OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 07:10:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is currently holding or what held you back initially the most from converting to Orthodoxy?
Family - 16 (33.3%)
Difference in music at Divine Liturgy - 1 (2.1%)
Lack of lay eucharistic ministers - 1 (2.1%)
No Pope - 3 (6.3%)
OC is too flexible on moral issues - 3 (6.3%)
OC is not flexible enough on moral issues - 4 (8.3%)
Too ethnic - 5 (10.4%)
No woman priests/deacons - 2 (4.2%)
No altar girls - 2 (4.2%)
Other - 11 (22.9%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you waiting for?  (Read 933 times) Average Rating: 0
homedad76

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: December 28, 2013, 11:29:36 AM »

Just wondering for myself about other peoples conversion, or lack of, experience around here.  I know some of the things that are making the switch difficult.  I actually think this is good though since changing ones religious faith, even from within Christianity, should not be taken lightly.

"However hard I try, I find it impossible to construct anything greater than these three words, 'Love one another' —only to the end, and without exceptions: then all is justified and life is illumined, whereas otherwise it is an abomination and a burden."

—Mother Maria of Paris
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 12:15:58 PM »

This poll lacks option "I fear I became like those lunatics on OC.net".

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 12:32:28 PM »

Ha ha.  Just like the rest of us, you're on that list.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 12:41:35 PM »

Seems like family/culture is a big hurdle.  Sometimes it's hard to distinguish between the big T Tradition and the pious little t traditions.  Although I've been Orthodox now for purt' near 10 years, sometimes I feel like I'm pretending to be something I'm not.  Like adopting Greek or Russian customs that, although pious and sincere, don't really have much to do with the Big T Traditions.  I reckon this is what some of y'all round here call LARPing (Live Action Role Playing).  I sure don't mean to offend, but some of these little t traditions seem mighty strange and foreign to the rural folks of the Ozark mountains and so, I could see where it'd be a culture shock to some families if it weren't approached and explained carefully.  Sometimes I feel like I stand out like a drag queen at a tractor pull.  Cheesy  Does any of this make sense?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
homedad76

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 03:08:47 PM »

Sometimes it's hard to distinguish between the big T Tradition and the pious little t traditions.

A way I've always distinguished between the 2 is big T are about what we believe and little t are about what we do, more specifically little t's are often how big T's express themselves in their contemporary culture.

"However hard I try, I find it impossible to construct anything greater than these three words, 'Love one another' —only to the end, and without exceptions: then all is justified and life is illumined, whereas otherwise it is an abomination and a burden."

—Mother Maria of Paris
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 03:14:01 PM »

What's not holding you can be question as well. My conscience as far as the truth is a good place to look.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 03:14:47 PM by IoanC » Logged
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 02:27:25 AM »

Used to be family, not any more now it's just process time.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 09:35:06 AM »

1. I was waiting to be 18. And the issue of my mother, I had predicted she would be upset about the conversion to "the faith of my father" (you know, it has nothing to do with faith, just that I prefer father Roll Eyes), so that's why I waited a few years. So it was family problem. Eventually, mother has accepted it and from time to time also attend Orthodox services and observe Orthodox Pascha more than earlier, as now with my father we're the majority in the family Wink

2. And issues connected with liturgical aspects, that although it's Orthodox Church, there are some not proper and not correct things (e.g Vesperal Liturgy done in the morning of the Maundy Thursday) and, a minor thing, chanting that I'm not used to, as my roots are Serbian (so, the thing about chant you can call ethnic problem in some way). But in the end I thought that Orthodox Church is still the most Orthodox in the world and despite having proper Paschal Vigil and Maundy Thursday, Roman Catholics don't have the rest of the Holy Week and Lazarus Saturday and very bad, modern "liturgy", and above all, they are heretics I'm still not used to it and probably they're most difficult issues for me now in Orthodoxy, really.

3. There was also fear about very rare taking Holy Eucharist and not meeting a good spiritual father and confessor (before being Orthodox I had a Catholic one, who was accepting my Orthodox views), but I fortunately I was wrong and met wonderful priest, so both these problems turned out to be fictitious.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
ThePapist

Faith: Roman Catholic/Debating Orthodoxy

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 02:01:13 PM »

What is holding me back from converting to the Orthodox Church would have to be that there is no Pope. I don't want to get into the argument right now and if someone thinks they can convince me otherwise, please PM me but I see the scriptural and historical evidence along with the early church fathers proof that there has always been a papacy.

I do commend the Orthodox on their deep spirituality and maintenance of tradition that is sadly falling in mainstream Catholicism today. That's why I am a traditional Catholic.

God bless!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 02:04:39 PM »

We have a pope.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ThePapist

Faith: Roman Catholic/Debating Orthodoxy

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »

We have a pope.

You don't have the successor of St. Peter as your Pope in Rome as Church tradition has it, though.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 02:08:53 PM »

You don't have the successor of St. Peter as your Pope in Rome as Church tradition has it, though.

Neither does the Roman Catholic Church.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 02:46:56 PM »

We,  the Antiochian Church,  do.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:58:01 PM by Maximum Bob » Logged

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 05:03:28 PM »

We,  the Antiochian Church,  do.

+1

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Christina
Troublemaker

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Lord, have mercy!

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 11:38:04 PM »

I would've converted immediately, but the priest made me attend services and classes and read a lot of books for about 7 months.

"You cursed and lost man!  Instead of enduring pain for a single hour, you have made yourself worthy of eternal torment."  ~St. Christina of Ancyra~
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 12:35:47 AM »

+1

(Of course, one can console oneself with the knowledge that they're not really Orthodox anyway. That's how I'm able to get to sleep at night. Smiley )

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 01:55:41 AM »

Knowledge. I fear a repeat of when I was Muslim, and instead of fully learning before converting I did it as I went. I can't have that happen again as stupid as it may sound.

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
homedad76

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 09:41:06 AM »

I too fear jumping in too fast.  I tend to get very gung ho about things and run in full tilt and overzealous.  Then I find myself either burned out or regretting because I didn't take the time to consider all the angles.  My family also knows this about me so tends to take any new passions with a grain of salt.  I know this type of decision needs the time it deserves.   I have contacted my local priest though and hope to hear from him soon with some advice.

—Mother Maria of Paris
RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »

What is holding me back from converting to the Orthodox Church would have to be that there is no Pope. I don't want to get into the argument right now and if someone thinks they can convince me otherwise, please PM me but I see the scriptural and historical evidence along with the early church fathers proof that there has always been a papacy.

I do commend the Orthodox on their deep spirituality and maintenance of tradition that is sadly falling in mainstream Catholicism today. That's why I am a traditional Catholic.

God bless!

The COC has a Pope. angel

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »

Knowledge. I fear a repeat of when I was Muslim, and instead of fully learning before converting I did it as I went. I can't have that happen again as stupid as it may sound.

I get it.

Shiranui117
Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"

Faith: Orthodox (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: ACROD/OCA

PUDDI PUDDI!

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »

Mainly a lack of certainty about what I want to do (and/or what God wants to do) with my life and where I should be going. I also don't want to rush into the Orthodox Church the same way I rushed into the Catholic Church.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 03:48:46 PM by Shiranui117 » Logged
crazyms

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 09:48:03 PM »

I'm also not wanting to jump in too fast. I'm lucky that I found a good local church with a great priest to help me along but I don't know how much that will even help. I'm still learning more about the faith everyday and just trying to get accustomed to the changes that are coming along the way. I also have family concerns - not that extended family will care. Honestly coming into this from being "non-Christian" they'll just be thrilled I went to ANY Christian church. It's my little family that's a hangup - making sure I'm doing the absolute right thing in my heart for my kids and that my husband accepts it. I can't expose my kids to this new life and then change my mind.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 12:50:51 AM »

why save my soul while I can delay! i am sure i wont die any time soon....

KNOCK ON WOOD

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Auryn

Faith: Catholic converting to Orthodox

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 11:59:10 AM »

Mainly a lack of certainty about what I want to do (and/or what God wants to do) with my life and where I should be going. I also don't want to rush into the Orthodox Church the same way I rushed into the Catholic Church.

Same

If there is prayer, the soul lives; without prayer, there is no spiritual life. + St. Theophan the Recluse +
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »

You should add geography.  I'm not convinced that Protestantism is so godless as to require me to drive two hours by myself to the nearest parish.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 05:28:10 PM »

Sure, why inconvenience yourself to experience the fullness of the Faith?

In fact, why bother to go to any church at all? Just sit out in the backyard in your jammies. After all, God is everywhere.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:29:10 PM by katherineofdixie » Logged

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »

In fact, why bother to go to any church at all? Just sit out in the backyard in your jammies. After all, God is everywhere.

Well said, sister!  Kiss
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 06:45:39 PM »

LOL, that was kinda harsh, but it did make me laugh.  laugh

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 07:00:05 PM »

You don't seem to have an option for "I want it to be true, but I really question whether it is".  angel

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
WPM
St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, Pray for us.
Archon

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »

Its time to examine the real reasons for becoming Orthodox.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:31:04 PM by WPM » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 07:40:02 PM »

God bless!

Have you visited Orthodox parishes before?  Many times?  Sorry If I just haven't paid attention if you've mentioned this.
Steponas

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 07:49:29 PM »

When I converted to Catholicism I felt like this.

But when I discern converting to Orthodoxy I feel like this.

I am leaning towards becoming Orthodox, but the entire process to me is rather intimidating and scary.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 08:03:04 PM »

But when I discern converting to Orthodoxy I feel like this.

I am leaning towards becoming Orthodox, but the entire process to me is rather intimidating and scary.
LOL! this made me really laugh.  laugh

homedad76

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 08:43:55 PM »

So whistling and dancing but apparently driving backwards?  Wink

—Mother Maria of Paris
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2014, 09:57:59 PM »

I am heavily involved in my Protestant church where I have experienced, what I believe to be, much grace, love and truth.  There are reasons in addition to geography for my not attending the nearest parish - it is more a combination of factors.  In the future my situation my change in which case I look forward to begin frequently visiting a parish.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: