54:08 PM »

I remember crying tears of joy when attending my first Divine Liturgy.
I felt immediately at home.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 08:56:29 PM »

Crazyms,

I'm glad you went back, and that your daughter seemed to like Divine Liturgy as well. I am going back to my local parish this Sunday for the second time. We are both newbies. LOL. I'll have to ask about a service book as well (great suggestion Maximum Bob). Best wishes for the rest of your family.
Happy to try to help.  Happier yet if it works.  Grin

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 10:00:59 PM »

Antonious - I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. I'm going to check on the service book this weekend when I go. At least they're having night services this Sunday so if I can't get out with the munchkins early enough we can still make it to church at least to one service.
Matins for Theophany?

Not many churches have evening service on Sunday.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:23:48 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 10:39:15 PM »

Vespers for Theophany?

Not many churches have evening service on Sunday.

If I may, I don't think any church has Sunday evening vespers.

My Real Break group and I made that mistake when we were in Beyoğlu and paid a visit to Holy Trinity church. That was our point of reconvention, and when we went through the doors, we were informed by two men who were guarding the church that there's no vespers today, and that there's never been vespers on Sunday. We were all a little bit embarrassed as we walked out  Tongue.

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 11:21:20 PM »

I don't know I think we do on a very rare occasion.  Such as I think we would have weather permitting the Sunday prior to the Nativity last week.

crazyms

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 12:32:18 AM »

Yep... I'm confused by it. It's Matins but it's being done at 5pm Sunday? I thought Matins was a morning prayers service but I'm so new I may be confused here. It is listed as the Matins for the Feast of Theophany service just its set for 5pm this Sunday. Idk  laugh
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 12:52:02 AM »

Liturgical lyrics the day starts on the evening of the night before.  Just as is the case in Judaism.  So yes the Matins service could be held the night before.  I think the order in which the services happen counts more than how much time passes between them,  but maybe someone knows better than I.

crazyms

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 01:10:18 AM »

Ok that would make sense. I wasn't sure but I'm very new lol. Thanks for the explanation. That is the service they're having though and I'm hoping to see it even if we can't make it to liturgy. I love the liturgy but it's all I've seen so far so I'm looking forward to seeing the matins and a vespers service soon too.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 01:33:08 AM »

I remember crying tears of joy when attending my first Divine Liturgy.
I felt immediately at home.

Melkite or EO?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 06:02:51 AM »

If I may, I don't think any church has Sunday evening vespers.

I know one.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
crazyms

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 02:57:26 PM »

They have actually cancelled the Matins tonight anyways. That's okay with me since we're expecting some storms tonight. I did get to church with the kids this morning though. I was really worried but surprised at how well my toddler behaved. My son was actually more trouble but he's hard to keep still anyways. The chanting he said was "loud" and hurt his ears. This isn't uncommon for him but I'm sad he didn't feel comfortable. I'm hoping he'll feel better next time when he knows better what to expect. I still enjoyed going even if I didn't get to pay as much attention. I'm hoping it gets easier lol
Auryn

Faith: Catholic converting to Orthodox

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 02:54:12 AM »

I went last Sunday.  I cried.  It was so beautiful.  I can't wait to go again this Sunday and hopefully I can go to Vespers tomorrow.  It was canceled last week. 

If there is prayer, the soul lives; without prayer, there is no spiritual life. + St. Theophan the Recluse +
crazyms

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014, 03:21:13 PM »

I'm glad you enjoyed it too. I missed this morning since dh let me sleep in after working late last night. It was sweet of him but I'm upset about missing. I haven't been able to attend a Sat vespers yet since I work every Sat night. I'm hoping this will change soon because it's hard to make it to church when I work all weekend. Just one more reason my job isn't good for me. Sad
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: