Author Topic: Converting Because "It Works"  (Read 310 times)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
Converting Because "It Works"
« on: December 26, 2013, 01:16:06 PM »
There are a variety of reasons for converting to a religion. What is your opinion of people who convert to Orthodoxy because they say "it works"? Maybe someone isn't sure that Orthodoxy is "the Church Jesus founded" or "the faith that established the universe" or whatever. Maybe they aren't even sure about certain doctrines that most would consider mandatory (though they aren't speaking out against these doctrines either).  They say they convert because they were sick/hurt/suicidal/whatever, and that Orthodoxy helped them, changed them, gave their life meaning, etc.  Maybe they say something like "I would have been dead had I not become Orthodox."  What would you say to such a person?

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Converting Because "It Works"
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 01:23:40 PM »
I would say "I'm glad it helped you."
Will we all have to prove our Orthodoxy by adopting St Nicholas avatars now?

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »
Though it wasn't why I started looking at Orthodoxy years before I converted, "It is the only thing that works for me," was probably what sustained me through the final Lent before my chrismation. Like St. Peter answered Christ, "Where else would we go?"
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Anastasia1

• My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 02:18:05 PM »
Though it wasn't why I started looking at Orthodoxy years before I converted, "It is the only thing that works for me," was probably what sustained me through the final Lent before my chrismation. Like St. Peter answered Christ, "Where else would we go?"

I want to be like, "amen" to this, but it isn't a Baptist sermon.

It's better to be where God's truth might be than to be where you should not be. You gotta be somewhere.
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)