OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 10:17:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CAF Ban?  (Read 897 times) Average Rating: 0
alexpetros

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Go sábhála Dia Éire.

« on: December 29, 2013, 10:38:49 PM »

I was just banned from CAF for "Contempt for Catholicism, disrepsect for Catholics and agenda of EO proselytizing" by posting this:

If primacy is a charism of being a direct line from Peter, why is Antioch forth? Why is it not second, or first with Rome being second?
If infallibility was given to Peter alone, then both Petrine seas have this charism. One is claiming the infallibility to himself (Rome), while the other is denying it and maintains the conciliar nature of the episcopoi (Antioch). This is conflicting bindings by those who have the keys. Therefore one is right and the other is wrong. Is Rome right for having the highest honor among the Pentarchs? Or is Antioch right in agreeing with the other four?

Um...what???

Oh, and the thread which was about 8 pages has been completely deleted.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:39:45 PM by alexpetros » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 10:50:51 PM »

I was just banned from CAF for "Contempt for Catholicism, disrepsect for Catholics and agenda of EO proselytizing" by posting this:

If primacy is a charism of being a direct line from Peter, why is Antioch forth? Why is it not second, or first with Rome being second?
If infallibility was given to Peter alone, then both Petrine seas have this charism. One is claiming the infallibility to himself (Rome), while the other is denying it and maintains the conciliar nature of the episcopoi (Antioch). This is conflicting bindings by those who have the keys. Therefore one is right and the other is wrong. Is Rome right for having the highest honor among the Pentarchs? Or is Antioch right in agreeing with the other four?

Um...what???

That don't like those who don't shut up and guzzle down the Kool-Aid and like it.

You can read about the great Orthodox purge here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13287.0.html

Btw, your reasoning is sound.  Which is why they can't have you posting there.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:52:07 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 11:13:50 PM »

That's odd. I've made that exact point in not so many words many times over there, and not been banned for it. I'm frequently given infractions for "contempt toward Catholicism", though. I don't know why they wouldn't take intermediate steps with you as they have with me (e.g., suspension, rather than banning). Mods work in mysterious ways, I suppose. Anyway, sorry that happened to you, Alex. Sad

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 11:26:36 PM »

That's odd. I've made that exact point in not so many words many times over there, and not been banned for it. I'm frequently given infractions for "contempt toward Catholicism", though. I don't know why they wouldn't take intermediate steps with you as they have with me (e.g., suspension, rather than banning). Mods work in mysterious ways, I suppose. Anyway, sorry that happened to you, Alex. Sad
I posted similar and wasn't banned for it.  Perhaps with repetition it is attracting too many eager ears (or eyes)? Wink

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ThePapist

Faith: Roman Catholic/Debating Orthodoxy

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 12:43:13 AM »

I have had a friend get banned on CAF for talking about "wanting to possibly convert to Orthodoxy." I guess doubting Catholicism isn't tolerated. I'm sorry that this has happened to many of you on behalf of the true faithful Catholics on CAF who are willing to hear the Orthodox side of the aisle.

God bless!
Misplaced Book
Don't Mind Me.....

Jurisdiction: Constantinople

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:24:46 AM »

I too ended my run at CAF this week (the reasons for my banning were identical to yours).   Was it the thread about silly Apologetic Arguments that Latins use?   If so than that is disturbing, as it seems it was a blanket ban on anybody who participated in it (or perhaps just any Orthodox who poked their nose in there).  Montalban was banned, a poster with almost 8,000 posts to his/her credit.    I posted a link to the Catholic Answers Tract on Eastern Orthodoxy in that thread and snarkily noted how wrong it is....so I figured that my banning was inevitable but why ban you or anyone else?

I am not dwelling on it,  but things seem to be getting heated and hostile for Orthodox over there lately.   I did get belligerent at times, in particular returning the fire of some posters over there when I should not have.

It is good that Dzheremi and Cavaradossi have not been banned, as their defenses of Orthodoxy sabotage the Polemics with real Information.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:25:38 AM by Misplaced Book » Logged
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 09:56:12 PM »

They purge a lot more of us than you.

Trust me.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
ThePapist

Faith: Roman Catholic/Debating Orthodoxy

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 10:11:54 PM »

They purge a lot more of us than you.

Trust me.

That is sadly true.

More of us Traditional Catholics get purged than Orthodox, any day. I don't get why opposing modernism would get you removed from a Catholic site though. Its sad.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 10:13:50 PM »

Purged? Complex much?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
alexpetros

Go sábhála Dia Éire.

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 12:16:14 AM »

I too ended my run at CAF this week (the reasons for my banning were identical to yours).   Was it the thread about silly Apologetic Arguments that Latins use?   If so than that is disturbing, as it seems it was a blanket ban on anybody who participated in it (or perhaps just any Orthodox who poked their nose in there).  Montalban was banned, a poster with almost 8,000 posts to his/her credit.    I posted a link to the Catholic Answers Tract on Eastern Orthodoxy in that thread and snarkily noted how wrong it is....so I figured that my banning was inevitable but why ban you or anyone else?

I am not dwelling on it,  but things seem to be getting heated and hostile for Orthodox over there lately.   I did get belligerent at times, in particular returning the fire of some posters over there when I should not have.

It is good that Dzheremi and Cavaradossi have not been banned, as their defenses of Orthodoxy sabotage the Polemics with real Information.

That was the post, yes!!!
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 12:23:15 AM »

I haven't ever looked at that place, but really to place Jeremy into the same sentence with Cavaradossi is madness. Cavaradossi is no lightweight in any area, much less when he is in one of his many wheelhouses, one of which appears to be destroying RC apologetics.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 03:08:04 AM »

Um...what???

Part of my wants to say congrats on being banned.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 04:45:28 AM »

I've just been banned 'forever' from Catholic Answers. Anyone else had that honour?

Reason....

Your account has been locked for the following reason:
 Contempt for Catholicism, disrepsect for Catholics and agenda of EO proselytizing

This change will be lifted: Never

I've never disrepsected anyone  laugh

However, seriously I started a thread about two very weak arguments Catholic apologists make:

One is based on stats - that aside from Jesus Peter is mentioned more times in the NT than anyone else

The other is based on a premise that is itself flawed - that Peter is always mentioned first in lists of apostles. The conclusion is based on the idea that it is significant, because it is, because it is, but the premise itself is flawed because there are exceptions
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:47:27 AM by montalban » Logged

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 04:56:54 AM »

We had a thread about six years ago where a bunch of CAF refugees gathered to discuss a mass purge CAF had conducted on their site, a purge that saw a large number of Orthodox posters get banned. It's even a sticky on this section, though I believe it is now locked.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:57:57 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 06:03:20 AM »

I was just banned from CAF

Welcome to the club.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Jovan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 06:14:56 AM »

Comrades, be brave, THIS IS OC NET!!!

http://therproject.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/warning-this-is-sparta-300.jpg

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 08:41:21 AM »

Might I suggest it their loss and not yours....
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 09:03:48 AM »

Welcome to the club.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 09:06:08 AM »

I do not believe I have been banned there. Though I haven't made many posts either.

EDIT--Eleven posts in 2 1/2 years, to be exact.

EDIT--Though now that I think about it, I think I had my first account there c. 2001ish, and got banned on that one. Or maybe I didn't. Was that Byzcafe that banned me? Or both? I'm not sure...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:10:50 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 09:24:49 AM »

I suggest all of the "I got banned from CAF" threads be merged into one.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 09:27:42 AM »

Was that Byzcafe that banned me? Or both? I'm not sure...
Do you mean "Byzcath"?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 09:36:05 AM »

Was that Byzcafe that banned me? Or both? I'm not sure...
Do you mean "Byzcath"?

That may be it, I am unable to remember anything about it, as I experienced it as in a dream.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 09:40:17 AM »

The great irony is that they have a banner saying that they are 'defending the faith'. Obviously defence involves muting argument

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 10:19:40 AM »

banner

There are two senses to this word here.  Also, there is a certain consistency about it, I have to admit.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »

The two threads that have been running in parallel on this subject have since been merged.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 02:58:10 AM »

Purged? Complex much?

What complex is it to say one is purged from a site? He did not say killed or martyred or any such thing

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 10:56:58 PM »

I've just been banned 'forever' from Catholic Answers. Anyone else had that honour?

Reason....

Your account has been locked for the following reason:
 Contempt for Catholicism, disrepsect for Catholics and agenda of EO proselytizing

This change will be lifted: Never

I've never disrepsected anyone  laugh

However, seriously I started a thread about two very weak arguments Catholic apologists make:

One is based on stats - that aside from Jesus Peter is mentioned more times in the NT than anyone else

The other is based on a premise that is itself flawed - that Peter is always mentioned first in lists of apostles. The conclusion is based on the idea that it is significant, because it is, because it is, but the premise itself is flawed because there are exceptions
The "agenda for EO proselytizing" is new.  We must be getting under Karl's skin.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 10:58:32 PM »

The great irony is that they have a banner saying that they are 'defending the faith'. Obviously defence involves muting argument
of course.  the best defense is no opponent.

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 11:45:35 PM »

I have been posting and observing there for several years now, and I can honestly say I've never seen an EO poster proselytize anyone. Maybe I missed that, but I kinda doubt it. Then again, I've been accused of proselytizing for inviting in the broadest terms possible any who might wish to attend the Coptic Orthodox liturgy at St. Bishoy COC in Albuquerque, as it is after all open to all to experience provided they not try to commune if they are not OO (I wished to highlight this in the context of a discussion where some RC member was going off about how terribly "ethnic" and unwelcoming the Orthodox supposedly are...y'know, so ethnic that they let the likes of me in). So perhaps some overly sensitive Latin mistook friendliness or (more likely) basic disagreement with RC dogmas and explanation of EO stances for proselytizing. Weird. I like some of the individual posters, but it's not a great atmosphere over there sometimes.

Math lover

Faith: Shia Muslim
Jurisdiction: Twelver

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 09:59:34 AM »

I too get banned for no same reason (but not proselytizing).
I was asking why do you think the Bible is the word of God (on a thread opened by a Christian asking the same question), only to get the silly answer "because the Catholic Church says so". Gosh! If I were to take the word of the RCC, I would have converted.
Then I told the OP, see they have no answer and pointed to Biblical contradictions, lol!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: