OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 04:26:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trisagion in Oriental Orthodoxy  (Read 2040 times) Average Rating: 0
Ghazar
Armenian Orthodox Christian

"Ghazaros, toors yegoor:" "Lazarus, come forth."

« on: March 05, 2005, 01:05:56 AM »

Dear Brethren,

St. John of Damascus, takes the Armenian Church to task for inserting the words "Who was Crucified for us" in the Trisagion, thus making it a Christological prayer rather than a Trinitarian one.  Does any other OO Church do this as well?

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light,
Rev. Sub-Deacon Ghazaros Der-Ghazarian,
Holy Apostolic Orthodox Church of Armenia, Eastern Diocese USA
The Armenian Orthodox Evangelization Mission: www.looys.net
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 08:07:48 AM »

I think every OO Church does this, since it is a bone of contention between our Churches, at least if Athos is to be believed.  It's interesting that the grammatical structure of the prayer in Greek as the Greeks pray it leads one to believe that only one person is being addressed. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Stavro
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 08:33:37 PM »

The Coptic Church definitely says "Who was Crucified for us" before " Who rose from the dead and ascended into heaven" and after "born of the Virgin" , and these are a very sound christological phrases that were used to fight Nestorianism, Arianism and many other heresies.

What is the EO version of the Trisagion ?

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 09:48:50 PM »

I thought that the Trisagion was the whole "Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal" part, along with the "Most Holy Trinity have mercy on us, O Lord cleanse us..." wa ma ila thalek =)  Am I off on this?  It looks as if you all are discussing The Creed and not the Trisagion Prayers (but it is highly likely that I have no idea what I'm talking about).
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 10:05:41 PM »

I thought that the Trisagion was the whole "Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal" part, along with the "Most Holy Trinity have mercy on us, O Lord cleanse us..." wa ma ila thalek =) Am I off on this? It looks as if you all are discussing The Creed and not the Trisagion Prayers (but it is highly likely that I have no idea what I'm talking about).

Dear J,

Great question! It certainly does help to get terminology cleared up.

"The Trisagion" almost always means "Holy God, Holy Might, Holy Immortal (may have insert in some traditions), have mercy on us!" The "Usual Beginning" is like what is sounds like and starts' "Glory to Thee, O God..." and continues with the "Heavenly King" to the "Our Father." "The Trisagion prayers" are almost the same as the usual beginning (but start after the "Heavenly King" would). In Vespers we have both, the usual beginning at the beginning and the Trisagion prayers after the "Lord, now lettest Thou thy servant depart..."

In some OO Churches the seasonal interpolation was cause for suspicion of Theopaschism.

The "Sanctus" is the hymn "Holy, Holy, Holy Lord of Sabaoth...."

It seems the Greeks call a (short?) memorial just "Trisagion" or perhaps "a Trisagion."  I have heard some OCA clergy use this language.  The connection seems that "The Trisagion" is also the funeral procession hymn and is inscribed on coffins in some traditions, etc.  In the Russian usage I know, the funeral (after the initial blessing) starts with "The Trisagion." 

I hope this helps and does not confuse. (<probably wrong but I am trying)

TonyS

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Thomas Daniel (Reji)
Chevalier
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Archdiocese of Syriac Orthodox Church

Proud to say belongs to Syriac Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 03:00:15 AM »

Trisagion in Syriac Orthodox Church as follows

Leader: Holy art Thou, O God.

People:
Holy art Thou, Almighty;
Holy art Thou, Immortal;
+ Crucified for us, have mercy on us. (Thrice)

Leader: Lord, have mercy upon us,

People: Lord, be kind and have mercy;
Lord, accept our prayers and worship and have mercy on us.

Leader: Glory be to Thee, O God;

People: Glory be to Thee, O creator;
Glory be to Thee, O Christ, the King who does pity sinners, Thy servants.
Barekhmor (Syr.) means "bless my Lord"

Oh.. Morth Mariam Yoldath Aloho (Mother Of God)Pray For Us
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 04:37:11 PM »

William,

All OO Churches insert who was crucified for us.

The Maronites Catholics insert this and other phrases like who was born of the Virgin for us, who was baptised for us, etc. depending on the feast and season.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Stavro
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 05:36:20 PM »

Copts say it:

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal ...who was born from the Virgin, have mercy on us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal... who was crucified for us, have mercy on us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal... who rose from the dead and ascended to the heaven, have mercy on us.

J,
you know arabic ?

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 01:25:43 AM »

Yes, Stavros, I know Arabic.  You?
Stavro
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 04:19:17 PM »

Yes, J, I speak arabic fluently. I am egyptian.

J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 04:59:00 PM »

La oheb al lehaja al Musriya, hahaha.  Heeya saaba jiden!  Or should I say, "lehega" and "giden" hahaha.  They only give us dialect for about two weeks per region, and that's only for Egyptian, Syrian/Levant and Iraqi/Gulf dialects.  We don't get anywhere near North African, but I'm told I should be grateful for that!  Other than the meager dialect courses, we learn strictly Fus'ha (MSA).  I actually have a few Coptic teachers, as well as several other OO teachers.
Fortunatus
Son of Antony

Faith: Orthodox

'If thou wilt be perfect...'

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 11:17:56 PM »

+Irini nem ehmot

Copts will also change verses according to the season.

On Theophany we say "Who was baptised in the Jordan", on Great Thursday and Great Friday, it is only "Who was crucified for us", during the first 40 days leading up to the Ascension we only say "Who rose from the dead" etc...

On all normal days (and fasts) we sing the three verses Stavro has quoted above. Smiley

Please pray for me.

Agape,
         Fortunatus
Amen, maranatha!
"A man's life or death cometh from his neighbour; if we benefit our brother we benefit ourselves, and if we offend him we sin against God." - The Great Abba Antony
Ghazar
Armenian Orthodox Christian

"Ghazaros, toors yegoor:" "Lazarus, come forth."

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 09:09:05 PM »

We Armenians also have propers for different feasts:

Who was crucified for us
Who has risen from the dead
Who came and is to come
Who came to take Your mother the Virgin

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light,
Rev. Sub-Deacon Ghazaros Der-Ghazarian,
Holy Apostolic Orthodox Church of Armenia, Eastern Diocese USA