OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:43:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this an anti-OCA website?  (Read 1938 times) Average Rating: 0
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« on: March 05, 2005, 12:51:32 AM »

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ :
       Please forgive me . Why is the OCA perceived in such a negitive manner on this website?

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 12:56:18 AM »

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ :
 Please forgive me . Why is the OCA perceived in such a negitive manner on this website?

What are you referring to exactly?  I don't see any anti-OCA bias here.  Two of the administrators are students at St. Vladimir's.  I think more of us here are in the OCA than in any other jurisdiction. 

Frankly, it seems to me that the GOA gets more 'abuse' here than the other jurisdictions. 

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 01:08:30 AM »

This is in no way an anti-OCA website. The website is not anti-anything; while a few people may be anti-this or that, that is not a reflection on the site as a whole.

Anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 01:28:57 AM »

A lot of people have critiques (some valid, some not so) of most Orthodox groups, jurisdictions and such.  That doesn't make them anti- whatever to have valid critiques.  For example I get most of my spiritual direction and frequently attend a GOA monastery, but my home parish where I go for most Sunday of the year is under the ROCOR.  From my experience with both jurisdictions I have seen some shortcomings and positives within each - but I don't think that makes me either anti - GOA nor anti - ROCOR!
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 04:27:59 AM »

what every has said already is right on. i would add that some of us at this site, myself included, view the OCA as the future for American Orthodoxy, in that it is the most likely candidate for uniting the Orthodox faithful of American under a single juristiction, most likely not in our lifetimes, but someday...if OCnet were anti-OCA, i wouldnt be here. if it were anti-anything i'd be suspicious, but as Anastasios said, it isn't anti-anything, and in my 1+ year experience here (not as much as many, but still something), i agree.

hmmmm...
epektasis

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 12:38:08 PM »

i would add that some of us at this site, myself included, view the OCA as the future for American Orthodoxy...

"The future of American Orthodoxy."   This is the reason that some of us at this site have expressed fears and reservations that might be perceived as "anti-OCA" but are in fact genuine concerns about the future.

BTW, I'm in the OCA.

NULL
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 04:03:24 PM »

"The future of American Orthodoxy."   This is the reason that some of us at this site have expressed fears and reservations that might be perceived as "anti-OCA" but are in fact genuine concerns about the future.

that's fair. and it's also why i dont see it occurring in our lifetimes, since the many other juristictions present in America still have a LOT to teach us - the OCA is definitely not ready to be the only juristiction here in America. i just feel like it will be one day, if God wills it.

hmmmm...
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 04:32:38 PM »

One more thing, if we didn't love our jurisdictions we wouldn't criticize them.  We love our hierarchs (well, for the most part), but even though we should be obedient to them, the faithful needs to keep them in check as well - just like in the time of St. Mark of Ephesus.  In case some don't know, St. Mark of Ephesus was the ONLY Orthodox Bishop who didn't sign the unification agreement with the Latins at the Council of Florence (or was it Trent?).  Even though the other Bishops recanted when they got home, the faithful let them know of their disproval and tradition has it that all of the ya-yas/babas/etc. spit on their hierarchs' hands when going up for a blessing.  They then repented and begged forgiveness of the faithful.

Oh, and I think the Antiochians are #2 for criticism behind the GOA here. Grin
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 08:07:09 PM »

Thanks you brothers and sisters for your thoughts on this matter. I am a recent convert (after not attending ANY church for thirty years ) and one of the things that rang true in my heart( about Orthodoxy) is the concept that God is a merciful God, a loving God, and that the greatest sin is judging another human being. However, I have run across  judgmental Orthodox who love to toss the word"heritic" around like it is a basketball because whatever reason ,
 ( GOA`s problem with OCA...Chalcedon...old believers..etc..etc..). I just find it ironic that for people who are bound not to judge ANYONE , we spend an a lot of time judging our fellow Orthodox.    In Christ.....Moses   +++

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 08:28:12 PM »

I understand Mo the Ethio; we need more time before our icons and less before the keyboard...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 10:42:00 PM »

I agree with Mo's sentiment. It's hard to not criticize things we see as wrong. But sometimes we are the ones who are wrong. It's a tough line to tread.

Anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: